The Video Experiment: party marshmallows for New Year’s Eve

As if my inexperience with photography wasn’t enough, I’ve decided to take on video. “Take on video” by propping my camera on a box and pressing the video button. Then fiddling with the free software on my computer. So forgive the quality (or rather, lack thereof). Pretend I’m speaking louder in that second part.

I started with something super-easy: My sparkly marshmallow pops dressed up for New Year’s with some curling ribbon. If I improve my video skills I’ll try something a little more tricky.

The videos will all demonstrate techniques covered in my new book, Sugarlicious. Which by the way, you can preorder HERE. Just in case you haven’t preordered it yet. And the best part? I’m going to attempt to keep them under 2 minutes. Why? Because I know what it’s like to be swamped and have little patience for long videos. So here’s your first 1 minute and 42 seconds (I don’t know why the screen is black, but it should work, if not, you can watch HERE at YouTube):

You can also watch at You Tube HERE.

1. Roberta
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Oh, I like your idea! =) Looking forward to seeing more videos!!

2. Karen @ Sugartown Sweets
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

As a marshmallow nut myself…i LOVE these!

3. sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Great idea! And I am proud of you and your video, I would not even be able to do that LOL.

4. Jacqueline
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Very pretty!

5. Warning Sugary Goodness
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

You did great! A little music, some graphics, close-ups, keep up the good work!!!!

6. Jo Andrade
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

BOM DIA, TOMARA QUE UM DIA CONSIGAM TRADUZIR O VIDEIO EM PORTUGUES. FELIZ ANO NOVO!

7. Linda - Bengtssons Baksida
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

What a good turtorial! Looking forward for more :-) I could only watch it on youtube, so keep posting them there aswell ;-)

8. SprinkleBakes
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

So cute, and love the video!

9. romaseba
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

Lol it looks as if it's complicated to make on the picture but when you watch the video it it's just like… I SEE THE LIGHT :P XX

10. The Partiologist
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 12:41 am | Permalink

I hope to find time to make this for my last minute New Years Eve celebration! Thanks – they are perfect!

11. Michele
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Those marshmallows are SO pretty. The video idea is great!

Posted December 31, 2011 at 2:00 am | Permalink

Very impressive, Meaghan! Love the music, graphics and end result:)

13. Joy
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 4:28 am | Permalink

You did great. The marshmallows is a cute idea.

14. Paula
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Cute idea and a perfect video. More please ;)

15. Beagoodmom
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 1:32 am | Permalink

hello, how far in advance could I make these?

16. the decorated cookie
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Thank you all so much! Beagoodmom, hopefully you'll come back here since I couldn't find an email for you… While marshmallows dry out pretty quickly in open air, the sprinkles and water form a sort of coating that makes them last a bit longer. Ideally you'd make these the morning before serving, but you can make them the day before too, but for added security, after they dry an hour or two, I'd lay them in a big tupperware container lined with parchment paper.

17. Posted January 29, 2012 at 4:36 am | Permalink

I did come back! My party is next saturday. I will try to make these Saturday morning…in Angry Bird colors! Thanks!

18. Pamela
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 8:50 am | Permalink

Omg i hope you keep posting you have giving me wonderful ideas.

I make almost every thing for my kids and my hubbys birthdays and every year everyone sees how much work gose into it. Little do they know it only takes a few things for it to look so wonderful.

I would have never though about using the sand on stuff like this. I did buy a whole heaps of sand a few months ago and never had and idea besides cakes and cookies what to use it for but this gives me a whole diffrent idea.

thanks keep up the good work