How to make your own everything bagel seasoning blend in seconds with just five ingredients.
everything bagel seasoning
Trader Joe’s fans, have you discovered the goes-with-everything Everything But the Bagel Seasoning blend? Oh my, it’s a game changer. Just a sprinkle of the seasoning blend adds a bit of crunch, salt, flavor, and texture. But, dear friends, what if you do not have a Trader Joe’s nearby? What are you to do? Fear not, as you can make your own homemade Everything bagel seasoning in seconds.
how can you use everything bagel seasoning?
I’m glad you asked. One of my favorite snacks (or appetizer or side dish) to make is 3-ingredient mini stuffed peppers. Here some more ideas, but I’m sure you clever folks will find more.
- sprinkle over avocado toast
- sprinkle over your morning eggs
- sprinkle over roasted veggies
- roast chicken covered in the seasoning
- top store-bought hummus or guacamole
- mix a handful in with your popcorn
- top your mac and cheese with a bit of the blend
- sprinkle over bread before baking
- stuff celery with cream cheese and top with the blend
- mix in to softened butter
- mix in to spreadable cheese
- add to your salad
- top baked potatoes
- make some homemade crackers
- sprinkle over buttered corn on the cob
- mix in to chicken, tuna, or shrimp salad
- brush store-bought dinner rolls with butter and the blend before baking
- add to buttered rice for an interesting side dish
- replace the salt on soft pretzels
- on sushi!
how do you make everything bagel seasoning?
The blend from Trader Joe’s consists of sesame seeds (white and black), sea salt flakes, dried minced garlic, dried minced onion, and poppy seeds. I wanted to make the blend myself from ingredients easily found in most supermarkets, so I use only white sesame seeds and I substitute coarse sea salt for the sea salt flakes. You may also add black sesame seeds if you find them, but I did not feel the extra expense was necessary.
you will need:
- poppy seeds
- sesame seeds (mix of white and black OR just white)
- minced dried garlic
- minced dried onion
- coarse sea salt
how much to mix together
You may, of course, add more or less of each ingredient to your everything bagel seasoning recipe, depending on your own taste, but this is the proportion that I find works best and tastes most similar to the original blend. This combination makes 1/3 cup.
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon minced dried garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onion
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
printable everything bagel seasoning recipe