ooh la la…Paris cupcakes

Yes, Paris is on my mind. These cupcake toppers are crazy easy to make and Parisian-ize cupcakes nicely.

you will need:*

cupcakes
frosting
pink frosting color
pastry bag
, coupler, and large circle tip (optional)
white rolled fondant

rolling pin
wax paper

1 1/2″ circle cutter
black gourmet writer

*I used a tinted buttercream frosting (see below for recipe). The pastry bag, coupler and tip are optional, but I used these to pipe the frosting on the cupcake. Find ready-made fondant at the craft store. You can find edible pens there, but I use Americolor gourmet writers. I also use Americolor soft gel pastes for coloring.

how to make Paris cuppies:

step one: make your cupcakes

Prepare cupcakes and ice with pink-tinted frosting. I used buttercream tinted with a few drops of Electric Pink soft gel paste. To make buttercream, blend 1/2 cup softened butter, a box of confectioner’s sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a few tablespoons milk (to desired thickness). I used a pastry bag fitted with a large tip, but you can also spread the frosting on the cupcake with a spatula.

step two: make your fondant circles
Briefly knead a piece of rolled fondant. (If the fondant gets too sticky at any time, simply let it sit out uncovered at room temperature for 15 minutes.) Roll fondant between two pieces of wax paper about 3/8″ thick. Cut out circles with cutter and let stiffen an hour or two.

step three: draw your designs
When stiffened, draw your Paris designs with the edible pen (see the end of this post for poodle and Eiffel Tower detail). Let ink dry before packaging circles in a sealed container to keep until you serve the cupcakes.

step four: assemble your cupcakes
Before serving, pop the circle on the cupcake. That’s it!

update!! So I can add these yummies to the “how to draw on food” collection over there on the right, I added some step-by-step how-tos:

la tour eiffel
1. draw a small vertical line and three rectangles
2. connect the top and middle rectangles and the middle and bottom rectangles with lines
3. make two more lines between the middle and bottom rectangles
4. make two “L”s on the bottom (one backwards)
5. make an almost-whole circle to connect the two “L”s
6. draw “X”s inside poodle
1. draw poof
2. draw another poof and two lines to make ear
3. draw face (a curved triangleish) with a dot for a nose
4. draw a line for the back
5. draw the hind leg (two loops)
6. draw a poof and two lines for the front leg
7. draw a poof and two lines for the tail
8. make a dot for the eye

1. Suburban Princess
    Posted January 6, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Adorable! I am going to demand these for my birthday party!

2. Sue Sparks
    Posted January 6, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

LOVE the new look of your blog, and LOVE the cupcakes!!!

3. cookies and cups
    Posted January 6, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

very cute!! love easy and cute toppers.

4. Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com}
    Posted January 7, 2010 at 12:08 am | Permalink

They are so cute, Paris must be in the air, I made Paris themed cookies in Nov. http://createdbydiane.blogspot.com/2009/11/paris-cookies.html
    I will have to try it with fondant, just used it for the first time the other day, and wrote on it :)

5. Jeanette
    Posted January 7, 2010 at 1:35 am | Permalink

What a cute cupcake! Love the look of them. You always make things look so easy. Thank you for sharing.

Posted January 7, 2010 at 3:36 am | Permalink

Thanks for your fabulous comments! Oh my gosh, Diane, we are two great minds thinking alike, I believe, right down to the Eiffel Tower, poodle, and pink icing cakes. I almost also did baguettes and berets (back in my cookie store days, those 4 things were uber popular for french cookie bouquets) Yours are super cute (note to readers, you should check out Diane's site above). Fondant and edible pens are my two best friends after cookies!

7. Bethie
    Posted January 7, 2010 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Cutest things ever!

8. bridget {bake at 350}
    Posted January 9, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Wow…those are just darling!

9. nadege
    Posted January 10, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Hi ! I've also made somethings like this, after the show dance of my little girl, in june, because the theme was "the parisian dream". Do you want to see ?

…just one last thing, we live in France ;-)

Posted January 10, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

SO beautiful nadege!

11. Anonymous
    Posted March 16, 2010 at 2:03 am | Permalink

I hope you dont mind me stealing your idea, but I just absolutely love these! Great job.