easy lollies, revisited

My kid was driving me nuts today. We are together all day, everyday, day in, day out, from morning to night, without break (ie. she’s now above napping). And she’s not a loner. And she talks incessantly. So this is what we did today to help keep her quiet so I could hear my thoughts for a few moments. Thoughts about the joy of Fall and school. These DIY candy lollipops aren’t entirely new. I made them once before. Anyone with a memory that is long and loyalty to yours truly may remember these that I made way back when. They are super-easy to make. I originally got the idea and how-tos from HERE at Better Homes and Gardens.

Find the how-tos HERE. But since I don’t crush the candy, the oven time took closer to 9 or 10 minutes. Just be sure to watch them like a hawk. The millisecond before they are melted exactly right, take them out of the oven. They will continue to melt just a bit more on the hot tray. Also, I didn’t roll the sticks in the candy this time, I just impressed them immediately into the melted candy and considered the flip side the front.

Once again, I used Jolly Ranchers hard candies and arranged them whole, not crushed, and close together. For the flower lollipop, I put six jolly ranchers around one in the center. Because of the shape of the candy, they were spaced a bit, but when they melted, they merged.

And naturally, I had some help with these. She unwrapped aaaallllll the candy, helped me arrange them on the tray, and sat in front of the oven painfully watching them melt into lollipops.

1. Emily
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 1:59 am | Permalink

These are so cute! Love the happy colors!

2. Jenny
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 2:40 am | Permalink

And while she has one in her mouth, she can't talk. Bonus!

3. Carley
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 2:59 am | Permalink

Man it must have been in the air today because my 2 were driving me mad as well! She is an absolute doll I love her curls! I am guessing she is about 4 since she will be in school in the fall well I have a 4 year old boy and a 16 month old boy. We are in the house day in as well so I feel your pain sister! Those are super cute though I will def have to try!
    Hugs
    Carley

4. Linda V @ Bubble and Sweet
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 3:22 am | Permalink

What a super cool idea!

5. Kimberly Chapman
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 6:32 am | Permalink

You can also microwave them. Put them in a silicon baking cup and microwave them incrementally on a medium heat until you know how long it takes your microwave to go.

Then you can roll them up into a ball and stick a fondant figure on top and pretend it's a ray gun. See, I did: http://kimberlychapman.com/crafts/cakes/2010-feb-alienfilmfestival.html

Also, you can melt Lifesavers the same way and make a Tom Servo head.

Melting things is fun, muahahahahaha. >:D

6. LilaLoa
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Ha ha ha. So cute! (The suckers and that little doll of yours!!)

7. franca
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

but good and have nice views, very good, your baby is happy
    hello

8. Sweet Tooth Desserts
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

This is such a cook idea, I have to try these!!

9. Trish - Sweetology101
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

oh geepers both of the little lollipops (human and sugar) are SO CUTE! Sophia and I will be adding these to our to do list.

Posted July 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Thank you everyone! Oh my goodness, can everyone please click the link in Kimberly's comment? This cake is amazing. I posted a link to it on my other blog (ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com)

11. Kristen P - "Praz"
    Posted July 14, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Awesome. I missed this post the first time, so thanks for revisiting. I will most certainly be making these and will blog my experience as well!

12. CraftCrave
    Posted July 15, 2011 at 1:42 am | Permalink

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cooking category today [15 Jul 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Posted July 15, 2011 at 5:36 am | Permalink

Good thing she's cute:) Love the lollies!

14. Plumbing Supplies
    Posted July 17, 2011 at 12:02 am | Permalink

The little girl really enjoys the lollipops so i think it must taste good. Thanks for sharing this post to us.

15. Cheryl @ Sew Can Do
    Posted July 17, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

And now I have the answer to what to do when any (or all of my 3) are driving me crazy. Genius! My 5yr old is exactly like that – I am amazed he's not already awake and glued to my side as I type this!