Cars cupcake toppers

OK, now that I made my decision, I’ll work on switching my blog over to the new domain tomorrow. So hopefully this won’t be the last post before I accidentally explode my blog. (Fingers crossed.)

Just wanted to share with you some Cars cupcake toppers I did for a friend. (Don’t worry, Disney, these were a gift, I promise no money was made here!) Rather than pull out the frosting and tips, I just rolled out some fondant, cut out the shapes and used my handy food coloring pens (I believe these were a mixture of Americolor Gourmet Writers and FooDoodler fine line pens). Now I’m not fond of the taste of fondant, but kids don’t seem to have an aversion to the super sweet all sugar thing.

Because I just made the toppers, not the cupcakes, here’s a visual to help complete the picture.

1. Amanda
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Fantastic job!! Those are not easy characters, and you totally nailed them!! Way to go!

2. notyet100
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

cupcake toppers look too cute,..;-)

3. naomi
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

These look fantastsic. Wow. Perfect scaling on the toppers!

4. Jovana
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Perfect !!!

5. Suspiro
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

They are not the fantastic car but they are fantastic. ;)

He seguido tu consejo y he traducido con freetranslation.com :DDD

Haré más comentarios en tu "nice blog". Muchas gracias. Beso

6. jasper
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

So I get all of it except the design…did you free hand them?? Wowsa…they are adorable!

Posted January 10, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Yes, Jasper, free hand! But, I found pics of the cars on Disney, copied to Publisher so I could get the right dimensions, printed, cut out the outline, used as a template on top of the rolled out fondant, then drew them free hand (having exactly the right size and shape helps with this).

8. CantStopBaking
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

So cool! You are really artistic!

9. Rowaida
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

this is sooo cute my son loved it!

Posted January 10, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

My 3 y.o. grandson would be in heaven, but I'm not sure I have your freehand talent:) We took him camping this weekend and near the end he started crying because he missed his Cars friends(I'll admit he was TIRED at the time)!

11. Jenn @ BentoForKidlet
    Posted January 10, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Those are so cute!!! Great job :D

12. Lorraine
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 1:34 am | Permalink

These are so great. Is it the cutter shapes you got from Disney? My son would love them too. He loves Cars the movie.

13. Stephanie @ The Brunette Foodie
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 2:02 am | Permalink

I really love these. I've been tucking away posts like this for when my son gets older. These would be excellent for a birthday party or just a kids get together.

Plus it looks like I may even be capable of doing this {ha!}.

Posted January 11, 2011 at 2:17 am | Permalink

I cut the shapes by hand, I'm afraid. I know Disney sells some character cutters, but I'm not sure if they sell Cars. If so, they would probably be huge, though, too big for toppers. But they'd make great cookies!

15. cookies and cups
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

very cute..they are perfect!

16. Fanny
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Very original, the children like!

17. Nicole
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Adorable! I've been considering making fondant cuppie toppers for my 3 yr old's party. How far ahead of time can you make them? And do you need to dry out the fondant before coloring on it, or after? Thanks!

Posted January 12, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Great questions Nicole! Fondant will stiffen if left overnight, but it won't get super hard like gum paste. I would make them at least the night before and up to about 3 days before you need them. I keep them at room temperature, covered in a tupperware container in a single layer, not stacked or the coloring will bleed, to keep them from getting too hard. Don't refrigerate them.

It does help drawing-wise to cut out the shapes and let the fondant dry for a couple hours. Your markers will work much more easily. I was impatient and didn't do this. The only difference is sometimes the marker tip digs into the fondant and gets stuck.