how to draw on food: firecrackers

These are quick and easy and simple and small: little square firecracker cookies. I drew these on square cookies topped with squares of fondant (bake cookies using a 2 1/4 inch square cutter, roll out store-bought fondant, cut out squares with the same cutter, adhere to cookie with light corn syrup or a thin layer of frosting, and let stiffen a few hours). You can also draw these on marshmallows or on royal icing that has been flooded and left to dry overnight. Find dough and frosting recipes HERE. Find a fondant recipe HERE. For tips on flooding cookies with icing click HERE and follow step 1. For tips on finding supplies, click HERE.

To draw, I used Americolor Gourmet Writers, black, yellow, red and blue.

how to draw firecrackers

1. draw an oval with black
2. draw 2 curved lines
3. draw a curved line to connect the 2 lines
4. draw a line for the wick
5. fill with red and blue stripes as desired (leave blank space for white stripes), being sure to color lines next to each other without layering (markers will show beneath other colors)
6. draw yellow and black lines coming from wick

1. staci @ lizard n ladybug
    Posted June 26, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

I love it!!

2. cookies and cups
    Posted June 27, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

These are great! My food color makers are on their last leg…have to get some new ones ASAP!

3. Paula
    Posted June 27, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

These are so cute! I had only used Wilton markers before (very thick writing nibs) and just this week rec'd my order for AmeriColour markers. Love the fine tips and can't wait to use them.

p.s. all your tutorials are great by the way.

4. Jenni @ Project Cookie 365
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 1:48 am | Permalink

These look fab!! I was thinking fireworks cookies for Canada day :) I think these would look equally as good in red and white ;)

I have food markers, but rarely use them… I'm more the "painter" type with vodka and gel colours. It's great. I always have a fool-proof excuse for an open or half empty bottle of vodka ;) hahaha.

Posted June 28, 2010 at 2:12 am | Permalink

Thanks all! Ah the wonderous ease of food color pens. Definitely on board for red and white. And oh my, Jenni, I couldn't even stand my cookies next to your painted masterpieces! I should try some vodka first for inspiration.

6. SUNFLOWERS8
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 7:06 am | Permalink

Lieta di fare la tua conoscenza ^_^ Complimenti per le meraviglie che riesci a creare, mi siedo comoda e cerco di imparare qualcosa! A presto
    Sonia

Posted June 28, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Grazie Sonia!

8. Kristan
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Has anyone ever told you that you should totally be a cartoonist? You draw so cute!! I'm so jealous.

9. Jenni @ Project Cookie 365
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Gah, thanks :) I get so frustrated with cookies, I definitely prefer doing cakes. I think I started this silly 365 to get over dreading cookies. Haha, it's not helping yet ;)

10. Amanda
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Great job!! These are awesome!! I had an idea for a firecracker something or others.. you totally just motivated me!!

Blessings-
    Amanda

You know I had to stumble this. :)

11. Jessica
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing the great tips! I will definitely give this a try whenever I get a chance. I can't wait!

jessyburke88@gmail.com