sunflower cookies and my kid’s awesome photography

sunflower cookies

These cookies are pretty much the same concept as these dot daisy flower cookies. In the comments, Sue of Munchkin Munchies mentioned she had made little sunflower cookies, and that stuck with me. I often turn to sunflower cookies for solemn occasions, as they are synonymous with cheer. When someone in my family lost someone very close and important to them, I sent these sunflowers. Usually I use my sunflower cutter, but minis are better to share with others, and I thought of Sue’s comment.

I used a 2-inch circle this time, but I also made some smaller, bite-size cookies with a 1 1/2 inch circle cutter.

sunflower cookies

to make mini sunflower cookies…

Make sugar cookie dough and cut out circles with a 2-inch circle cookie cutter. Prepare royal icing, divide and tint two shades of yellow and dark brown with Americolor soft gel pastes (Egg Yellow and Chocolate Brown). Prepare three disposable decorating bags with couplers and tips, fill bags (use size “3” for light yellow and size “4” for the darker yellow and brown), and close tightly with rubber bands. Decorate cookies and let dry overnight. For tips on finding supplies click HERE.

sunflower cookies

to decorate…
Pipe a spiral in the center with brown. Pipe dots around with the darker yellow (I piped a dot and pulled away outward to make the petal shape). When the brown sets, pipe a spiral with light yellow. If using a smaller, 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter, omit the spiral.

my three-year old’s photos:

and now for a different perspective…
Since my 3-year old decided to give up her naps, she and I spend pretty much every. single. second together. She’s not a loner. At all. Every post I write, both here and here, I write with a kid hanging on my arm, pulling at me, talking to me or singing to me. She never. stops. ever. Which means often she “helps” me. As I was setting up my sunflower cookies in my little lightbox (with the hand-me-down 1970s lamp I use), she grabbed her camera, inspired. She went nuts setting up sweets in the lightbox and snapping pics with her Vtech kid’s camera. The above photos Maeve took under my arm while I took mine. Indulge me for just a moment while I let her take it away…

Maeve’s food styling, all Maeve (but my photos):
Maeve setting up:
Maeve’s photos:
Maeve styling and photographing her Easter candy:
The resulting photo:
“Bunny Close-Up”

“Cupcakes”

1. Mandy Crandell
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Love these! And I like your daughter's photos! :)

2. Julie Gallagher
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Oh these are too cute! My daughter loves to also take photos of my tables etc.! In fact just about anything really – yesterday I uploaded over a 1000 random iphone photos she had taken!

3. THE Tough Cookie
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Please send Maeve over to me. I could use her food styling. Seriously. The kid's got it!

4. Ali
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 11:14 am | Permalink

beautiful cookies — your daughter is so sweet. Love that she felt so inspired and set up her stuff in the light box to photograph. hehe, so cute.

5. rosilet
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 11:26 am | Permalink

The cookies are lovely and Maeve's pictures even more!

6. Lorraine
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Meaghan I can totally relate to you with the non-nap issue. It has been almost a year since my son has given up naps so he is always employed with me in the kitchen when I have to make cookies. Your daughter definitely has a great knack for food styling! Her set-up is quite sophisticated! I had a question about your lightbox since my husband just made one for me and it looks just like yours. Do you put paper in there to cover the seams and if so, what kind do yu use? Do you use clip on lamps or something different? Thanks so much. I love the sunflowers and the flower cookies you posted the other day. Cannot wait to try them!

Posted May 11, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

She used to sleep 3 hours every afternoon. And in the morning til 9. Now no nap and she's up at 6. I don't get it! But I so lost my work hours. And my sleep. Crazy.

Anyway, the lamps that came with the lightbox broke, so I use totally inferior lamps I had around the house. For the paper, I should use special paper for photography, but I know so little about it, I just get paper from the craft store. Either I use 2 pieces and see the seam, or I find a long piece and just bend it. Totally clueless about photography. A class is in my future!

8. cookies and cups
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

How cute is that!! I caught my kiddo the other day taking a pic of his Oreos on his itouch..literally styling them like a pro! What are we creating here?!

9. bridget {bake at 350}
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Um, I love Maeve. Can I borrow her (AND your cookies)? ;)

10. Jenny
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

I love the cookies (as usual), but really I'm commenting to tell you to please take your afternoon back. You are in charge here!

When my older son stopped taking a nap too early, I bought a tight-fitting blackout shade and cleaned out his room! It took a few months of him roaming around in there, pulling out clothes from the drawers, but when he got bored with that, he started sleeping again.

When he finally got old enough to stop napping, he went to Quiet Time every afternoon for 2 hours. (He is in kindergarten but still has QT on weekends! He doesn't have to, but shhhhh. Nobody tell him.)

You really need the mental break, especially if she's 3. Good luck! It isn't too late to turn back!

11. SweetSugarBelle
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

AWE, Maeve! Understanding the never. ever. alone. BUt it's so much more adrable when it isnt your kiddo, LOL! She is precious. and you know I love itty bitty cookies. PS. I selfinshly want Maeve too. When we have company my kids are WAYYYYYYY better. They dont bother me at all!

12. Meg@MegaCrafty
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Definitely a food stylist/photog in the making! : )

13. Sarah-Lyn
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Just lovely, I LOVE your cookies!!

I don't eat cookies that often (almost never) especially because vegan ones are hard to find but I can just look at your creations all day :)

SL

14. elcuadernodeideas
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Bravo por tu trabajo y por el de Maeve.

Posted May 11, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

This is just so cute~your apprentice photographer/food stylist! I think the name Maeve may be well known someday!
    Love your adorable little sunflower cookies:) Mine are in the freezer, but now that I have replaced my faulty lens, I need to thaw them out. Thanks for the mention, Meaghan:)

16. Butter Hearts Sugar
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Oh my Gosh such a cute post. The cookies look beautiful. I love Maeves work, she definitely got the foodie gene.

17. Jenni Price Pancake Art
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 3:15 am | Permalink

Thank you for posting about my owl pancakes today on edible craft gossip! It definitely feels like I won an award just being on there and my husband has had to hear me talk about it today because I was very excited about it…so a BIG thank you!!

I've been enjoying your blog for quite a while and I'm always so impressed by what you can do! I loved your post about your daughter today. It was priceless!

Blessings,
    Jenni

18. Paula
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 3:33 am | Permalink

Your daughter is a cute as your cookies and really take a pretty darn good picture!

Sorry that you never seem to get a breather and I can't imagine how you manage to juggle it all.

Hang in there and try to get to bed for the night early :)

19. Trish - Sweetology101
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 3:48 am | Permalink

Geepers, it sucks when THREE year old gets better shots than I do for my blog!! Anyway, great cookies as usual they look super. BTW her hair is so CUTE!

20. LilaLoa
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 6:14 am | Permalink

I can't tell you how happy these pictures make me! I adore your cookies and your sweet little child!

And I'm so glad to know that I am not the only mother blogging with a constant sidekick (or two.)

Posted May 12, 2011 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Too funny, Trish. And her hair, I know, I KNOW! I'm jealous of my own kid. She has luxurious curls. Definitely LilaLoa, definitely.

Posted May 12, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Jenni, wow, way too high praise! Your pancakes are beyond incredible (everyone else reading this, please visit Jenni Price's site immediately. And Paula, thanks to the other Jenny's advice, I forced my kid to take a nap yesterday, so break for moi! Now to get her to sleep past 6:30 am.

23. sugarswings
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

cute cookies, and awesome that you have your kiddos pics too! you are such a cool mom! :)

24. Mae
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Aww This is nice. It makes me fuzzy and hungry at the same time :D Your kid is great

25. Anastasia