September 11

As one who spends so much time online, I’ve been both inundated and obsessed with memories of September 11 this week. Videos, stories, photographs… I click on almost everything. Above is a video timeline of the day from ABC that brought me back to every hour as though it was yesterday.

I tried to think of some sort of cookie tribute to 9-11 but I couldn’t even bring myself to translate something so big into sugar and butter. Ten years later, I still well up and start to cry at even the thought of September 11. While close to both the tragedies in New York City and the Pentagon, I lost no one dear to me. Considering what just the thought of the day stirs in me, the pain it brings to those who lost loved ones must be immeasurable, and any tear I shed over September 11 belongs directly to those who perished and those that knew them.

On that Tuesday morning, I went to work as a cookie decorator in a shop right outside of Washington DC, as usual. Looking back, I’m so grateful to have been with that community, my cookie family, on that day. We heard on the radio about a plane hitting the World Trade Center, thinking it odd and scary, but surely an accident. As the second plane hit, it became clear it was not an accident, and we gathered at the radio for hours, barely caring about the cookies sitting on trays unfrosted, running out to the other shops for any news they might’ve heard. We spent much of the day just talking, for talking is supposed to help you understand the unfathomable. I tried calling my friends and family, but could not get through. Though it was a year before I met my army husband, who now sometimes works in the Pentagon, back in 2001, I had close friends in the army who frequented the Pentagon. And I had, and still have, immediate family members who work in the financial district of New York City.

A member of my immediate family had been in the World Trade Center earlier that morning and was trapped in her own office building nearby during the attacks. She was finally evacuated and raced down the street with the hundreds of others, engulfed in the dust of the falling towers before jumping on a ferry, any ferry, to get away.

For weeks after the attacks, I craned my neck every time I drove on 395 in Virginia around the Pentagon, just to see the burned-out, destroyed side. I was guilty of gawking, with horrified amazement, knowing I was witness to something so rare and so historic and grandiose in its destruction. The scars prove that in one moment everything could monumentally change. Everything: How we live, how we travel, our sense of security, how we view the world, how we view America, how we view each other. I find the video above captures this shift, from Diane Sawyer’s cheery good morning before the first plane hits, to the solemn farewell at the end.

I promise more treats coming soon, very soon. This upcoming week will be a weird one for me, working hard on my book while going back and forth to the hospital and doctors’ offices dealing with what I hope isn’t a downward turn for my health. But I’ve been working on some things for Celebrations, and will share them shortly! As well as some sneak peeks of the new book.

Feel free to share your own memories or important links of September 11 below. Like that day in the cookie store talking and talking with my co-workers as a way to connect and cope…

1. Nanna
    Posted September 10, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Let's also remember those that lost their lives in the field in PA. A local family lost their daughter.

2. Meghan @ Domestic Sugar
    Posted September 10, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I remember being in my senior year of high school, and openly crying when I saw the first tower fall. I cry even ten years later seeing it, and I'm Canadian. My prayers are still with all those affected.

3. sugarswings
    Posted September 10, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

there is no way to commemorate 9/11 in sweet form (so i did cantaloupe cupcakes!)…you just can't….i just posted my brief story as well, living in NJ and as my hubby was across the street from WTC 1. Everything about it is too close to home. We also had one of our best friends in WTC2 who got out ok, thankfully….

4. the decorated cookie
    Posted September 10, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

And, not only remember those that lost their lives in Pennsylvania, but the heroes on board who made the ultimate sacrifice that SAVED countless more lives in Washington DC.

5. The Vanilla Bean Baker
    Posted September 10, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

It's hard to believe that it is the 10th Anniversary for the memories of where I was and the horrific images watched over and over in disbelief that day are as raw as if it were yesterday. My thoughts and prayers, as everyone's do, go out to the families who lost loved ones and to those who survived and are dealing with the psychological effects and medical illnesses incurred from having come through the horror.
    I'm glad for your family that your loved one made it out of the WTC that morning.
    Thinking of you this coming week and hoping for the best regarding your Dr/Hospital visits.

6. Trish - Sweetology101
    Posted September 10, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

M – I bopped over to Celebrations to read the name of your new book, Sugarlicious…love it so much. I hope to get a AUTOGRAPHED copy! hint hint…First, hope things go well this week. I know all too well about health BS and the crap associated w/ waiting on tests and more tests….we all pause to recall our own emotions that fateful day on 9/11/01. That day is smack dab right in between 2 special days..9/9 which was my special Nana's birthday and my birthday which is 9/12. This always makes me reflect on LIFE in general. I get emotional every year around my birthday b/c I am so grateful to be alive to see one more year. The 9/11 tragedy further presses the point about the precious often precarious nature of life…..one can not be grateful. I pray for those who lost their lives, but know they are comforted now eternally…my deeper thoughts and prayers go to those left behind and are dealing with the aftermath of that day. Best to you this week. Hugs, Trish

7. Trish - Sweetology101
    Posted September 10, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

……..one can not be TOO grateful that is……….can't type with the tears blurring my eyes! :)

8. karla ramirez
    Posted September 11, 2011 at 5:28 am | Permalink

Beutiful post. Your heart must be made of sugar and butter.

9. Rowaida
    Posted September 11, 2011 at 7:06 am | Permalink

Beautiful post Meaghan. 9/11 was sad & tragic day also being our wedding aniversary couldn't celebrate it for years thinking of all the lives lost. God bless

10. Beth Jackson Klosterboer
    Posted September 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

You may not have found a way to pay tribute in sugar, but you certainly did so with your words.

Also, I hope the best for you and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers this week.

Beth @ Hungry Happenings

11. Anonymous
    Posted September 11, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Here's a video I stumbled upon months ago…Sept. 11th wasn't even on my mind…I was actually searching for the song the poster used (it was one of my favorites, but I hadn't heard it years).

I wasn't directly touched by the tragedy, but this devastates me…

12. EL PUCHERETE DE MARI
    Posted September 11, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Desde España os mando todo mi cariño en este 10º aniversario de esta gran tragedia, durante todo el dia he estado muy triste y he sido incapaz de publicar en mi blog,desgraciadamente nosotros también sufrimos la ira de los terroristas en los atentados del metro de Madrid donde también murieron muchas personas y muchas familias quedaron rotas para siempre.
    Ojala nunca mas se vuelvan a repetir secuencias tan horribles.
    Un beso

13. Pink Little Cake
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Thinking of you and hoping that everything goes well with your test.

I still get upset watching a video like the one here, it is so sad and hard to believe what happened 10 years ago.

Posted September 14, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Meaghan, You truly have a gift with words.
    Watching all the footage of 9/11 the other day was very emotional. I really can't watch it without tears. I don't personally know anyone directly affected, but of course it impacted me(and everyone else) regardless. Our world was changed forever, and my heart goes out to all of those that feel that change in a highly personal and heartbreaking way.
    I hope all goes well for you with your health issues, Meaghan. Hang in there! XO