sweet peek: stamped conversation heart cookies

This sweet peek inside Sugarlicious is a bit different from the others. This isn’t exactly what you’ll find in the book, but I wanted to demonstrate how you can mix and match different techniques with different sweets so the ideas in the book serve as a starting point for much greater creativity. In the book, I use a stamping technique to make fondant conversation heart cupcake toppers. Here, I’m using the same toppers on cookies. If you prefer, instead of fondant, you can also flood royal icing on cookies, let it dry overnight, and then stamp on the icing. (Just be sure to let it dry super well!!)

For my cookie recipe, click HERE. Buy fondant from the craft store or cake decorating store, or to make marshmallow fondant, click HERE. For a royal icing recipe instead of fondant, click HERE. And for tips on flooding if you choose royal icing, click HERE.

how to make conversation heart cookies

recipes*

• fondant (store-bought recommended)
  • cookies
  • frosting, icing OR light corn syrup

supplies*

• 2-inch heart cookie cutter
  • gel paste food coloring (pink, purple, blue, green and yellow)
  • rolling pin
  • confectioner’s sugar
  • edible writers (pink and purple)
  • mini letter rubber stamps

* The frosting, icing or corn syrup is used to adhere the fondant to the cookie. Use anything you prefer, including store-bought frosting. Find fondant, cookie cutter, writers and rubber stamps in the craft store. Because my method is tough on edible writers, choose the least expensive brand with a thick tip. For food coloring, I use Americolor Soft Gel Pastes.  Note you can also buy pre-colored fondant in pastels at the craft store. If so, you won’t need the food coloring.

1. Prepare cookie dough according to the recipe, chill and roll out on a floured surface. Cut out hearts and bake according to the recipe. Let cool completely.

2. Prepare fondant, divide and tint desired colors. (Tint fondant by kneading one or more drops of food coloring into a handful of white fondant. For pastel colors, start with only one drop and add one additional drop at a time until desired color is reached. If fondant gets sticky from overhandling, let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes until easily pliable.)

3. Roll out preferred color of fondant on a surface dusted with confectioner’s sugar to prevent sticking, and cut out hearts.

4. Spread a small bit of icing, frosting or light corn syrup, whichever you prefer, on a cookie and adhere a fondant heart, smoothing with your fingers.

5. Spell out your message with the rubber stamps and use your preferred color of edible writer to cover the raised letters on the stamp. Gently impress the colored letters onto the fondant.

1. Posted February 12, 2012 at 5:02 am | Permalink

I am so happy that you shared this technique. I have had a set of rubber stamps like yours that I have never used. Now I know what to do with them! I’m glad I never used them with ink.

2. Posted February 12, 2012 at 8:28 am | Permalink

SWEET – I love how you have pressed the letters in too make them look like authentic candy hearts XOXO

3. Posted February 12, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

many many thanks !!!!!
    I’ve just posted on my website photos with a link to you of course !

4. Posted February 12, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

OH these are just too cute! I think I need to get my hands on some rubber stamps!

5. Posted February 12, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

These are so cute—they are definitely the best version of ‘conversation heart’ cookies I’ve seen, great job!

6. Posted February 12, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

What a creative idea! I made a sassy version of conversation hearts earlier this month and I wish I had thought of this! It would have made them look more “realistic.” I don’t have any rubber stamps, but I do have a cookie stamping set from Williams-Sonoma that I bet would work. Thanks! :)

7. pat cook
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 1:28 am | Permalink

I am so impressed by your talent! I wish I had just a little creativity to attempt these cookies. They are so very cute! I know they are tastier than the candy hearts!

8. Posted February 13, 2012 at 2:12 am | Permalink

These are really cute and now I need to get myself a set of stamp letters.

9. Posted February 15, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

These are so pretty! I need to convert it to other holidays:)

10. emily
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Hello
    I attempted to make these cookies and the cookies cooked beautifully :-) but when i cup the fondant out using the same shape n size cutter the fondant was bigger than my cookie :-( almost like my cookie had shrunk! Is there something i did that made this happen?
    Please help!!
    Kind regards Emily

Ps Thankyou so much for your excellent site it is so helpful and detailed. Your cookies are amazing :-)

Posted February 11, 2013 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh, Emily, I’ve never heard of a shrinking cookie! I don’t know why that would happen. I’m going to go research a bit and be right back.

Posted February 11, 2013 at 8:22 am | Permalink

So weird, I can’t find anything about cookies getting smaller. Did you chill the cookies before baking? And use my recipe or one that has baking soda or baking powder? I wish I had a better answer. :( If you plan on making much of these kinds of things, I do invest in cookie cutter sets. They are pricey, but I love the options. So I have a set of circles, stars and hearts that have different sized cutters, but all very close in size, for just this scenario!!