a sweet peek at Sugarlicious: Little Lamb Cake Balls

Straight from the pages of Sugarlicious…. here’s an example of what you’ll find inside. These little lamb cake balls are easy to make. Each craft idea has a list of the recipes, supplies and techniques you need, all included in the book, where you’ll find the recipes for cake and frosting to make cake balls and how-tos for melting the candy melts. There’s also a Techniques section that covers the “dip sweets in candy melts,” “use sprinkles and candy,” and “use edible writers” in further detail to answer any questions you might have. I added a few notes in the instructions below that are found elsewhere in the book, too.

Enjoy!

how to make little lamb cake balls

recipes

• cake pops (cake and buttercream frosting)
  • melting candy melts

supplies

• black edible writer
  • Jordan almonds
  • shredded coconut
  • white candy melts
  • mini pretzel sticks
  • wax paper

techiques

• dip sweets in candy melts
  • use sprinkles and candy
  • use edible writers

IDEA

• Tint the coconut pink, blue, yellow or purple, and use coordinating colors of candy melts and almonds.

1. Follow the recipe for cake pops to bake your cake, prepare your cake balls and chill.  (To make cake pops, prepare a cake in a sheet pan and crumble in a bowl when cool. Add 1 1/3 cup frosting and mix well with your hands. Roll into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Freeze for 15 minutes, then move to the fridge to keep cool as you work with a few at a time.)

2. Make 2 black dots for eyes with the edible writer on the Jordan almonds and set aside.

3. Pour coconut on a plate and set aside. Melt candy melts according to the package instructions. For each lamb, break 2 pretzel sticks in half so each pretzel piece is about 1 3/4 inches long. Dip the ends of the 4 pretzel pieces in the melted candy melts; then insert them in to the base of a chilled cake ball. For best results, return the cake ball to the freezer for 5 minutes to help set. Holding 2 of the pretzel legs, dip the cake ball in the melts and immediately roll in coconut. Stand the cake ball on the pretzel legs on a piece of wax paper. (TIP: add a few teaspoons of Crisco to the candy melts for a better dipping consistency.)

4. Use a dab of melted candy melts to adhere the Jordan almond head to the lamb. Let dry.

1. Posted February 8, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

I cannot wait to make those!!!

2. Posted February 8, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Love the idea! The little lamb cake balls are super cute and they stand…how cute is that!!!

3. Posted February 8, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

My mother would absolutely LOVE me to make these, they are adorable!

4. Posted February 8, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Everything about your book is cute and adorable but I have to tell you that these little lamb cake balls (no pun intended) really take the cake! I think that you are going to find these all over the web come Easter!

P.S. Love how you used measuring cups in the book to identify the level of difficulty for each treat.

Posted February 8, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Thank you Paula! Good eye about the measuring cups. PS. I keep looking at your book signing scene. I just can’t help it. All the details! Phenomenal.

6. Posted February 8, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Meaghan these are the cutest lambies… I love the salty pretzels as legs…

7. Posted February 8, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

As cute as can be and oh, so clever!! Thanks ever so much for sharing!

Posted February 8, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

Just to add to the cuteness, a behind the scenes glimpse: When we were shooting this scene, my photographer and I were laughing at the two lambs in the background. They look like the parents watching their kid learn to walk.

9. Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:18 am | Permalink

Stinking cute! Insane with cuteness!

10. Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:51 am | Permalink

When I saw these in your book I just squealed like a little girl…………so darn cute. It is seriously PACKED full, Meaghan. AMAZING…I keep flipping thru finding new stuff I missed like 10 times!

11. Posted February 9, 2012 at 5:16 am | Permalink

These are the cutest little things!! These will be fun to make with the kids!! Love them. :)

12. Posted February 10, 2012 at 10:57 am | Permalink

What an adorable idea!!! They are SO cute!

13. Posted February 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Okay…..these are just ADORABLE! Great job!!

14. Posted February 10, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

This is so cute! I wish I had baking skills! All my baking is done from a box :(

15. Posted February 10, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Preciosas! Graciassssssss

16. Posted October 16, 2012 at 9:09 am | Permalink

I made these sheeps. A little different way then yours may be.. I made them also with RAffaelo chocolate..

Hey! Thanks for the idea. Here’s my link..