chocolate bark on a stick (with crushed candy canes)

Technically this isn’t chocolate bark per se. It’s chocolate candy clay with crushed candy cane topping. But it’s the same concept as chocolate bark, just on a lollipop stick. Because everything is better on a lollipop stick.

how to make mini chocolate bark pops

you will need:*

candy clay recipe (see below)
bag of white candy melts
bag of semi sweet or milk chocolate chips
light corn syrup
baking tray
wax paper
candy canes
1 1/2 inch circle cookie cutter
rolling pin
Ziploc bag
mallet or hammer
4-inch lollipop sticks

small paint brush (wide and flat works best)

*Find the candy melts, cookie cutter (a circle this size may be part of a set) and the lollipop sticks in the baking aisle of the craft store. I used white candy melts, but you can use any color. You can use a larger circle cutter, too.

step one: make candy clay
For both the chocolate and the white pops, you’ll need two batches, one with chocolate chips and one with the candy melts. For the chocolate, melt 2 cups of chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler, in a saucepan set over simmering water or in the microwave according to package directions. When chips are almost melted, remove from heat and stir until fully melted. Stir in 1/3 cup of light corn syrup. Mixture will harden slightly as you stir. Turn the mixture out onto a baking sheet lined with wax paper and spread evenly (mixture will only take about half of the baking tray). Let dry several hours at room temperature. For the white pops, repeat above, but use a bag of candy melts in lieu of the 2 cups of chocolate chips. (Wrapped well in plastic, candy clay will last several weeks.)

step two: crush your candy canes
Place unwrapped candy canes in a Ziploc bag, working with just a few at a time. Use the mallet or hammer to crush.

step three: make your pops
Take a small piece of the candy clay and knead until softened and easily pliable. Roll out about 3/8 inch thick between two pieces of wax paper. Cut out a circle and insert a lollipop stick. I suppose if you did a really good job spreading the candy clay mixture in the baking tray to just the right smoothness and thickness, you could omit the kneading, but I didn’t.

step four: top your bark
Work with one pop at a time. Brush light corn syrup on the surface of the pop and sprinkle immediately with crushed candy canes.

1. Blog is the New Black
    Posted December 8, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Awesome idea!

2. greta
    Posted December 8, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Very cool.. I've never heard of candy clay. Is it mold-able just like clay? Could u mold it into something 3-dimensional?

Posted December 8, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

I should have known that you'd have some new sweet treats on a stick "up your sleeve"! Love all the variety!

Posted December 9, 2010 at 12:00 am | Permalink

Thank you! And yes, Greta, you can. Not quite as user-friendly as fondant (it can crack a bit), but you can definitely mold it into 3-d things. I've done snowmen and lots of other stuff.

5. Suzie
    Posted December 9, 2010 at 12:24 am | Permalink

I LOVE THESE!! Genius. I have a feeling these will be the "new thing". I'm gonna keep posting your fun stuff until you tell me not to!

Suzie

6. Lauren @ Crave. Indulge. Satisfy.
    Posted December 9, 2010 at 1:10 am | Permalink

Love these!

7. EFT for Cancer
    Posted December 9, 2010 at 1:17 am | Permalink

It definitely a great idea to give these treats as a gift for my nephews and nieces. Children loves candy and I am confident they will love these!

8. Suzie
    Posted December 9, 2010 at 1:22 am | Permalink

I could be reading this wrong, but in this recipe where you start explaining making the candy clay you don't mention adding the powdered sugar, vanilla etc. as it is in earlier candy clay posts. Is this a different recipe?

9. Stephanie
    Posted December 9, 2010 at 1:26 am | Permalink

What a clever idea! These would look great in our holiday cookie pop packages. Thank you for sharing.

Posted December 9, 2010 at 2:48 am | Permalink

Yes Suzie! Candy clay is only two ingredients: chocolate and light corn syrup. OR, a package of candy melts and light corn syrup. No powdered sugar or any other ingredients! Hence, super easy.

11. Perdita
    Posted December 9, 2010 at 9:40 am | Permalink

You are SO right- everything's better on a stick.

These are so easy, too. Even i could make them pretty with a bit of luck (my husband says i'm a 'taste' cook, not a 'presentation' cook LOL).

12. Mini Baker
    Posted December 9, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

so clever! LOVE this idea!!

13. Lora
    Posted December 9, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Very cute. and festive. Love them.

14. Bea Roque
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

OMG!!! How cute is that!!!! Love them!!

THanks

B

15. Tiffany Yang
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 8:41 am | Permalink

I posted a link on my blog at http://www.cutefoodforkids.com ^,^ Hope it's ok!