art gallery on a stick

A little reprieve from the craziness of my book stuff. (Aaack!! Due in a matter of weeks!! Aaack again!!!) Art gallery cookie pops.

let’s tour the gallery
Vase of Flowers
That Lady With the Smile
Still Life with Fruit and Pitcher
Um, Abstract
how to make an art gallery on a stick

you will need:*
dough
frosting

square cookie cutter (I used a 1 1/2 inch fondant cutter)
lollipop sticks
3 decorating bags
2 couplers
2 decorating tips (size “3”)
rubber bands
white and yellow food coloring
yellow sprinkles
edible writers

*Find the decorating bags, couplers, tips, sticks, cutter, and sprinkles at the craft store. I used Americolor soft gel pastes (Bright White and Egg Yellow), and the Americolor Gourmet Writers set and the FooDoodler fine-line set. For tips on finding supplies, click HERE.

step one: bake your cookies
Roll out chilled cookie dough 3/8 inch thick, cut out squares, insert sticks and bake according to the recipe.

step two: prepare your icing
Make icing and tint white and yellow (you’ll need much more white than yellow). Prepare two frosting bags with size “3” tips. Fill one with yellow and one with half of your white icing. Close bags tightly with rubber bands. Cover and reserve remaining white icing.

step three: flood the cookies
Pipe an outline on the cookies with white, and let set about 15 minutes. Thin reserved white icing by stirring in drops of water until the consistency of thick glue. Fill an empty decorating bag with the thinned icing, snip 1/4 inch from the corner, and loosely pipe to fill the cookies, using a toothpick as needed to encourage the icing. Let set overnight. Yes, let it set overnight.

step four: make art
Use the edible writers to draw your art. Don’t draw to the edges to allow for the frame.

step five: frame it
Pipe a square at the edge with yellow and immediately sprinkles with sprinkles. Turn over to remove excess sprinkles.

Comments

1. SweetSugarBelle says

Great idea! One of my fave cookies u make is the cookie thats starry night….love that you did this. Cut cute cute!

2. fargopatt says

i´m sorry i ´don´t leave comments more often.. but with two little kids i find it almost imposible!!!
    anyway, i stop now to tell u how much i love your work,, you have a lovely, cute and easy-simple drawn…. thank u very much fot teaching us so many nice things!!!

xooxoxxo
    patt

3. Lauren @ Crave. Indulge. Satisfy. says

Love these! Your artistic talent is just amazing! Can't wait to see your new book!

4. Chic Cookies says

You are all too nice to me! Patt, I only have ONE little kid and I have no time, let alone TWO! So thank you for stopping by!

5. Sue says

You've always got something CUTE up your sleeve! I knew that was Mona Lisa as soon as your page popped up;) Good luck with the book progress!

6. Sprinzette @ Ginger and Almonds says

I love your illustrations – truly. I am so used to commenting on photographs in blogs, that it's so refreshing to see another approach. Really enjoyed reading your post.

7. Nicole says

These are so adorable! Can I ask what brand of food marker you use? I use a icing recipe that's similar to yours and I find that, even after drying, the markers leave little dents in the icing. Any advice? It's not like you're busy or anything…

8. Chic Cookies says

You are all such amazing commenters! Always makes my day. Nicole, I used the FooDoodler Fine Line set of 10 (must be fine line!!) and the Americolor Gourmet Writers, my two favorite pens. But if you left dents in the icing, it's not the markers. The icing wasn't dry enough. Let the cookies sit overnight for at least one day, two days if they leave dents, and use let water to flood if you still have a problem. Same thing has happened to me, definitely, because I rushed the icing.

9. J+S says

ooooh, I LOVE these! And I will probably want to feature them on my blog. And I can't wait to buy your new bopk.

~Jenifer

10. Chic Cookies says

Thanks everyone! Except for the art critique. The "art gallery" was meant to be a facetious term, silly, in jest. I wasn't actually trying to create an "art gallery." These are 1 inch square cookies. With icing. And edible markers. I was going for "crappy painting on a stick."