Marshmallow Dress Up. a stop motion video short.

I can’t believe that I made it to Round 7 of the Project Food Blog challenge. I mean really can’t believe. The competition at this point is ridiculously good, so I’ve a feeling my days are numbered. Which is why I took a big risk with Challenge 7: to “channel your favorite television food star,” “pick a recipe,” and “make it come to life on video.” I’ve been wanting to try and make a stop motion video for ages upon ages, so when I saw this challenge description weeks ago, I hoped I’d have the chance. But I’m afraid it’s completely wrong. Completely not what the judges are looking for. “Pick a recipe,” check, “make it come to life on video,” double check, but the television part? No check. Alas. Big risk.

(click either TV to watch at you tube)

I chose the easiest “recipe” (if it can be called that) I have on my blog: glittery, sparkly marshmallows. And I chose them because they are easy. While I have some challenging tutorials here, I also emphasize how simple, accessible and affordable edible art can be. For anyone and everyone. And this trick exemplifies that. All you need is a marshmallow, a lollipop stick, a bowl of water and some sprinkles.

MUSIC UPDATE: Originally, I had One Charming Man by the Smiths as the background music (“I would go out tonight, but I haven’t got a stitch to wear…”) and What is Love from Haddoway for the disco scene(as in, the SNL nightclub guys). Because of copyright fears, we were instructed to use royalty free music. So I searched and searched for something to use that was safe and not ridiculously expensive. I ended up with a couple Beethoven songs and a generic techno dance song.

Disclaimers: To explain the crudity of what you’ll see, I should note that I have zero, zippo, zilch experience with video, stop motion, anything that animates, and limited (ie almost nonexistent) computer knowledge generally. I started by googling “how to make a stop motion video.” I have no idea how to edit audio, so forgive the choppy music that stops suddenly. And by the way? This took forever and a day. Two days. What was I thinking? And I just realized it’s not due for another week. I didn’t know that. So you get this early.

1. Loren @ The Baking Sheet
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Adorable! Oscar worthy!!! :o)

Posted October 30, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Love it! It's PERFECT that you brought one of your marshmallows(your signature food item)to life! This is unique, and I agree with Loren:)

3. Vicky T
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Cute! Break a leg! (Or a marshmallow stick)

4. notyet100
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

too good,..

5. Jenny
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

SO FUNNY!

6. SprinkleBakes
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

So, so, SO adorable. I love that you used that Moz song. Wish I could vote more than once!

7. SUNFLOWERS8
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Questo video conferma che sei un genio ^_^ bellissimo!

8. I run for cake!
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

WOW! You are amazing! Great video, so clever, I know this will get you through to the next round! You are doing awesome in this competition!

9. Glory
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

My husband is a Computer Animator (by day) and an Actor (by night). He's HUGE Ray Harryhausen fan. So I have a bit of Second Hand knowledge about video and Stop Animation…

You did an AWESOME Job. Good luck!

10. Mommyof2girlz
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Absolutely loved it and the music was perfect. Awesome job, it rocked!

11. Beth
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Love it! And the Morissey isn't bad either. ha. I'm not surprised at all that you've made it this far, we love your blog!

12. Tara
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

really awesome! and great music too.

13. Natalie
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

i love this, it's genius! i'm sure you'll make it to round 8!

14. Extended Unpaid Vacation
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

I love it! It's super adorable and the music choice is perfect! This kind of thing is what your blog is about, and this video brings it to life perfectly (…just what was asked of you!) Don't worry, you'll do great this round!

15. Danny
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

So cute :) absolutely brilliant!

16. Cup-e-Cake Gang
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

i loved it! i thought it was so cute and the music fit perfectly! what is the name of the first song?

17. nicole
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Super cute video!

18. Frk. Overballe
    Posted October 30, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

I love this movie, I am so gonna vote for you (again :))

19. Gayle
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 12:33 am | Permalink

I love your video. I giggled at it quite a bit actually. :)

I like it how it is, but if you're really worried about how you haven't chanelled a tv cooking personality, then could you not video yourself pretending to be Nigella or someone introducing your marshmellow video? That way you can check all boxes. I'll be voting for you again though, I think you're incredibly talented. :)

20. jojoebi
    Posted October 31, 2010 at 4:29 am | Permalink

hahaaha so cute!
    you did a great job!

21. Lorinda
    Posted November 1, 2010 at 4:38 am | Permalink

That is absolutely adorable!! You've definitely got my vote!

22. CK
    Posted November 1, 2010 at 5:42 am | Permalink

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS! I ABSOLUTELY LOVVVVVVVVVVVVE IT!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm a HUGE fan of homemade stop motion ;)

23. Carolyn
    Posted November 1, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

What a great video! It's so cute when Fluffy is watching all of the colorful candy go by =P

24. Mickey
    Posted November 2, 2010 at 1:22 am | Permalink

Loved it! Super cute! Loved your music.
    mickey

25. Lorraine
    Posted November 2, 2010 at 2:54 am | Permalink

This is my favorite challenge of yours. The music is great and the whole entire video is so cute and funny. My sons will get a big kick out of this I am going to show them. Good luck with this challenge ; you aced it!

26. Lora
    Posted November 2, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Beyond brilliant. Love Fluffy O'Mallow's expressions. Too cute and clever.

27. Kristin
    Posted November 2, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

I thought that was adorable!!! Well done for your first for sure! My fav part was the agonizing look on his face when he got the stick in his butt. LOL. :)

28. sugarswings
    Posted November 4, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

awesome!!!!

29. BellaLovesPink
    Posted November 4, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

I thoroughly enjoyed your video! Fluffy is awesome!

30. Fairy Cakes
    Posted November 6, 2010 at 2:18 am | Permalink

OH MY GOSH!! SO CUTE!!

31. Magicka
    Posted November 7, 2010 at 11:32 am | Permalink

This is so funny, I loved it. You are so creative and talented. :))

32. Jelly Shot Test Kitchen
    Posted November 7, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

I love the little marshmallow!!! So happy she got to go clubbing! Genius video . . .

33. Mariko
    Posted November 14, 2010 at 3:12 am | Permalink

Bwah ha ha ha. So fun. I had no idea you could dress up marshmallows. My daughter will be thrilled.
    I cannot believe you didn't know how to do this before. You made it perfectly!

34. Winnie
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

I totally love how you interpreted this challenge! Great job letting your creativity shine :)

35. RhodeyGirl
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Hahaha! I couldn't stop smiling throughout this whole video! LOVE IT!

Please remind me what the name of the first song is. I think it is Beethoven? Maybe? But I can't remember which piece and it is driving me nuts!

Just voted for you- best of luck!

36. Anonymous
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

I loved it..marshmallows make you smile!!

37. Shannon
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

So Cute!!!!! I thought the video was great!!

38. Lisa Orgler
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

I love this…and know how long it takes to make a video like this. Great job!!

39. Amelia PS
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

It's adorable…i just want to hug that little marshmallow man :)
    It made me think of Shell Silverstein's "the missing piece".

40. Ali
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Cute, clever, talented! I voted for you!

41. eataduckimust
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

this was way too cute. the stop motion must have taken forever! but well worth it :)

42. ErinsFoodFiles
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Adorable! When I was a kid, I used to create stop motion videos with my Beanie Babies. I'm now a television editor. ;)

43. Diana
    Posted November 16, 2010 at 1:49 am | Permalink

This is too cute! I had to vote! :)

44. Tiny Urban Kitchen
    Posted November 16, 2010 at 2:25 am | Permalink

This is super cute! I love the little marshmallows various expressions. Too cute!!

45. Beth @ Kitchen Minions
    Posted November 16, 2010 at 4:11 am | Permalink

This is hilarious! I love the video! ALthough I felt a little bad for the marshmallow when he got poked with the stick :)

46. marla {family fresh cooking}
    Posted November 16, 2010 at 4:42 am | Permalink

This is truly one of the cutest things I have ever seen. For someone not pro at stop motion you sure seem it to me. Amazing job :)

47. marla {family fresh cooking}
    Posted November 16, 2010 at 4:43 am | Permalink

48. Joanne
    Posted November 16, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

That was adorable. I actually felt sorry for the poor little mallow before he got his new duds on.
    Very, very good.
    Voting NOW!

49. Daydreamer Desserts
    Posted November 16, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

What a personality! Not everyone can pull off that look for sure! Great job! :)

50. Spicie Foodie
    Posted November 16, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

So adorable and creative. You did a great job. Best of luck & continued success on the PFB

51. CrystalsCozyKitchen
    Posted November 17, 2010 at 12:23 am | Permalink

Congrats on making it this far! Sending a little red heart your way. Good luck. I love how cute everything on your site is!

52. Julie @ Willow Bird Baking
    Posted November 17, 2010 at 1:00 am | Permalink

SO FLIPPIN' CUTE!!! You did a great job!!

53. Kat
    Posted November 17, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

I think it's great, and it totally made me think of Paris Hilton for some reason (probably the pink), so I think you got all 3 boxes checked! Nice work!

54. themanhattanfoodproject
    Posted November 18, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

This is quite outstanding–I admire your honesty and I think you did the right thing in sticking to something simple while doing stop-motion.

I loved the dance faces!

55. Ben
    Posted November 18, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

The change in facial expression upon auto-impalement might be the best thing that has happened on PFB so far.

Posted November 18, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Shucks, thank you! Ben, best line so far.

57. Hungry Jenny
    Posted November 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

I don't know why you are being so apologetic in your post, this video is AWESOME! It made me happy that the marshmallow found an outfit to wear in the end, and that disco looked fun :-)

LOVED the bit where his face screwed up when pushing self onto stick, made me laugh out loud!

Hope you get to next round, it'd be madness if you didn't, good luck!

Hungry Jenny x

58. Dana
    Posted December 31, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Wow ..Its amazing how you get such lovely ideas…Hilarious…