homemade SpaghettiOs {appreciation post}

wm.spaghettios3

When Amanda of i am baker had the great idea to do an appreciation post for her husband to introduce him to her readers, and then had the second great idea that other bloggers do the same with their significant others on the same day, I had to jump on the great idea bandwagon. (For links to all the bloggers’ appreciation posts, scroll to the end.) I’ve mentioned my husband on occasion here, most notably with this camo cookie homage to service men and women, as my husband’s an Army Reservist.

wm.camo.cookies4

But mostly he lingers in the background, usually walking through the room when I’m knee-deep in blogging, wherein I’ll give him a dirty look for disturbing my concentration. (Um, lucky man?) So, who is the man behind the awesome woman? (Note, “awesome woman” here is me.)

That’s Greg right there.

greg_pic

Yes. I told him I needed a photograph for this post and that’s what he chose. Him having a beer in our unfinished basement (aka his cave). Now picture this same man braiding a six-year-old’s hair. Or standing in front of 300 JAGs-in-training giving a lecture on Army law stuff.

Let’s see how well he did on his interview questions, shall we?

What is your significant other’s favorite blog called?

The decorated cookie. It’s probably #3 on my list of most-visited blogs.

(My note: I only just realized he was supposed to name “my” favorite blog, I think I asked him what my blog was called. So there were errors all around on this one.)

What is their favorite prop?

I don’t even know what this means exactly.

(My note: This is akin to our wedding when I asked him over email what color boutonniere he wanted and responded, “What’s a ’boutonniere?’ It doesn’t sound like something I’d like.)

What is the weirdest thing you have seen your spouse do for a blog post?

I’d have to say the marshmallow movie, which technically was for a contest and not a blog post, but close enough.  Note: it was “weird” but AWESOME, btw.

(My note: He means this marshmallow stop motion video.)

If you could have your own blog what would you call it?

“Why the hell are you reading blogs?  Buy a newspaper for crying out loud.”  (Note: this was not what my blog was actually called for the 3 months or so of its existence, but if I were starting a blog today, that is what I would go with.)

(My note: That “Note” was his note, not my note.)

What are your favorite blogs?

These days, I probably read Lawfare (http://www.lawfareblog.com/) and WoW Insider (http://wow.joystiq.com/) a lot.  Not sure if I can say one more than the other.

(My note: This wasn’t actually one of the interview questions. He misread the first question about what is the name of my blog. Now he’s probably reading this all “d’oh!”.)

What do you do for a living and what are your hobbies?

lawyer/guitar, gardening, reading news, computer games

Who does the dishes?

equal share

(My note: that’s about right. Though we do them very differently.)

wm.spaghettios1

For his appreciation recipe, I chose to make homemade SpaghettiOs®. Although, I’m pretty sure this dish wouldn’t fool him into thinking it came from a can, having almost 40 years of experience eating SpaghettiOs. Oh, yes, he loves his SpaghettiOs. He scrapes every single “O” out of the can, even those tiny ones that look like dots. He even has a SpaghettiOs bowl (see below). And there’s a spoon somewhere, too. When he was in Iraq, I sent him so many cans of SpaghettiOs even he couldn’t keep up with the consumption.

I added some carrot puree in there, well, um, carrot baby food to be precise–yeah, I went there–, to get some vegetables in him. I expect he will add hot sauce, as he does to most everything. In a perfect world, I’d have ordered this O-shaped pasta. In a perfect world. In this world, we are going to pretend these mini cylinders are O-shaped pasta. This recipe below started from two sources: This post at Seeded at the Table and this post at Too Much Time on My Hands. And then I kept adding stuff. I must admit, it’s been awhile since I’ve eaten SpaghettiOs, so the taste comparison wasn’t very accurate.

wm.spaghettios2

homemade SpaghettiOs recipe

1 cup canned tomato sauce (if you like your pasta sauce-y, add the whole can)

3 tablespoons tomato paste

1/2 cup carrot baby food

1/8 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

2 teaspoons sugar

salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

8 ounces little pasta, whatever shape you think works best

Cook the pasta according to the package directions until al dente. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium low heat, mix the tomato sauce and paste, baby food, spices and sugar with a large whisk and cook until heated through, stirring occasionally. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Drain the pasta and add to the tomato mixture. Stir and simmer over low heat for five minutes.

Let’s see what everyone else made for their significant others:

Lauren from Keep It Sweet Desserts made M&M Kit Kat Cake

Rachel from Rachel Cooks made Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Shanna from Pineapple & Coconut made Best Ever Chicken Enchiladas

Meaghan from The Decorated Cookie made Homemade SpaghettiOs

Amy from Very Culinary shared a Fabulous Video!

Liz from The Lemon Bowl made Lebanese Meat Pies (Sfeehas)

Cassie from Bake Your Day made Something Fabulous

Julie from Julie’s Eats and Treats made Something Fabulous

Stefani from Cupcake Project made Graham Cracker Waffle Cones

Katerina from Diethood made Something Fabulous

Betsy from Java Cupcake made Something Fabulous

Kimberly from The Daring Gourmet made French Almond Cake

1. Posted September 12, 2013 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Ha, my husband had no idea what I was talking about when I said “prop” either!

2. Posted September 12, 2013 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Haha….love it! Great interview!

3. Posted September 12, 2013 at 9:07 am | Permalink

Your husband is hilarious. “The decorated cookie. It’s probably #3 on my list of most-visited blogs.” I seriously laughed out loud when I read that… sounds EXACTLY like something my husband would say. Your hubbies sense of humor is fantastic… you two must have so much fun together!! Thanks for doing this… loved meeting your dreamboat! ;)

Posted September 12, 2013 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Thank YOU, Amanda, for this idea! I wish we could all get together for dinner. Some day… I could have written lots more, too.

Posted September 12, 2013 at 9:25 am | Permalink

I knew he wouldn’t know, Lauren, but I wanted to see how that would pan out!

6. Posted September 12, 2013 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Okay first– I’d never seen your marshmallow video! LOVE it. Second– these posts are so much fun! And I think my kids would totally dig your Spaghetti-O’s!!! Thanks for a great interview & recipe!
    P.S. The first question tripped me up, too. Ha!

7. Posted September 12, 2013 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Of course… he had to pick a picture of him looking tough ;) But I sure would like to see a picture of him braiding hair!

8. Posted September 12, 2013 at 9:54 am | Permalink

I love that he wanted to be photographed in his ” man cave” so funny!! And I am so making these homemade spaghettios for my kids – they would LOVE it!!!

9. Posted September 12, 2013 at 10:00 am | Permalink

I love when guys can braid hair. Fun recipe idea too! Looks much better than the can!

10. Posted September 12, 2013 at 10:06 am | Permalink

You guys are so cute and I am LOVING these spaghetti-o’s!

11. Posted September 12, 2013 at 10:20 am | Permalink

LOVE the picture! I love Spahettios too…weird yes I know!

12. Posted September 12, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

The fact that Spaghettio’s is his favorite food automatically makes him one of my favorite people! :) I totally want to buy those circle pastas, but since the shipping is double the price of the pasta, I think I’ll keep with what I can find at the store. :) haha! Great post!

13. Posted September 12, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Such a fun post! And I am all over those spaghettio’s!

14. Posted September 12, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Doing the dishes differently, as in, you do them the right way? Lol. I want to see the picture of him braiding the hair! And…I LOVE that bowl :D

15. Posted September 12, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Your husband sounds like a riot. I still love spaghetti o’s too!

16. Posted September 12, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

I LOVE the picture he chose for himself! That is awesome, makes you just want to hang out with him! And he’s blog name rocks! I have never tried spaghetti-O’s but I think my hubby would appreciate them!

Posted September 12, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Yes, Amy. I do them the right way. I stopped short of saying that, so I’m glad you did!!

18. Posted September 12, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

My hubs says the same thing about reading a newspaper–he poo poos my kindle all the time. Thanks for sharing this. Loving every single post!

19. Posted September 12, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Love the interview – my husband got confused about the questions too!

20. Posted September 12, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Fun!! I love how supportive our spouses are even when they don’t really know what’s going on, like not knowing what a prop is. Great post, I love the SpaghettiOs!

21. Posted September 12, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

This was a fun read:) I may try this with my husband, maybe on 11/22, our anniversary. I LOVE your husband’s bowl!

22. Posted September 12, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

LOL, I totally got that first question wrong when I asked him, so he said the favorite blog was mine too. :)

Okay, I need to watch that video…

23. Posted September 12, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Great interview … but I really want to know … do his SpaghettiOs taste better when they are in his “special” bowl?

24. Posted September 13, 2013 at 2:12 am | Permalink

LOL 40 years experience eating spaghettios!!! I loved the answers it’s fun seeing how each hubby answers them and I love his photo too :)

Posted September 13, 2013 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Yes, Brenda, I believe they do. I believe they do.

26. Posted September 14, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

That’s so funny that he chose that picture. :D

And he chose SpaghettiOs?! Your husband sounds like a fun guy.

I had no idea what a boutonniere was either (until now) and my response would have probably been the same! ;)

27. Posted September 14, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

LOL! I love the photo and then the follow-up with, “braiding his girl’s hair”. Awesome!!

28. cindy
    Posted January 12, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Spagettio’s : cooked ring-shaped pasta (unless u can get the little loopies), 1 can Campbell’s tomato soup (do NOT dilute), heat until nice & warmed. Combine soup, shredded American cheese, to taste, & the drained pasta. Stir until cheese is melted. Taste & add salt & pepper as needed. May serve with parmesan on top.

enjoy!