mis-fortune cookies

you will get a wart on your nose
you will be abducted by aliens
you will be impaled by a witch hat
a rat will gnaw on your toe
a bat will get stuck in your hair
zombies will knock on your door

you get the idea…

This is my first attempt at making fortune cookies (in this case, misfortune cookies). I’m sure my second will be better. I used THIS RECIPE, which I found quite tasty, and I added black frosting color to the batter. I also used parchment paper instead of greasing the trays.

Some tips from my mistakes:

• work quickly folding the cookies, and bake only a few at a time, 4 or 5
  • make sure to spread your batter circles well enough. I didn’t, and my cookies were a tad too thick, which made them crack when folding.

For the misfortunes, either write your own on 1/2″ by 3 1/2″ paper slips, or print my pdf of misfortunes HERE. If you write your own, here are some more misfortune suggestions:

a witch will cast a spell on you
a ghost will move into your attic
a vampire will suck your blood
you’ll get stuck in a spider web
slime will ooze from your nose
you’ll enter a haunted house…and never leave
you’ll get candy corn stuck in your teeth…forever
the dead will rise in your back yard
someone will poison your apple cider
your Jack O’ Lantern will come alive

1. cookies and cups
    Posted October 16, 2009 at 11:23 am | Permalink

ooh, how fun! never made fortune cookies before, they always seemed too complicated, but this sounds do-able! thanks!

2. Cheryl
    Posted October 16, 2009 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

These are great. Are they hard to make? What's the difficulty scale- 10 being the most difficult?

Posted October 16, 2009 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

I'd say a 4, if that. They were pretty easy and took less than an hour. My only problem was the thickness/breaking when folding, but that's because I realized afterwards I forgot the water from the recipe. Would've dropped it down to a 2!

4. Pink Little Cake
    Posted October 16, 2009 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

What a great idea!

5. thelumberjackswife
    Posted October 16, 2009 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Great ideas you have on this blog! Thanks!

6. oneordinaryday
    Posted October 16, 2009 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Brilliant! And very festive too!

7. Sue Sparks
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 2:39 am | Permalink

You have the CUTEST ideas! I've already done your marshmallow ghosts and your monster cookies:) These cookies are very clever! Thanks for sharing!

8. PuppyLovePrincess
    Posted October 18, 2009 at 12:33 am | Permalink

love these! what cheeky fun :)

9. Heidi
    Posted October 18, 2009 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

What an adorable (I meant spooky!) Halloween idea! Fortune cookies are so fun to make and this makes it even more fun. I think my daughters 2nd grade class would really love these at the class party!

10. Mini Baker
    Posted October 18, 2009 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

I love that they are black! so cute and clever!
    -Mini Baker

Posted October 18, 2009 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

What kind words! thank you all for your comments!

12. Tauni
    Posted October 19, 2009 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

What a cool idea…far, far above my skill level, but so fun!

13. Erin Jump
    Posted October 19, 2009 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Really cute! I think they turned out pretty good. And they look like FancyFortuneCookies with the dark brown color!

14. Sugar Siren
    Posted October 20, 2009 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

These are fantastic. What a really clever idea!

15. J+S
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 2:32 am | Permalink

I must make these! What a wonderful idea and thanks for the tips. Mind if I repost and link back to you?

16. Valerie
    Posted October 23, 2009 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Great halloween idea! I love it.

17. Emily
    Posted October 1, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

I love your misfortunes! I wish I could print them out but the site wont let me unless I pay :(

Posted October 1, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

??? You should not have to pay!! Scribd is free, though they may ask you to register. Did you see these on another site other than mine or scribd? If someone is charging for my pdf, I’ll get on it right away!

19. Emily
    Posted October 1, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

I clicked on your link (http://www.scribd.com/doc/21143506/Halloween-Fortunes) but when I click download or print it says ” To download this document you must be a Scribd Premium Reader” which is $9.

Posted October 1, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

What?!? I had no idea scribd made you pay to download. I never had a problem or paid and have always been logged in, so they must’ve added that rule after I signed up. Yikes, thanks for letting me know!! I’ll find another FREE way to upload a pdf! Now that I have wordpress, I’m sure I can find a plug-in. It may not appear until late tonight, when I am back on my computer, but I’ll figure out a way to get it on here for free. (And then, I’ll have to go back and do the same with my other scribd docs!)

21. Emily
    Posted October 1, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks!

Posted October 1, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

OK, I thiiiiiink I figured it out! If you click the link “pdf of misfortunes” it should go to the url and all you have to do is print. When I tested it it worked, but if it doesn’t work for you, let me know and I’ll go back to the drawing board! Thank you so much for letting me know about scribd!! Sigh… and now to go back and do this for every post I have with printables. :)

23. Emily
    Posted October 1, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

It worked perfectly. Thanks again. I can’t wait to make these.