Skittles Straws… with Wrigley

I’m still working my way through my box of candy from Wrigley. And since most of the weight of the box comes from the two huge bags (as in 54 ounces, times two!) of Skittles®, I had to make something with that rainbow of candy.

By the way, have you seen the Skittles® site yet? It’s surreal, slightly bizarre and crazy impressive.

So what did I do with the Skittles? I pulverized them. And dumped them into paper straws. And they are delicious.

I tried the blender and food processor first, but the coffee grinder worked best. Now I will warn you if you try and make these, I don’t know what long-term damage grinding candy in a coffee grinder can do, so I’d stick with an inexpensive grinder. I’m pretty sure my grinder is mad at me now, but at least it worked. Except my coffee will probably taste like Skittles for months.

First I separated out the colors. Did this take a long time? Yes, it did. But the the sweet smell was intoxicating, so I didn’t mind.

Then, I ground and ground the colors in the grinder and ended up with this lovely powder (um, after digging out all the chunks that didn’t grind) and poured the powder into bowls.

To fill the straws, I folded one end and propped the straw in a cup. Cut a square of parchment paper. Use your fingers to grab a pinch of the ground candy from a bowl, then give the candy an extra grind through your fingers onto the parchment paper. This extra grind is to make sure there are no big bits in the candy. Also, sitting in the bowls, the candy starts to lump together a bit, and it’s easiest to pour into the straws when it’s powdery. (Because I used no additives, the powder can clump in the straws, too, so you may have to squeeze the straws to break up any stuck pieces.)  Fold the parchment to help pour into the straws. I spilled some, but the cup helped catch the excess.

Then just fold over the top and that’s it. Yum. Each color really does have a different flavor.

1. Posted March 20, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

What a fun idea! And, there is something so awesome about colorful, paper straws :)

2. Posted March 20, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

SO SUPER CUTE!!

3. D&T Designs
    Posted March 20, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Wow… all I can say is wow. My daughter’s favorite ‘color’ is rainbow. May I ask where you found/purchased the paper straws??

4. Posted March 20, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

You are my hero. Can I have one please? My husband and I disagree that Skittles have different flavors. For years we have played this silly game where he gives me one without me looking and I have to tell hom the color. He still doesn’t believe me. And yes we are nerds.

Posted March 20, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

That is insanely adorable, Katrina. (And you totally win. Different flavors indeed!)

Posted March 20, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

D and T, yes! I meant to include that up in the post. I got the pack of rainbow straws from the etsy shop, Cupcake Social http://www.etsy.com/listing/91462953/25-assorted-striped-paper-straws-and-pdf You can also get them at the Layer Cake Shop (they were out of the multi pack when I went to order) http://layercakeshop.com/index.php/Shop/NEW-Party/Stripe-Paper-Straw-Assortment.html?keyword=paper+straws

7. Posted March 20, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Brilliant. (I hope you are prepared, though, for the enormous amount of traffic you will receive: the word “Skittles” will not be the same for a very long time. I am talking about the horrible case in Florida. :( )

xoxo

Posted March 20, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Wait, what case in Florida? Now I have to go google… I’m so out of the loop.

Posted March 20, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness, I found the case, I think. So so sad, I agree completely, Susan. :(

10. Carolyn F
    Posted March 20, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

So, a lot of effort for, basically. Pixie Sticks. Think I’ll just eat my Skittles sraight.

11. Posted March 20, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

I want to pulverize one of my coworkers today, can I use your grinder?? Or maybe I should just borrow one of these yummy creations to make them happier and in a better mood today b/c this would brighten anyone’s disposition, right?!?!

12. Posted March 20, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

The colours are awesome and they made me smile right away. Thank you.

13. Ashleigh
    Posted March 20, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

I’m so gonna do this eee i have skittles in my kitchen!!! awesome idea!!! thanks oxox

14. Posted March 20, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

I follow your page greetings from far away:) and I admire what you are doing very nice things

15. Posted March 21, 2012 at 2:06 am | Permalink

OMGoodness…what a fun idea! Wonder what it would taste like if you sprinkled a bit of Skittles powder in cupcake batter and maybe a little more in the frosting? Skittles cupcakes?? Oooh now we’re talkin’!

16. Posted March 21, 2012 at 2:29 am | Permalink

That is SO fun, Meaghan! You are a genius! Love the corresponding straws:)

17. Posted March 21, 2012 at 9:53 am | Permalink

These would be great for party bags – great idea!!

Posted March 21, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Loren, I bet yummy. The powder really is like a flavoring… Definitely something to try!

19. Konnie
    Posted March 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

while a great idea, just how much did that treat cost? You could probably use koolaid a lot cheaper.just sayin’

Posted March 21, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Konnie, I bet you could! Though for me it was free since I got a huge box of candy from Wrigley :).

21. Posted March 21, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

NEATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Tracy
    Posted March 21, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

There’s a 50s style drive-in in my town that has a Sprittle drink: Skittles in Sprite. Would be fun to use the Skittles stix with a Sprite!

23. kathy pilato
    Posted March 21, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Hmmmm, wonder how interesting a skittles macaron would taste? or would the ingredients in the skittles cause the macaron to do something wonky?

24. Rebecca
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Someone needs to seriously market this because, Hello…..Skittle Pixie Sticks??? YUMMY!!!!

25. debbie batchelor
    Posted November 18, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

I would try freezing them first, then they might grind better.

Posted November 18, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Oooh, good call Debbie!

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] sweet tooth is craving some Pixy Stix after seeing this fun tutorial on how to make your own candy straws with Skittles over on The Decorated Cookie. If there as easy as it sounds, I'll be making my own! So what did I [...]

2. By Skittles Straws Are Way Better Than Pixy Stix on March 22, 2012 at 8:00 pm

[...] (via The Decorated Cookie) [...]