painted sunflower cookie pops

1997 was a bizarre year for me. I needed a series of major surgeries, so I took the whole year off, moved in with my mom, and spent much of the year in and out of hospitals. But it wasn’t all bad. I had this sanctioned year off with no responsibilities, no kids, no job, just TV watching and crafting. When else in life can one do this? I took classes on decorative painting, found old glass jars, and went nuts with my acrylic enamels. Every single time I spot Renee’s work, I think of this year of leisure (minus her talent).

These sunflowers are a throwback to 1997. I pulled out my little round brushes, my “palette” (ie egg carton), my “paints” (ie food coloring) and painted the same sunflowers I painted 14 years ago (minus the post-surgery pain killers).

UPDATE: My sister was terribly offended I also failed to mention the other bonus of this year: Traveling with my wonderful and beautiful sister to London and Paris. Yes. Between major surgeries. (She carried my bags.)

To make these, I just used my cookie recipe, chilled, rolled out, cut out squares, inserted sticks, and baked. I mixed up my royal icing, tinted light blue with Americolor soft gel paste, Sky Blue, and flooded the squares with the icing. I let the cookies dry overnight. Then, I poured a few drops of food coloring on a palette (Egg Yellow, Electric Green, Leaf Green and Chocolate Brown), mixed each with a couple drops of white food coloring, and painted away. By the way, Renee happens to have a great cookie painting tutorial HERE at University of Cookie.

My kid also pulled out her camera and took some pictures. I think the first one of the off-center Easter Bunny Pez dispenser is a reflection of existential angst and the feeling of meaningless in the over commercialization of culture.

1. manda
    Posted July 18, 2011 at 2:12 am | Permalink

These are so cute.

2. Linda V @ Bubble and Sweet
    Posted July 18, 2011 at 2:12 am | Permalink

Well if that isn't a case of when life gives you lemons you make lemonade. What a great achievement from a year that obviously would have had some trying times. Cute photo's the kids took, my kids setup the funniest shots as well. I guess it's their interpretation of what I do, kinda flattering.

3. SweetSugarBelle
    Posted July 18, 2011 at 2:24 am | Permalink

These are truly beautiful…im so amazed with Renee myself…I just got a tile myself :-)

4. Trish - Sweetology101
    Posted July 18, 2011 at 2:28 am | Permalink

I am CONFIDENT, that strong people are given tough challenges because we CAN prevail as those meeker and weak would succumb, I hold on to that during the tough days…….you have had some medical challenges obviously but you have planted more flowers than just those on your cookies…you have planted a lot of joy in many peoples likes (Like mine!) with your cookies, tutorials and easy going and easy to follow posts. It is hard to put into words but I hope you get my point. Also GLAD I can get the email updates! YIPEE!!

5. Lorraine
    Posted July 18, 2011 at 2:49 am | Permalink

Wow! I love these. Cannot wait to try them. I think your daughter is very talented. These cookies seem like a positive outlet during a difficult time.

6. Kudos Kitchen
    Posted July 18, 2011 at 4:52 am | Permalink

I'm honored and thrilled that you made such a major shout out to me Meaghan. Thank you so very much. These painted sunflower cookies are just adorable! I am always in awe of your talents and creativity too. It's funny how life's challenges can sometimes bring the best rewards :) Thanks again and wishing you continued good health!

7. Misbah
    Posted July 18, 2011 at 6:23 am | Permalink

Thx for shareing your storie with us. beutiful cookies.

8. Pink Little Cake
    Posted July 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

These cookies are beautiful. Wow it seems that you have been through a lot with you health, but I am so glad you are over that episode and feeling better.The pictures of your little one are super cute. Do you mind recomending me a camera for my little one? her birthday is in a few weeks and she would love a gift like that since she always wants to play with mine.

Posted July 18, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

We just got her the vtech camera. As you can see, not high end photography at all, but does the job and acts like a real camera. And the price was right: http://amzn.to/oPY9T2

Posted July 18, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

As a fellow sunflower-lover, I LOVE these cookies! Meaghan, you are one tough (talented) cookie! Love the budding photographer photos:)