O’ Harry Potter… so many possibilities

As a children’s lit academia nut, of course I adore Harry Potter. I gobbled up every one of the books as they hit the stands, starting way back when in—sheesh, ’98 was it? And I’ve done many a Harry Potter cookie over the years, for the cookie possibilities are many. Gryffindor shields, Hedwig, the Sorting Hat, broomsticks, Potions books, cauldrons, castles, Dementors, wands, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Hagrid, The Daily Prophet, Bertie Bott’s… And so, narrowing down my choices to just a few for this post was near impossible. I may add more later, but for now, here are some tips to making Harry’s glasses, a lightning bolt and a broomstick.

For the glasses, I used a bikini top cookie cutter. I cut out the others by hand, so I included a pdf HERE for you. If preferred, print the document and cut out the shapes to use as templates. Simply lay the template on rolled out dough and cut out with a knife. Smooth edges with your fingers, bake according to the recipe and let cool completely.

LIGHTNING BOLTS

you will need:*
dough
icing
lightening cutter or template
1 frosting bag
1 coupler
1 size 4 tip
1 rubber band
yellow frosting color
yellow sanding sugar or sprinkles

*You can find most supplies at any major craft store. For the frosting color, I used Americolor soft gel paste, Egg Yellow.

to decorate lightning bolts:
Prepare a frosting bag fitted with the coupler and size 4 tip and fill with gold colored frosting. Tie closed with a rubber band. Outline lightening shape and let set 15 minutes. Piping yellow frosting back and forth, fill shape completely. Immediately sprinkle yellow sanding sugar generously over lightening bolt and shake off excess. Let dry overnight.

BROOMSTICKS

you will need:*
dough
icing
broomstick cutter or template
4 frosting bags
4 couplers
5 tips (1 size “2”, 2 of size “3,” 2 of size “4”)
4 rubber bands
yellow, brown and black frosting colors

*You can find most supplies at any major craft store. For the frosting color, I used Americolor soft gel paste, Egg Yellow, Chocolate Brown and Super Black.

to decorate broomsticks:
Prepare 4 colors of frosting: black, brown, light yellow, and gold. Prepare 4 frosting bags and fill with your colors. Black and light yellow should have a “3” tip, brown and gold each a “4” tip. Tie each closed with a rubber band. Outline your broomstick with the black 3 tip as shown. Let set about 15 minutes. Piping back and forth, fill broomstick completely as shown, brown for the handle, gold for the shaft. With the light yellow “3” tip, pipe the straw. Switch tip on the black to size “2.” Pipe wood details on top of the handle. Let dry overnight.

HARRY’S GLASSES

you will need:*
dough
icing
eyeglasses cutter or template
4 frosting bags
4 couplers
4 tips (2 of size “3”, 1 of size “4,” 1 of size “2”)
4 rubber bands
brown, black, light blue and white frosting color

*You can find most supplies at any major craft store. For the frosting color, I used Americolor soft gel pastes, Chocolate Brown, Super Black, Sky Blue and Bright White.

to decorate glasses:
Prepare 4 colors of frosting: black, chocolate brown, light blue and white. Prepare 4 frosting bags and fill with your colors. Black should have a “3” tip, brown and light blue each a “4” tip, white a “2” tip. Outline cookie as shown with black 3 tip. Let set about 15 minutes. Fill frames with brown “4” tip. Fill centers of glasses with light blue. Let centers set well, about 20 minutes. Pipe highlights with white 2 tip on top of blue. Let dry overnight.

1. Cheryl
    Posted July 24, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

those are AWESOME!!

2. Amalia
    Posted July 24, 2009 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Harry Potter is the same, congratulations!
    Thanks for the pdf and ideas!
    Hello!

3. Marian
    Posted July 25, 2009 at 11:53 am | Permalink

These cookies are absolutely fabulous!!! Love them!!

4. Bridget
    Posted July 25, 2009 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

OH! These are some of my favorite cookies EVER!!! After seeing the movie last week, I was thinking of what Harry Potter cookie I could make. Now, I have all these possibilities!!! :) Yours are amazing!

5. Rachel@oneprettything.com
    Posted July 26, 2009 at 1:15 am | Permalink

Argh! These are so cute! I'll be linking in my next Crafty Food Roundup.

6. cookies and cups
    Posted July 26, 2009 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

How great!!! My kids would love those! You're right..so many possibilities!

7. LiEr
    Posted July 27, 2009 at 2:13 am | Permalink

Your work continues to astound me! And you make it look so easy! Argh. I've been wanting to go out and buy meringue powder forever, but apart from specialty baking supply shops, where else could I find it? Would regular supermarkets have it in their baking aisles? Thanks for the help.

Posted July 27, 2009 at 4:39 am | Permalink

Thanks everyone! Thanks for the link Rachel! LiEr: meringue powder should be pretty easy to find if you have a major craft store near you. Doesn't have to be a specialty shop (Michaels, even JoAnns, AC Moore, places like that should have it). Sur la table is a chain store that carries it. Some supermarkets do carry it in the baking aisle, but not all. You can also get it online at cake/cookie decorating shops, like sugarcraft.com.

9. apparentlyjessy
    Posted July 27, 2009 at 9:37 am | Permalink

I adore Harry Potter, have ever since the first book came out! So naturally I love these cookies, thanks heaps for providing a tutorial, if only I could some how master cookie decorating skills like yours!

10. LiEr
    Posted July 27, 2009 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Excellent! Thank you! I never thought of JoAnn or Michaels. Whoo hoo, new excuse to go fabric shopping, er I mean, shopping for baking supplies. Thank you!

11. SimplePleasures
    Posted July 27, 2009 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

hahahaha!!! these are so cool! love it! can you tell I'm a Harry Potter nut too!

12. Kami
    Posted July 27, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

So cute!

13. Sathiya
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

hi .. just love ur ideas n designs . only 1 question .. how do u keep the cookie cruchy ?

14. Jessica
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

Those cookies are adorable! I'll definitely be giving them a try. Thanks for sharing!

15. Crescent Moon
    Posted July 29, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Those are fantastic! My son is a huge Harry Potter fan.

Posted July 29, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Thank you everyone again!! Sathiya: I don't keep it crunchy. I like my cookie on the softer side, but if you roll them more thinly and cook them longer, or use a more traditional sugar cookie recipe, they should be crunchier.

17. LiEr
    Posted August 20, 2009 at 5:23 am | Permalink

Meaghan, I tried your recipes today. Fabulous! Oh the kids had so much fun piping away. Am leaving the cookies out overnight to see how hard they get tomorrow. That meringue powder whips up really nicely. Thank you again for the inspiration!

18. Fahrenheit 350°
    Posted September 1, 2009 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Those are darling!!!!

19. Heba
    Posted February 23, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

I love these! they must have been so much fun to make, and they came out so good.

20. Posted March 1, 2013 at 6:30 am | Permalink

These are amazing! I wish I would have seen them before I made mine – I just couldnt get the detail I wanted with icing, so ended up painting mine instead… Next time I will be brave enough to try icing!

Here is a link to mine, if you are interested

Posted March 1, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Oh my gosh, Biscuit Bupkis, those are freeeeeaaaakin’ AMAZING! I think the reverse. I’ll try painting next time :).