cherry blossom marshmallows

Why, it’s a veritable cherry blossom bonanza! (I know, that was an odd exclamation.)

If you want some cherry blossoms around you, but don’t want to bake the cookies, make the fondant and go through those labors, just go with my old standby: Marshmallows and food coloring pens. Done and done. Yeah, I’m pretty sure most of you knew these were on their way.

Edible writers come in surprisingly few colors, so I pulled out all the pinks of all the brands I had to get some shades in there, my FooDoodlers, Gourmet Writers, Kopy Kakes, though a light pink doesn’t exist. (Side plea to those that make edible writers…. please make pastels! And a gray! And a lime green!) For these I used a brown marker to make the branch, then just added a bunch of pink dots. To try and get some lighter pinks, I used the side of a fat marker lightly. Add a stick if you want. I wanted.

1. Posted March 7, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Beautiful Meaghan, so artistic love!

2. Posted March 7, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

so cute. And I got your book and tried your cake recipes for yellow cake and chocolate cake, but I must have done something wrong, I got way more out of it than you said, I made well over 60 mini cupcakes, and I filled them well. But it makes it even better, I had lots of extra:)

3. Sar Tann
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Those are beautiful marshmallows… In your opinion what are the best food writers? When I have used them they tend to drag and what ever I’m trying to do looks awful.. I’ve all but given up on them, do you have any suggestions?

4. Sar Tann
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Sorry I’m so new to your site I didn’t realize you had a whole article on food writers. lolol The things you make are truly amazing. I read the whole thing and will look for the Gourmet Writer Food Decorator Pens. Thank you. :)

5. Posted March 7, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

My husband was born and raised in Arlington and for our first year of marriage (1985) we lived in Reston. The whole of Washington DC and the (monument) mall (not to mention the mall at Tyson’s corner) was our playground. Nothing was more enchanting that the cherry blossoms in springtime. Your work is beautiful. Again, always.

xxoo

Posted March 7, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Thank you!! Yep, I know those areas well, too!

Posted March 7, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Thank you Sar Tann! Looks like you found the post! Yes, I have many opinions on food writers :)

Posted March 7, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Wow Sue!! Maybe a typo in the book :). Better too many than too few I suppose!!

9. Posted March 7, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

oh way better to have too many, I was just shocked because I made three batches thinking it would be cutting it close, trust me my friends at work did not complain:)

10. sandy
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

I just love these marshmallows! You are so talented and I am looking forward to following your blog!!!

11. Cindy B.
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

I love all your creative ideas, they inspire me to be creative too!

12. Posted March 7, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

YAAA! Guess what Sophia and her buddy Brooke will be doing on their playdate after school on Friday…oh YA…THESE! THANKS!

13. Posted March 7, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

I normally don’t think of marshmallows as pretty, but you amazingly make them look so pretty!

14. Posted March 7, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

I tell ya, your marshmallows just make me happy. :)

15. Posted March 8, 2012 at 1:49 am | Permalink

so pretty m!

16. Posted March 8, 2012 at 3:53 am | Permalink

Mmmmm…marshmallows!!! Almost too pretty to eat!

17. Jennifer
    Posted March 8, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Your creativity amazes me. I would never have dreamed that someone could make a simple marshmallow so beautiful!

18. Posted March 8, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

I love these..and i LOVE your new book. I bought one for my sister too! She loved her birthday present. :)

Posted March 8, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Woo hoo, thank you Karen!!!

20. M. Logan
    Posted March 9, 2012 at 1:55 am | Permalink

THESE LOOK AMAZING! You’re so inspiring! Thank you!

21. Amanda C
    Posted March 9, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Absolutely beautiful. I never would have thought to use food writers on marshmallows. You did a gorgeous job. I would never want to eat them, they are way to pretty.

22. Posted March 11, 2012 at 1:16 am | Permalink

SO pretty, wow Megan, gorgeous as a piece of art, collection & singles, clever girl, love Posie

23. Posted March 11, 2012 at 1:25 am | Permalink

Opps, my link was all wrong, just too excited to comment i guess, love Posie

24. Posted March 11, 2012 at 4:04 am | Permalink

Another beautiful marshmallow creation! I actually thought of you when I saw the marshmallow scenes in “The Lorax”:)

Posted March 11, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Aw, Sue, now I have to go see the movie!

26. Ashleigh
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Wow your totally artistic, i didn’t even think doing this with marshmallows was possible. lol i totally love the melting snowman cookie totally yummy haha. You did a fabulous job,i could never eat em,but they look delicious.

One Trackback

1. [...] – the blooms provide inspiration for many crafts. Look at these painted marshmallows found on the decorated cookie or visit  Martha Stewart for a tutorial on how to make a paper cherry blossom [...]