this is how we roll when we go to the mall

This post has nothing to do with crafty sweets. I just feel it’s noteworthy. So indulge me for just a moment.

This is a photo I snapped of my 4-year old as we were leaving to head to the mall. It’s not a very good photo, but I do have to note a few things about her attire. It all started with the cheap princess dress I got at Target around Halloween. She wanted to wear it to the mall. As long as she wears weather-appropriate real clothes underneath, sure, what do I care?
Then she wanted a necklace. “Go get one from the dress-up bin while I get ready,” I say. Five minutes later, this is what I saw.

1. The princess dress that started it all.
2. She got about four necklaces, including a jingle bell on a string from last Christmas.
3. There’s also the princess crown, of course, to go with the dress.
4. And a mix of hair bands to wear as bracelets.
5. And the wand.
6. And the wings.
7. And a leopard print purse you can’t see in this picture.
8. And pink sparkly shoes after arguing over…
9. …the fact that I refused to let her wear either the plastic high heeled shoes that are 2 sizes too big or the flip flops.
10. The toilet paper roll creature didn’t come with us.
Everything else spent many, many hours doing errands, wings and wand and tiara and all.
What impressed me most was how very quickly she threw this ensemble together. There was no planning, no debate, no frustration over having nothing to wear. She makes it all seem so easy.

1. MrsFoxsSweets
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

I can so relate to this! My 3 soon to be 4 year old Princess does the same thing! So cute!

2. Conny's Cottage
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Haaaa so sweet…

:O)

Greatings send you Conny

3. Julie Gallagher
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

On my word! I have the same "problem" with my 5 year old Zara – think purple tutu, tiara, plus the full winter and raincoat BUT I cut the line when the mobile barking toy dog nearly "sneaked" out the door on a leash too.

4. Trish - Sweetology101
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Incidentally, this is what I wore to work yesterday, so one can conclude that she is destined for great things….great things.

In other news, what the HADES is that toilet paper roll creature supposed to be freaky long arm worm man?

5. Paula
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

She and her outfit are adorable. I'm sure she was very proud of her ensemble and rec'd many compliments on it at the mall.

6. Momof1
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

so cute! I made the same toilet paper creature for my daughter. I can see my daughter wanting to wear something like this in the future (she'll be 2 next month). = )

7. karenb
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

She is adorable!! Cherish these moments!! She will grow up so fast and you'll wish she still played "dress-up!" My daughter was the same way!! Just wait until she's a teenager and tries to sneak out of the house in an inapproriate/horendous outfit!!!

8. Carol
    Posted November 12, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

She is gonna love that picture when she gets older! I think she's going to have a career in fashion some day! :)

9. Pink Little Cake
    Posted November 13, 2011 at 2:29 am | Permalink

Once again I love this post because is all about what we discuss in our little emails "keeping it real".(which by the way it has inspired me to do something on my blog)
    I can relate to this, Camilla is just like that, she has even gone to Pre K in her pink tutu and cowboy boots because she refuses to take them off.
    Your little one is adorable! We are so lucky to enjoy these moments with our little ones.

Posted November 13, 2011 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Classic and precious!

11. Sugary Flower
    Posted November 13, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

So funny and cute – I have a four-year-old Princess/Ballerina, too, so I can relate. Mine wore her delightful dressup ensemble to the paediatrician's the other day!

12. Amanda
    Posted November 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

She is so cute. Going to the mall is always more fun when you dress up. My daughter will probably start doing that someday. I'm actually surprised that she hasn't asked to wear her Tangled wig to the store.

13. Beth
    Posted November 14, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

I wish I could have had this picture 10 years ago to show Greg his future!

14. amy c
    Posted November 14, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Haha! It's like looking at a picture of my daughter. Sometimes it princess attire, sometimes she's dressed as a cat and then there is the mish-mash of a bold print dress, bright rain boots and a bright sun hat that looks so good the meter maid asked if I dressed her. :) Thanks for sharing this. It's darling.

15. the decorated cookie
    Posted November 14, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

To all those who know… My hope is that when others in public spot her, they will assume this was her self expression, not the mother's insanity. Trish, did you call her to plan your outfit in the AM? The toilet paper roll freak is a long story. But then, aren't all stories that involve toilet paper rolls? Also, see "momof1"'s comment.

Exactly, Beth, exactly. I think he probably envisioned shooting hoops and tossing a football around instead. (I'm still holding out hope she'll discover athletics, though. I also still feed her train passion when I can!)

16. sue
    Posted November 14, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

LOL my kid would wear his super mario costume everywhere if he knew I would let him. Why not they are only little once.

17. sugarswings
    Posted November 14, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

!!! love!!! Our 4 year old's need to meet and play one day–heck we should meet and play one day :)

18. Gabbie V
    Posted November 15, 2011 at 3:43 am | Permalink

I totally relate – this morning we left for the shops with Lily (2 y.o.) wearing tiger ears!

19. the decorated cookie
    Posted November 15, 2011 at 3:57 am | Permalink

And now I'm relating right back. Yes. Exactly. We had panda earmuffs today.

20. Anonymous
    Posted November 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

This is what being a kid is all about. I love that you are a parent like me. :) clothes dont really matter at that age, fun does. Just yesterday i let my little girl paint her face like a lion and that is the way she stayed all day, no matter where we went.

21. Amy
    Posted November 17, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

My own mom would find this to be very reminiscent of the time I wore a gold lamee cape to the mall with her only to disappear. My mom very calmly walked around asking, "Have you seen my daughter?" and have people reply with, "Was she wearing a gold cape? She went that way."

22. the decorated cookie
    Posted November 18, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

See? Creativity and independence is practical. Everyone spots gold lamee and princess tiaras. Everyone.