a peek at my kitchen

I lived in a studio apartment here in DC for five years. Then I lived in a tiny rowhouse for almost six years. We had about a foot of counterspace in the kitchen (on which I baked hundreds of cookies for my book by rolling out tiny pieces of dough and cutting out two cookies at a time). Well, we sold that house last December (as in ’08) then lived from suitcases for eight months, the first four with way-too-kind friends (we do have a toddler after all) and the last four in temporary housing. Finally, we found a house last fall. A fixer-upper. That needed a kitchen right away. I had little time to plan the space, and the awkward set up won’t allow me to fulfill all my kitchen dreams (like that big farmhouse-style island I want)…but, it’s the nicest kitchen I’ve ever had. I have new appliances–like a dishwasher, my first in twenty years–and subway tile and a curvey faucet and open shelving and even actual square footage for rolling out cookie dough. And I don’t have to lug my heavy mixer from the basement anymore, it can sit right there on the counter.

Luckily, CafeMom asked to feature the decorated cookie’s kitchen for their “In the Kitchen With” series after said renovations. For anyone curious about the inside of my kitchen (not to make such an assumption, but I love seeing other people’s kitchens), I posted a couple pics below, but you can see the full feature HERE at CafeMom.

All the fabulous photos were taken by Jonathan L. Kang of Infinite Monkey Theorem.

my baking center

my chalkboard wall

all my supplies are in here
(this was a built-in from the o
riginal kitchen)

1. Pink Martini
    Posted March 11, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Charming to say the least. A baking center *sigh*. :)

2. Jeanette
    Posted March 11, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

I want a baking center, but then I would be expected to bake. I like to live my baking life through YOU!

3. Baking Momma
    Posted March 11, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Oh I am so in love with your kitchen. I used to have a huge kitchen and when we moved I had to settle for a small kitchen. I know what the frustration is to not be able to move around the way you want. I have baking stuff everywhere! In every spot there is a door and space. There is baking stuff. Once again beautiful kitchen!

P.S. I too love to see kitchens

4. cjaronsky
    Posted March 12, 2010 at 12:40 am | Permalink

that is so cute!! i love your chalkboard wall :)

5. Brisbane Baker
    Posted March 12, 2010 at 1:06 am | Permalink

Oh wow! Perfect.

I too had a lovely little cozy kitchen, until I moved to the hell hole where I am now..

3 boys (Mr. BB and 2 friends) means dirt, dirty dishes, my good baking trays being destoyed and oh did I mention dirt?

Mega jealousy :(

6. I run for cake!
    Posted March 12, 2010 at 4:01 am | Permalink

Love your new kitchen! I can't believe you produced such creative cookies in such as small space before! Congrats on being featured at CafeMom!

7. Jennifer Ramirez
    Posted March 12, 2010 at 5:40 am | Permalink

I swear, you have the CUTEST kitchen I've ever seen :)

8. Beth
    Posted March 12, 2010 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Your kitchen is beautiful! So bright and really reflects you. You deserve it!

9. Sue Sparks
    Posted March 12, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Your kitchen looks BEAUTIFUL! Congrats on more space! I have a chalkboard kitchen door:)

10. karenmfoust
    Posted March 12, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Your kitchen is just adorable, Meaghan! And I just made my first batch of cookies with your fail-safe recipe… they came out PERFECTLY. I'm a wee bit nervous about perfecting your frosting, but I have faith so I'm heading out now to get my Crisco and food coloring. Fingers crossed! LOVE your website; I'm ordering your book from Amazon. I also requested it for my Kindle… THAT would be awesome! Thanks so much for sharing. You're really talented!

11. Ann
    Posted March 13, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

I love it!!!!!

12. Andrew's Mom
    Posted March 13, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Love your kitchen!

Posted March 14, 2010 at 12:48 am | Permalink

thank you everyone for the kind words! too sweet… Baking Momma, I feel your pain! sacrifice one thing for another. In our old house, I had baking stuff in every room! I lived with 3 boys once, BB… I also feel your pain! Thanks karen! Me on kindle? How exciting! And yay for all those with chalkboard walls and doors and kitcheny things. I love mine.

14. Tori {Thoughtfully Simple}
    Posted March 14, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Swoon……. love the chalkboard wall and the baking station!

15. Lorraine
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 1:38 am | Permalink

I love your kitchen – and especially your baking center. I love your Anthropology curtains too. I too have stuff everywhere in my kitchen and hopefully one day when we move to a house I can have a proper kitchen with space for all of my baking things. I also love your cookie recipe and have been using it exclusively. I like the chocolate recipe too but have found it spreads more than the shortbread recipe. I love your cookies and am always being inspired by your site.

Posted March 15, 2010 at 2:00 am | Permalink

thanks everyone! Aww, thanks Lorraine!! I agree…that shortbready recipe never spreads. I've had mostly great luck with the chocolate, but if any are going to spread, that's the one that gets me, too!

17. J+S
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 3:11 am | Permalink

So charming and I LOVE the chalkboard wall!

~Jenifer

18. TracyLH
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Very cute! I love what you have done!

19. Jennifer(Savor)
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

LOVE!!!!!!!!! Also, you would expect that I recognized the Anthro gloves and cloth. Did you know that I was also featured on cafemom—love the article on you!!!!

20. sanjeet
    Posted March 16, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

I like to live my baking life through YOU!
    home based data entry