how to draw on food: Thanksgiving. And, how to keep kids busy.

As seems my pattern, here are some last minute Thanksgiving treats: marshmallows! All you need is a set of edible writers and some marshmallows. You can even add a lollipop stick if you like. And if you need more Fall-themed ideas for drawing on marshmallows, click HERE and HERE.

supplies
edible writers. For all of the designs you’ll need: black, brown, red, orange, and yellow. I suggest a set of Americolor Gourmet Writers or the FooDoodler Fine Line set. Find lollipop sticks (if using) in the baking aisle of the craft store. And use the standard marshmallows from the supermarket. For tips on finding supplies, click HERE.

what to do
Draw on the marshmallows. Use the step-by-steps below if you like. That’s it. A few tips: It helps to let the marshmallows sit out for a couple hours to stiffen on the outside. You can’t top a color with another, so try and keep the colors separate. Unless you want the colors to blend (like for the feathers). Use black last for the outlines, eyes, details, etc., as black will layer on top of other colors. If you don’t want colors to blend or bleed, let them dry about ten minutes before switching markers.

activity idea
Last year for the two kids at my Thanksgiving, I had a cookie decorating activity (see it here). An idea for this year? Drawing on marshmallows. All of the drawings below are pretty easy and kid-friendly, especially the turkey. Only the pumpkin pie is a little tricky. Package some markers and some marshmallows in a jar or favor bag and tie with ribbon. A great way to keep kids entertained before… or maybe better…after dinner. Just for you, I made a printable instruction sheet of the how-tos below. Just print on a letter-size piece of white photo paper or cardstock with your color printer.Click HERE for the printable

the drawings

feather

1. draw a brown line
2. draw a bunch of red lines
3. draw a bunch of orange lines in between the red lines (the colors will blend a bit, that’s good)
4. add some yellow lines around the edges
5. add a black line along the brown line and outline a few spots around the edge

pumpkin pie

1. use black to draw the whipped cream
2. make three brown dots
3. make a lying-down “L” shape with brown
4. fill in the pie with orange
5. outline the pie with black

mayflower

1. draw the sail with black
2. draw a line with a triangle
3. with brown, draw the top of the boat (a line with a semicircle in the middle)
4. with brown, draw the bottom of the boat (three lines)
5. fill the boat with brown

1. draw and fill a brown circle for the head
2. draw and fill a brown oval for the body
3. draw a yellow triangle for the beak
4. draw a red dot next to the beak
5. draw red lines for feathers
6. draw orange lines in between the red lines
7. draw a dot for the eye and two legs (vertical lines with three lines at the feet)

linking to:

1. Suspiro
    Posted November 22, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

Super….. grandes ideas siempre. Gracias.

2. ♥peachkins♥
    Posted November 22, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

love your marshmallow drawings…

3. BellaLovesPink
    Posted November 22, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

Yep, I'm totally doing this on fondant-topped, sugar cookies with my daughter! You rock!

4. Kathy Martin
    Posted November 22, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

Cool and so fun! :)

Posted November 22, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Oh, you guys say the nicest things. And BellaLovesPink, yes! I forgot to mention in the post you can also draw on fondant and dried royal icing. Thanks!

6. Stephanie
    Posted November 22, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

Now why didn't I think of that … :) Thanks so much for sharing as I know my granddaughter would love to do this at Thanksgiving instead of her usual coloring books.

7. CraftCrave
    Posted November 23, 2010 at 1:31 am | Permalink

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cooking category today [23 Nov 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

8. notyet100
    Posted November 23, 2010 at 2:38 am | Permalink

advay gonna have one month vacation i gonna try this,..;-)

9. Krafty Kat
    Posted November 23, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

That is too cool! Hope you'll share this at my Holiday Hookup party!

10. Beth
    Posted November 23, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

I think that's the most adorable thing I've ever seen. So cute!

11. Pink Little Cake
    Posted November 23, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

This is very fun Meghan, I would love to do this project on Thanksgiving with my little Camilla, I know she would love it.

12. THE CRAFT
    Posted November 23, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

this is such a cute idea! Love it

The Craft

13. www.sweetcreationsbystephanie.com
    Posted November 24, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

congrats on your Amy Atlas feature for your cute marshmellows

14. Sharon
    Posted November 25, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

The marshmallow drawing idea is simply awesome..A treat to kids…

15. Jedda
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 3:52 am | Permalink

found you from crafty crow. Love it.

16. booturtle
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Love this idea. I used it and your printed instructions at our Thanksgiving event. All the kids loved it. I included credit to you in my Thanksgiving blog post. Thank you so much for sharing. Now I need the edible markers you mentioned, however. My edible marker colors just don't compare to what I now know is out there.

17. Kim @ The Celebration Shoppe