unmacaron macaron cookie pops

Anybody out there remember my macaron disaster? I’ve not yet revisited trying to make these artful mysteries. So instead of facing the challenge, I stuck with the familiar and made little, colorful sandwich cookies in the style of a macaron. And I made some into pops, too, because I’ll put anything I can on a stick.

Whilst the crisp but chewy, light as air quality of macarons is lost, unlike real macarons, these are very easy to make.

how to make unmacaron macaron cookies

you will need:*
dough
icing

small circle cookie cutter (about 1 1/2 inch)
food coloring
disposable decorating bags
couplers
size “5” tips
rubber bands
lollipop sticks (optional)
rubber gloves (optional)

*For food coloring, I use Americolor soft gel pastes (Electric Pink, Electric Green, Turquoise and Orange). Find the cutter, decorating bags, couplers, tips, sprinkles and lollipop sticks at the craft store. For tips on finding supplies, click HERE.

step one: bake your cookies
Prepare sugar cookie dough, chill, divide, and tint desired colors by kneading drops of food coloring into the dough. If the dough gets mushy from kneading, chill again about an hour before rolling out. Roll out the dough on a floured surface, cut out small circles (two per cookie) and bake according to the recipe. Let cool completely. TIPS: I worked with small amounts of dough at a time, a piece about the size of a large egg. Kneading the color into the dough will stain your hands in a terribly unattractive way, so you may wear gloves. I didn’t. I now have terribly unattractive stained hands.

step two: prepare your icing
Prepare icing according to the recipe. Divide and tint the same colors as the cookies. Prepare a decorating bag with coupler and size 5 tip. Fill with the colors and close tightly with rubber bands.

step three: assemble the cookies
Pipe and fill a circle of icing on the back of a cookie and top with another cookie. To make pops, place a lollipop stick on the icing before topping with the other cookie. Let cookies sit on a piece of parchment or wax paper overnight to dry.

Comments

1. Mia and Deniece, Boulder Creek Cupcakes says

Being a bit of a cake pop junkie, I really feel like I need to dip those in chocolate =)

2. James says

Cool beans…..any way I can fake a macaron on a stick is worth gold to this kid. Yes, gold. You are wonderful!! Have a super week.

3. Victoria (The District Chocoholic) says

Aw, you should give macarons another try. I actually put some red macarons on sticks and mixed them with mint white chocolate ganache balls on sticks to make a Valentine's day bouquet that was much better than silly flowers.

4. The Vanilla Bean Baker says

I've never even eaten a macaron let along try to bake one. I hear there is an art to it so I'm not ready to attempt them quite yet, but my curiosity is certainly aroused.
    This un-macaron idea is very cute and delicious looking!

5. Sue says

I love these! Perhaps making them would make me feel better about my multiple macaron making failures! I'm SURE they would:)

6. Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) says

So pretty! I haven't dared try macarons yet, but they are on my baking bucket list!

7. Gina says

I have a question about these cookies. we are having a Wizard of Oz party for my son in law in a few months and these would be perfect. But I need to know if the icing is merangue or buttercream. Guess it makes a difference if you want it to stay on the stick, lol. Thanks for the help. Figure the lollipop kids theme would work with these.

8. Claudia K says

Pretty easy to make and very cute, but if they stay on the stick standing up for more than an hour, the frosting softens and they fall down. Any idea how to make this work?

• meaghanmountford says

Hi Claudia! Your frosting is way too thin then. You must have thicker icing. Add confectioner’s sugar (a significant amount) to the icing to thicken. That will solve the problem!