easy fondant bugs

These bugs are super easy to create and would make great toppers for cookies, cupcakes or cakes. (See the end of this post for notes on supplies and some tips for working with fondant. Click on any picture to enlarge.)

to make a worm you will need:

white rolled fondant
electric green food coloring

small confetti sprinkles

black gourmet writer

1. Prepare lime green fondant (See tips on preparing fondant at the end of this post.)

2. Roll pea-sized pieces of green fondant into balls and squish gently together, larger in the front, trailing to smaller sized pieces.

3. Adhere two small, white pieces of confetti sprinkles to the ball in the front. If needed, wet your finger and dab on the back of the confetti.

4. Draw eyes with the black gourmet writer.

to make a ladybug you will need:

white rolled fondant
red food coloring
black food coloring

black gourmet writer

1. Prepare red and black fondant (see end of this post for tips on working with fondant).

2. Roll a red ball and flatten underside.

3. Roll a smaller black ball and press on the front of the red ball.

4. Draw dots with your black gourmet writer.

to make a bumblebee you will need:

white rolled fondant
yellow food coloring

black food coloring
black gourmet writer

jumbo confetti sprinkles

wax paper
rolling pin

sharp knife

1. Prepare yellow and black fondant (see the end of this post for details).

2. Roll a yellow ball. Well, more of an ovoid shape. Flatten the front a bit and pinch the other end into a bit of a point.

3. Roll black fondant thinly between two pieces of wax paper. Let set about 10 minutes. Cut thin strips with a sharp knife and wrap around yellow body. Press gently to adhere.

4. With marker, draw eyes. Insert 2 light yellow confetti sprinkles for wings.

NOTES: Find the rolled fondant and the confetti sprinkles (Wilton brand) in any major craft store. You can also find food coloring and edible pens in the craft store, though I use Americolor soft gel pastes and gourmet writers, which are a tad harder to find.

TIPS: To tint fondant, knead a drop of food coloring very well into a palm full of fondant. Add drops until you reach desired color. Be warned! This can stain your hands, especially the black, so if you’re a hand model, don’t make these the morning of the shoot. If the fondant gets too sticky to work with, just let it sit out at room temperature uncovered for about 15 minutes. You want the fondant to stay pliable so you can squish pieces together and they adhere to each other, but not so mushy it is sticky and clings to your fingers. The minute the fondant starts to annoy you, let it sit out a bit.

1. Baking Momma
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 2:38 am | Permalink

These are definitely the cutest bugs I have ever seen. Thanks for the tutorial.

2. cookies and cups
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

very cute! I want to make
    garden-themed cupcakes now!

3. Bethie
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Adorable.

4. James ~n~ Amber
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

I love bugs !!! Fondant bugs that is. I've only ever made some ladybugs, but I've been needing a reason to make the little catterpillars. So cute !

5. jami
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Super cute! Any tips for making a fondant bi-plane? I am trying to figure out how to make the top wing stand up (3D) but not fall over or crush the rest of the plane. Thanks!

6. Jackie at PhamFatale.com
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

It seems like a super fun project for the kids to do with me. Thanks for sharing!

Posted August 4, 2009 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Thanks all! Jami–I'm pretty new to fondant. Are your trying to make a big biplane? (Like to fit on a cake?) I've never worked with it, but I've also heard gum paste is often better for such things, as it dries harder. Fondant will stiffen, but not as much. Are you also using supports between the wings? Like fondant (or gum paste) rolled into a bar shape? I think bi-planes have those anyway. Very ambitious task!

8. Mom2Be
    Posted August 5, 2009 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

these are sooo cute! : )

9. ipiet
    Posted August 6, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

such a cute bug :D

10. the twins
    Posted August 23, 2009 at 6:28 am | Permalink

so cute!

11. vincent
    Posted August 24, 2009 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

12. Katie K.
    Posted September 7, 2009 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

WOW. Do make your own fondant? I really need to start using it however satin ice isn't available to me and wilton tastes horrible in my opinion! These are adorable!

Posted September 8, 2009 at 12:57 am | Permalink

Thanks! Katie K.–Making my own fondant is on my to-do list, but I haven't done it yet. I heard marshmallow fondant is a good alternative, so when I get my kitchen back (mid renovations) I'll try it out and post on it. I use fondant so sparingly because I agree about the taste. Blech.

14. BOUTIQUE COOKIE
    Posted November 29, 2009 at 11:01 am | Permalink

They are cute!!!

15. Kerry_Kid Giddy
    Posted August 21, 2010 at 1:56 am | Permalink

I hands down LOVE the bumble bees!!!

16. Anonymous
    Posted September 3, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

SOOOOO cute! I have a wee one who wants a bug cake this year and love these ideas, thanks! How long in advance can you make the bugs? (I've never used fondant before, but want to try it) thanks!!

Posted September 3, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks Anonymous! I usually make the fondant toppers the day before and leave them out at room temp to stiffen. You can make them up to a few days ahead, though the longer they sit out, the harder they get (fondant isn't super tasty anyway, so I usually don't even eat it. Just pick it off the cookie or cake and eat the good stuff). You can also put them in a tupperware a few days out so they don't dry super hard.

18. Anonymous
    Posted September 4, 2010 at 5:14 am | Permalink

Thanks very much for the tips and advice! Can't wait to mske these and see them on his cake…thanks again for sharing!!

19. The Sweet Fairy Cake
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 3:14 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh! These are so adorable!! Cute!! Thanks so much for the tutorial! I was looking to make a bee! And by the way I loved your site! Congratulations!!! :D

20. dana
    Posted January 2, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

wow!!this looks soo adorable these are soo cute….
    Happy new year!!!

21. Anonymous
    Posted March 26, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

can we make these bugs with MMF. did u add gum tex to these bugs??

22. ediblecrafts
    Posted March 26, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

MMF meaning marshmallow fondant? Yes. Definitely. I didn't add gum tex. They are low enough and small enough that the fondant holds just fine.

Posted March 26, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

oops, that was me with the answer up there, just signed in on my other account!

24. Adi
    Posted October 18, 2011 at 7:11 am | Permalink

Wow, THANK YOU! My little girl is in the ladybirds class at school, and Friday she has to bring cupcakes. I'm going to make the pretties ones ever thanks to you :) .

25. the decorated cookie
    Posted October 18, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Hope they go well, Adi! My daughter's been a buttercup, poppy and an elephant so far, but no lady bugs yet.

26. Elsi
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

I love them!!! Is there anything else I could use to make the wings? From what I read, fondant wings would likely fold over? Thank you so much!

Posted February 18, 2014 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Hi Elsi,
    For the bees shown, I used jumbo confetti sprinkles for the wings, not fondant. SO much easier to jam those in there!

28. Elsi