swirly fondant lollies

The lovely blogger over at Gordon Gossip found these cute, swirly goodies from Better Homes and Gardens and fretted over working with fondant. Fear not! Here’s a quick tutorial to ease nerves over fondant. Fondant is user-friendly and will open so many cake and cookie decorating doors.

As BHG advises, fondant is best used in small amounts. I use it for accents on cakes and cookies. In large amounts, it simply isn’t appetizing, so these lollies and the trees on their site work better as decor rather than treats. I made small lollies in lieu of trees simply because I only had half a box of fondant on hand.

Prepared, white rolled fondant is available at major craft stores and cake decorating supply stores, usually the Wilton brand. It comes in big, white squares and is the consistency of Play-Doh. In fact, you manipulate it in much the same way.

TIPS:

• Fondant does dries out, but kneading it will soften it again.
  • But kneading will also make it sticky and difficult. If fondant gets too soft (that is, if when working with fondant it starts to stick to your hands and leave residue, it’s too soft), let it sit uncovered on wax paper about 15 minutes and try again. It should be pliable and simple to use. The first sign of frustration, stop and let it sit out to stiffen a bit.
  • Roll fondant easily between two pieces of wax paper.
  • Tint fondant by adding a few drops of food coloring and kneading very well to blend it.
  • Cut out shapes with cookie cutters or make 3-D shapes.
  • To adhere fondant to other pieces of fondant or to cookies and cakes, you can either use light corn syrup or water dabbed on with a paint brush or your finger.
  • Let stiffen about an hour and harden overnight.
  • As mentioned, fondant can dry out, so wrap unused portions well in plastic.

how to make swirly fondant lollies

you will need:
white rolled fondant
food coloring (I use Americolor soft gel pastes, Electric Green and Red)
lollipop sticks

step one: tint fondant
Knead a few drops of coloring into a palm-ful of fondant very well. Let sit out if it gets too sticky.

step two: roll fondant logs
I used smaller lengths than the bhg instructions. I took a small piece, about a 1 1/2 inch ball, of tinted fondant and rolled it into a log on the counter about 10″ long and 1/4″ thick. Repeat with white fondant and line up the two logs. Here, bhg uses three logs (two white and one tinted) to achieve a smaller colored stripe. I wanted a bigger stripe so only used one white and one tinted. Carefully smush the two logs together with your fingers. Holding the ends, twist the logs. Then, alternately continue smushing the logs together with your fingers and rolling the new, blended log with your palm on the counter. The logs should blend together like shown.

step three: twirl your lolly
Now, simply coil the log into a circle and seal ends with a dab of water. If any part of the log is loose, use a touch of water as glue. Insert stick at bottom and let set an hour and harden overnight.

1. Sugar Siren
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 12:32 am | Permalink

These are very cute!

2. J+S
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 1:09 am | Permalink

You are so amazing to do this! Thank you, thank you! Love the Christmas marshmallows, by the way. I'll need to re-post those. :)

~Jenifer

3. Fazidah
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 3:08 am | Permalink

These are cute. I have difficulties to purchase readymade corn syrup, can I replace it with golden syrup?

Posted November 30, 2009 at 3:59 am | Permalink

thanks all! hmmm, Fazidah, probably not. The beauty of using light corn syrup to adhere pieces is that it's totally clear, so unless golden syrup is such, you'll risk seeing it. Water works well, too, so use a clean paint brush (or your finger) and brush sparingly on areas to be adhered like you would glue.

5. Jewel
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

That's a very cute idea! I agree that traditional fondant isn't all that tasty, BUT there's a lovely recipe for marshmallow fondant at Allrecipes.com. It's really tasty! Actually tastes good instead of like sugared wax.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this idea!

6. Anncoo
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

WOW! So pretty and cute!

7. birdutmasali
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

happy sugars :))
    very cute !!!

8. Kate
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

I love these! Thanks for sharing all of your tips!

9. Nina
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

They are cute – but if you want to make them as decorations – you might be better off using polymer clay.

It's as workable as fondant – and you bake it so it's hard and lasts year to year.

You can add a glaze to make it shiny too.

nina

Posted November 30, 2009 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

thanks everyone again! I've heard stories of great tasting fondant (usually with the word marshmallow in it) so I'm definitely going to try to make it, Jewel. I'll keep you all posted. And while I wanted to get a fondant tutorial for these lollies over to Gordon Gossip, polymer clay would actually last for Christmases to come. There's a whole polymer clay section on the blog I write for (at craftgossip.com). Something else I now want to try!

11. Lucy
    Posted December 1, 2009 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the fondant tips! These lollies are so pretty – look gorgeous :)

12. AJ
    Posted December 2, 2009 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks!!! This gives me an idea for Christmas cookies!!!

13. Whitney & McKayla
    Posted January 26, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

These would probably be amazing if you used a homemade marshmallow fondant…at least then I might eat one.

14. Whitney & McKayla