Skittles Straws… with Wrigley

I’m still working my way through my box of candy from Wrigley. And since most of the weight of the box comes from the two huge bags (as in 54 ounces, times two!) of Skittles®, I had to make something with that rainbow of candy.

By the way, have you seen the Skittles® site yet? It’s surreal, slightly bizarre and crazy impressive.

So what did I do with the Skittles? I pulverized them. And dumped them into paper straws. And they are delicious.

I tried the blender and food processor first, but the coffee grinder worked best. Now I will warn you if you try and make these, I don’t know what long-term damage grinding candy in a coffee grinder can do, so I’d stick with an inexpensive grinder. I’m pretty sure my grinder is mad at me now, but at least it worked. Except my coffee will probably taste like Skittles for months.

First I separated out the colors. Did this take a long time? Yes, it did. But the the sweet smell was intoxicating, so I didn’t mind.

Then, I ground and ground the colors in the grinder and ended up with this lovely powder (um, after digging out all the chunks that didn’t grind) and poured the powder into bowls.

To fill the straws, I folded one end and propped the straw in a cup. Cut a square of parchment paper. Use your fingers to grab a pinch of the ground candy from a bowl, then give the candy an extra grind through your fingers onto the parchment paper. This extra grind is to make sure there are no big bits in the candy. Also, sitting in the bowls, the candy starts to lump together a bit, and it’s easiest to pour into the straws when it’s powdery. (Because I used no additives, the powder can clump in the straws, too, so you may have to squeeze the straws to break up any stuck pieces.)  Fold the parchment to help pour into the straws. I spilled some, but the cup helped catch the excess.

Then just fold over the top and that’s it. Yum. Each color really does have a different flavor.

Comments

1. D&T Designs says

Wow… all I can say is wow. My daughter’s favorite ‘color’ is rainbow. May I ask where you found/purchased the paper straws??

2. says

You are my hero. Can I have one please? My husband and I disagree that Skittles have different flavors. For years we have played this silly game where he gives me one without me looking and I have to tell hom the color. He still doesn’t believe me. And yes we are nerds.

3. says

Brilliant. (I hope you are prepared, though, for the enormous amount of traffic you will receive: the word “Skittles” will not be the same for a very long time. I am talking about the horrible case in Florida. :( )

xoxo

4. says

I want to pulverize one of my coworkers today, can I use your grinder?? Or maybe I should just borrow one of these yummy creations to make them happier and in a better mood today b/c this would brighten anyone’s disposition, right?!?!

5. says

OMGoodness…what a fun idea! Wonder what it would taste like if you sprinkled a bit of Skittles powder in cupcake batter and maybe a little more in the frosting? Skittles cupcakes?? Oooh now we’re talkin’!

6. Konnie says

while a great idea, just how much did that treat cost? You could probably use koolaid a lot cheaper.just sayin’

• meaghanmountford says

Konnie, I bet you could! Though for me it was free since I got a huge box of candy from Wrigley :).

7. Tracy says

There’s a 50s style drive-in in my town that has a Sprittle drink: Skittles in Sprite. Would be fun to use the Skittles stix with a Sprite!

8. kathy pilato says

Hmmmm, wonder how interesting a skittles macaron would taste? or would the ingredients in the skittles cause the macaron to do something wonky?

Trackbacks