impulse buying and Halloween linzer cookies

I am such a sucker for stuff in the check out aisles. I picked up a Halloween linzer cookie set as I was juggling the kitchenware-I-don’t-need waiting in line at HomeGoods. But aren’t these the cutest? And so easy, too. When I was in Michaels, I saw a similar set from Wilton.
how I made them
I used my chocolate cookie dough for the cookies, cutting out the little ghosts, pumpkins, tombstones, bats, cats and witch hats with the mini cutters in the package. Then, I tinted fondant with my soft gel pastes (Orange, Regal Purple and Electric Green), rolled it out, used the linzer cutter to cut out a shape the same size as the cookie, and sandwiched the fondant between the two cookies using corn syrup as a glue. You can also use tinted frosting for this part.
the rest
And what did I do with all the little ghosts, pumpkins, tombstones, bats, cats and witch hats I cut out? I baked them, of course, and made little ghost, pumpkin tombstone, bat, cat and witch hat cookie bites.

1. mnemonique
    Posted October 19, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

lovely, chic and elegant. I adore them.

Posted October 19, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

I REALLY love the BRIGHT colors, especially with the deep chocolate contrast! These look great!

3. Jaime
    Posted October 19, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

LOL- I had to laugh when I saw this post. I, too, had a similar experience at Michaels, but I ended up putting the Halloween linzer cookie set DOWN. :-) Thanks for showing me what could have been!

4. GreenGirl
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 4:07 am | Permalink

they are so cute

5. Sarah-Lyn
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

God! I just love your blog!! lol

I've been a cupcake baker at home, for about 2+ years now but looking at your blog I am seriously considering leaving the cupcakes for a bit and trying cookies as my next challenge! Just love your work!

SL
    ibakecupcakes.com

6. KristenB
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

My husband is going to love these!!! Thank you. =)

7. Joy
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Ohh that looks so cute.

8. TheChocolatePriestess
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

That kits sounds like so much fun! I know I have a friend who would die to try that out for me or with me.

9. Paula
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Love the various colours. These make a very attractive looking cookie.

10. bridget {bake at 350}
    Posted October 21, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Home Goods is so darn dangerous!

These are precious!

11. Baking Fiend
    Posted October 22, 2010 at 1:18 am | Permalink

that's some awesome halloween cookies!

12. Katie
    Posted October 22, 2010 at 2:16 am | Permalink

They are so cute! I've definitely got to find me some Halloween cooking supplies!

13. lila
    Posted October 22, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

mmmmmm!! thy look fabulous and delicious!!
    Iam in heaven!
    xoxo
    lila

14. Victoria
    Posted October 25, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

What great cookies- good impulses you have:)

15. Jessiker
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 4:53 am | Permalink

awesome

16. J+S
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

What's the secret to having them not spread so the shapes get so distorted? Mine always spread too much, even if I refrigerate the dough (which is then rock hard and really difficult to roll out) and refrigerate the shapes after cutting them. Yeah, I'm challenged. I need lessons from you!

~Jenifer

Posted October 26, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

The secret Jenifer? Good dough. Good baking trays. Preheated oven that is actually the temperature it's supposed to be. I do chill my dough, for about 2 hours only. If it's too chilled, let it sit at room temp til pliable but still cold. I also flour stuff generously so it doesn't stick. And I find shortbread-y cookie recipes with one egg tend to spread less. I've had great luck with this chocolate cookie recipe (it has 2 eggs, so go figure) though.

18. cookies and cups
    Posted November 5, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Homegoods always sucks my in…those cute little bags of candy that I will never eat. Have far too many sitting in my pantry right now

Very cute cookies! Love the colors :)

19. Jelly Shot Test Kitchen
    Posted November 15, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Just adorable! What kid (or grownup for that matter) wouldn't love these!?