How to microwave a single serving of mac and cheese in a mug.
This quick and easy lunch, snack, or dinner idea is ready in minutes. You can have your favorite comfort food any time you like!
Shared thousands of times, this is a blog favorite!
mac and cheese in a mug
You know mac and cheese is one of my top desert island foods, right? (Of course, I’m breaking the desert island food rule by also bringing ice cream, pesto, wine and biscuits.) That you can make an individual serving of mac n’ cheese in a mug in your microwave is kind of a game changer. And dangerous for the likes of me. Yep. Microwave mac and cheese in a mug. Awesomeness any time.
more mac and cheese recipes
Need more mac and cheese?
- Crock pot fan? Here is a roundup of slow cooker mac and cheese recipes.
- Another slow cooker favorite: crock pot beer mac and cheese.
- I’ve been making this beer mac and cheese for years.
- A homemade version of the Kraft recipe: Easy Mac copycat recipe.
- How about mac and cheese cupcakes?
tips on making microwave mac and cheese in a mug
- Mac n’ cheese is elbow pasta, milk and cheese, and it’s pretty forgiving. Feel free to play around the proportions of each to suit your taste.
- Use as big a mug as you have because the water will boil up pretty high. (So keep an eye on the microwave.)
- I used freshly shredded cheese because Ig it melts better, but you can use packaged pre-shredded cheese.
- You can also make this in a small bowl.
- If you prefer, boil the pasta on the stove top and use the microwave to add the milk and cheese.
how to make microwave mac n’ cheese in a mug
you will need:
1/3 cup uncooked elbow pasta
1/4 cup water, plus additional
1/2 cup (or more!) shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons milk
salt and pepper
what to do:
Place the pasta and 1/4 cup water in the mug and stir. Microwave for 1 minute, stir, and microwave for an additional minute.
Watch the microwave to be sure the water doesn’t boil over. (If it does, stop and stir.)
If the pasta needs more water, add an additional 2 to 3 tablespoons water.
Microwave for 2 more minutes, stirring after each minute. Check to see if the pasta is cooked as you like it. If not, microwave for an additional minute (add more water if needed before cooking).
Stir in the cheese, milk and salt and pepper. Microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Stir and enjoy!
What’s YOUR favorite way to make mac and cheese?