DIY birthday gift tags

I know it sounds horribly cheap, especially when buying gifts for people I adore, but I have such an aversion to spending $4 on a card to accompany gifts. $4 on a card when that’s all I’m giving, sure, but just to let a person know who gave them such a carefully selected gift? I can’t do it. So I made my own. And I am sharing with you. I’ll be sure to add more goodies and free printables in the future, too, if these are liked by anyone. I did add a Spanish version below, as requested. (Good idea. I’ll have Spanish versions in the future, too.)

how to make your own birthday gift tags

you will need:
this pdf or for the Spanish version (as requested), use this pdf
a color printer letter-size photo paper or card stock
paper trimmer
hole punch and ribbon or tape

what to do:
Print out the document on letter size photo paper or card stock (each page makes 6 tags total, 3 party hat designs and 3 cupcake designs). Cut the paper along the lines using the paper trimmer. TIP: To hide the black lines, you can slice twice on either side of the line. Fold tag in half so the design is on the top. Write message on the inside and attach to gift by either punching a hole in the corner and tying with ribbon, or simply scotch tape the backside on the gift.

1. Marian
    Posted August 6, 2009 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Meaghan, you always have the best ideas! I'm going to tweet this – Love it!

2. Baking Momma
    Posted August 7, 2009 at 2:32 am | Permalink

I wouldn't call it cheap at all! People i know love when I make them something homemade. They actually would keep it over a store bought card. Knowing that I put my time and effort just for them. So great work. The ones who get those tags will know they came from the heart.

I might even put in the back made with love in small print. 8)

3. Cakebrain
    Posted August 7, 2009 at 7:55 am | Permalink

I confess, I have purchased more scrapbooking supplies to "save money by making cards" than I would have ever spent on purchasing cards at the local Hallmark store for 20 years. I love the images! way cool!

4. Melissa
    Posted August 7, 2009 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

too funny. we are planning my daugher Elle's birthday. How perfect!

Posted August 7, 2009 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Thank you Marian! That's great. Good idea about the "made with love", Baking Momma (especially if the gift is also homemade). Ah yes, Cakebrain, the DIY vs. store-bought money dilemma! Melissa, I love the name! My niece is Elle.

6. Jennifer
    Posted August 7, 2009 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

I must admit, I am cheap on this front as well. It is such a bummer knowing that most just throw the card in the garbage (I keep them and it is too much). I usually have the kids make a cards or write their names on their own sweet and messy handwriting…thanks for sharing

7. apparentlyjessy
    Posted August 7, 2009 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

I am the same, can't stand parting with $4+++ for a card, when I could make one just as good/or even better myself!
    I love the cupcake one you made!

8. Anonymous
    Posted August 8, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Hi, not only I wouldn´t call it cheap but I´ll be cheapest (blush…) is it possible that you make them in spanish too? with the phrase FELIZ CUMPLE! Forgive me if it´s asking for too much! I just love them!
    Pat

Posted August 8, 2009 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

No problem, Pat! I'm away from my own computer until Monday, but I'll add another pdf to this same post on Monday with the Spanish version. Thanks!

10. Amy Eileen
    Posted August 9, 2009 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

So cute! This past Christmas my boyfriend and I made our own tags for the gifts. I have trouble spending money on cards as well. Plus, people like it when they know it was made just for them, a little extra special touch.

11. Andrew's Mom
    Posted August 10, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

I'd rather give the person I'm giving a gift an extra 4 or 5 bucks than for a card that gets thrown away. It's so wasteful. Great idea.

12. Anonymous
    Posted August 10, 2009 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for the spanish version!!!
    You are very considerate, and your blog always a pleasure to visit!
    Pat

13. Anonymous
    Posted August 11, 2009 at 11:50 am | Permalink

These are fabulous. Many thanks!

14. Shauna
    Posted August 16, 2009 at 2:16 am | Permalink

Those are absolutely wonderful. I think it's nicer to receive something 'DIY'. A gift is that much more fun when it is something that I cannot get for myself from a store.

15. betty
    Posted August 26, 2009 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

Wonderful,yummy site-thanks for the pictures and info! Betty

16. Nicole Feliciano
    Posted October 15, 2009 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

This is such a great idea. I linked up to your post here: