iPad cookie for Father’s Day

UPDATE: Thank you all so much for all your well wishes and cheer!! It’s a warming thing to come home to after an absolutely horrible, no good, terrible, miserable week at the hospital (well, that and our A/C was broken). I’m hanging in there and hope to be all better soon, and I so appreciate all your kindness. I actually wrote up this post before I got sick and planned on posting before Father’s Day, but alas. The good news is, I mailed these off to my Dad the morning before I got sick, so phew. Of course my poor husband got shafted on the big day, but we’ll celebrate this weekend instead.

Father’s Day and my dad’s birthday are days apart every year. This is a very good thing, as I can knock out both in one gift (I’m callous with the term “knock out” purely because my father has all he needs and is impossible to shop for, so every gift-giving occasion poses a challenge). He recently got an iPad and, like most things, he has poured himself into learning everything about this toy. So for his Father’s Day/birthday this year, I made him an iPad cookie with some accompanying “App” squares. I also tucked in a gift card to the iTunes store.

I didn’t overthink the decorating of the iPad. I could’ve gotten detailed with the screen, but alas, I settled for simple. These will most assuredly be consumed immediately upon receiving, so I didn’t spend the extra hours with that endeavor. For the iPad, I cut out a rectangle cookie and piped with black and gray icing, flooding the center with blue. When the blue set, I added little fondant squares. For the “Apps” cookies, I just cut out 1 1/2-inch squares, piped with frosting and coated in sprinkles.

1. Lorraine
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 1:11 am | Permalink

Meaghan so glad you are back and hope everything is okay! I was so thrilled to see that you were back!I hope you are taking it easy! I understand about hospitals. I developed preeclampsia and HELP syndrome with my 2nd son and was hospitalized for a week as well. I had everything done to me under the sun. Please be good to yourself as your health is the most important!!!!!!!!!!!

2. egbkid
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 1:22 am | Permalink

The cookies look great! Glad to see you back, and hope that everything is well from here on out.

Take care!

Natasha.

3. Susan Crabtree
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 1:56 am | Permalink

my 13 year old would go crazy for these! I am so glad to hear that you are home recovering! :)

4. Monica
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 2:08 am | Permalink

I am so happy to hear you are back home and healthy! We were praying for you. I feel for you, two weeks ago i had to taken to the hospital for a week too, wasnt the best time of my life either!
    Wishing you well!
    Monica ~ monirr04@yahoo.com

5. Haniela
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 2:19 am | Permalink

I'm so glad you are back from the hospital, hope everything goes well for you.
    Beautiful cookies!

Wishing you well!

6. Meg@MegaCrafty
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 2:20 am | Permalink

I'm so sorry you were in the hospital- I don't know how I missed your original post about it.. but I'm glad you are starting to feel better now! This ipad cookie is really adorable- GREAT idea!

7. Sweet Tooth Desserts
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 2:38 am | Permalink

I am so glad you are feeling well enough to be able to go home!! Just take it easy and continue to get better!!

The cookie design is such a great idea!! Too bad my dad isn't a cookie lover he is more basic cakes and pies!!

8. SweetSugarBelle
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 3:19 am | Permalink

ADORABLE! And glad glad glad youre home. Feel better. Here if ya need me!

9. Trish - Sweetology101
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 3:37 am | Permalink

I am SO glad to see this post! The cookies are FABULOUS but you are the real treasure! Keep on your road to recovery buddy! Fast and Fancy minions everywhere are thinking of ya!

10. Lauren @ Crave. Indulge. Satisfy.
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 3:43 am | Permalink

So glad to hear you are doing much better, I have been thinking about you! What an adorable cookie idea, you really do think of everything! I'm sure your dad loved this!

11. The Vanilla Bean Baker
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 4:09 am | Permalink

Love your iPad and I'm sure your Dad did too. Glad to hear that you are home and hopefully, no more complications to have to contend with. Best wishes for continued healing and hope you and your husband enjoy your little Father's Day celebration later this week.

12. elcuadernodeideas
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 7:20 am | Permalink

Me alegra ver una entrada tuya, ya la estaba esperando, eso era señal de tu vuelta. Divertidos y deliciosas las galletas.Sigue cuidándote.

13. Beth
    Posted June 22, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

So happy to hear that you are home! I hope you continue to feel better! Love the ipad cookies.

Posted June 22, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Welcome back, Meaghan! So happy that you are doing better! Love your iPad cookie! Yep, it's hard to buy for dads that have everything:) I just got an iPad and I love it!
    Try to take it easy and and take care! I bet it's sooo nice to be HOME:)

15. bridget {bake at 350}
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Meaghan…these are genius! And I love that you kept the design simple…it's perfect!

I hope you are feeling better! All of us ladies at University of Cookie have been thinking about you! :)

16. megan @ whatmegansmaking
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

so cute! what a good idea :)

17. Cooking with Denay - Class Information
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

I love this…I would order these cookies for my daughter and her co-workers…all geeks in technology! I can just see them munching away with crumbs all over their mouths! Too cute!

18. Kudos Kitchen
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

This is an adorable cookie Meaghan and the app squares are so fun! I'm sure your dad loved them.
    I'm glad you're home from the hospital and hope you're feeling all better!a

19. Sarah K.
    Posted June 24, 2011 at 3:14 am | Permalink

Yay! keeping with the true Meaghan spirit, you barely skipped a beat! So glad you are back and so impressed that you are posting from bed! Thinking of you and sending healing wishes your way. Hugs!

20. Linda V @ Bubble and Sweet