"pretzel" cookies…for the Super Bowl?

I tend to put question marks after things I don’t understand. Like football events. My only real connection to the Super Bowl is via my football-watching husband or via cookies (historically, I’ve always known what teams are playing based on hundreds of helmet, player and cheerleader cookie orders at the store). But I do know snacks are served at Super Bowl parties, so here is part one of my two part snacks series: pretzels.

how to make pretzel cookies

you will need:*
dough
icing
mini pretzel cutter (actually a linzer cutter)
food coloring (brown)
white sprinkles
disposable frosting bag
coupler
decorating tip (size “5″)
rubber band

*Find sprinkles, bags, couplers, and tips at any craft store. Use a chunkier sprinkle, I used Wilton’s White “sparkling sugar.” You can find concentrated paste food coloring at the craft store, though I use Americolor soft gel pastes, Chocolate Brown (click on link for tips on where to buy). I found the mini pretzel cutter at Sur la Table. It’s a linzer cookie cutter, but it worked great for rolled dough.

step one: bake your cookies
Prepare dough and chill according to recipe. Roll out about 1/4-inch thick. Use the linzer cutter to cut out pretzel shapes. Bake according to recipe and let cool.

step two: prepare your frosting
Prepare frosting according to recipe and mix about a cup (depending on how many cookies you make) of it brown. Prepare a frosting bag with size “5″ tip, fill with brown frosting and tie closed with a rubber band.

step three: decorate the pretzels
Pipe frosting on the pretzel with the brown frosting fitted with a “5″ tip. No drawing necessary! Just fill the shape of the cookie. Immediately sprinkle with white sprinkles. (Work with one cookie at a time so the sprinkles stick to the wet frosting.)

1. Zakia / The Frosted Bake Shop
    Posted January 28, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

these are soooo cute. i may have to try these!

2. Sue Sparks
    Posted January 28, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

These are the cutest cookie! So clever!!! Love it!

3. Suburban Princess
    Posted January 28, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

I love these! So cute!

4. Mini Baker
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 3:11 am | Permalink

SO CUTE!!!

5. cookies and cups
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

How cute and fairly easy! That is a great idea, now I'll just have to find one of those cutters!

6. Brittany
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

I love these!

Posted January 29, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Praise from all these talented bakers out there is making my ego explode :) (PS, if you search for linzer cookie cutters, should be easy to find…definitely at amazon, or sur la table, maybe williams sonoma, too)

8. Stefania
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

What a fantastic and inspiring blog. Love it!

I noticed that you've made a few vegan treats. Just wondering if there are any vegan recipes in your book. If not, if your recipes will be ok with substitutions.

Posted January 30, 2010 at 12:41 am | Permalink

Thanks Stefania! Vegan substitutes might work with my recipes (there are none in the book), but I haven't tried it yet. You can decorate with the vegan "butter"cream on my cupcake post, though the consistency will be a bit different. My royal icing is made with meringue powder. But that's a good idea…I'll try that in the coming weeks and let you know! (Also, wanting to get "Vegan Cookies Take Over the World", though not sure if the book contains recipes for rolled dough or just drop doughs.)

10. Stefania
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Hi, Thanks for responding. I typically will substitute ingredients but if it's more than one or two it starts to get dicey.

I don't have that cookbook but I have read wonderful praise for the book. So I don't know what kind of recipes it contains, however, the authors are very outgoing and I wouldn't be surprised if they responded to query.

11. Rachel@oneprettything.com
    Posted February 3, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

I'm loving your Super Bowl ideas, they're so much fun! Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

12. kermiefrg
    Posted February 6, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

These are so cute! What a cool idea!

13. Ruth White
    Posted January 1, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

I love the pretzels! I'll have to try making them for the Super Bowl. I have your cookie book and love it! Truly inspiring!