s’mores pops…but not my idea!

Ever since my Mr. Melty Snowman cookie has been copied all over the place (specifically Cake Central and flickr), and most often without a nod to my invention (here) and in several cases, even claimed by others as their own, I’ve been more paranoid and vigilant about giving credit where credit is due.

I’ve seen these yummy s’mores pops everywhere (specifically, here, here, and most notably, here at gimme some oven). I even posted on the latter, gorgeous s’mores pops on my edible crafts column here. Gimme some oven is one of my fave blogs…fabulous treats and photography, so I encourage all to visit.

how I made s’mores pops (after seeing them elsewhere, did I mention that?)

you will need:
marshmallows
skewers

chocolate (I used milk chocolate chips)
graham crackers

ziploc bag

rolling pin

metal bowl and saucepan
or double boiler
wax paper
baking tray

what to do:
Skewer marshmallows and set on baking tray lined with wax paper. Place a few graham crackers (I think I used about five, but add more as needed) in a large Ziploc bag and crush with rolling pin. Pour in a dish (and replace with more as needed). Melt chocolate chips in the metal bowl set over a saucepan with simmering water (do not let the simmering water touch the bottom of the metal bowl) or, melt chips in a double boiler. Holding skewer, dip marshmallow in chocolate to coat. Immediately hold over dish of graham crackers and spoon the graham cracker crumbs over the marshmallow to coat. Place on baking tray (one side will be a little flat because of this, but I didn’t mind.) When you have finished with all the marshmallows, place in the fridge to harden a couple hours.

note to make more kid friendly:
If kids will be eating these, you may want to replace the skewers with a lollipop stick. This can be done any time, even after the pops are ready to eat. (The sharp end of the skewer is useful for piercing the marshmallow nicely, but has ouch potential.)

1. An Almost Unschooling Mom
    Posted January 12, 2010 at 4:04 am | Permalink

We made these around Christmas time, but with chopped nuts instead of graham crackers, which is also very yummy. I didn't credit anyone, because I thought I was being original :)

I love the snowman cookies! And, it's nice to know who to credit if we ever make them – it can get confusing sometimes.

2. Kim
    Posted January 12, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

YUM!! I made s'mores cupcakes a few months ago so this would be a nice change! It is hard sometimes to find the original person… but I posted your melted snowman cookie and gave you credit – terrible that people don't!! It was brilliant!

Kim

3. Amy O'Kane
    Posted January 12, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

these look like so much fun! i'd love to try these with my boys. thanks for sharing it.

4. Kate
    Posted January 12, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

These look great! I'm a stickler for giving others credit too. I still get annoyed when I think of your amazing melting snowman. How anyone had the nerve to act like something that original and amazing was their own and enter it in a contest is beyond me!

5. ali @ gimmesomeoven
    Posted January 12, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

FUN!!! So glad that you enjoyed these! :)

6. Katypie
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 12:27 am | Permalink

For Halloween and Christmas I made a variation of these with holiday sprinkles instead of graham crackers. Both times my boyfriend told me I needed to do some with graham crackers next time. Glad to see someone's tried it – I'll have to next! :0)

7. Anonymous
    Posted January 19, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

We made something very similar for Christmas, too. After I slightly burned the gelatin and sugar while melting it my marshmallows came out with a nifty toasted marshmallow flavor. Serendipity! So we coated them in chocolate and rolled them in graham cracker crumbs. They were pretty good, although the toasty taste dissipated after a couple of days.

8. Alycia [Fit n Fresh]
    Posted September 5, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

LOVE this! So freakin cute!!

9. brett
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

WOW! Love these! Will need to be making these soon! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Brett
    charmedlifediva.blogspot.com

10. Susan P
    Posted December 11, 2011 at 3:06 am | Permalink

Well, whether or not you originated this idea, it is a good one and thank you for sharing it. Very cute! I like goodies like this that don't require a lot of baking or prep work. I'll bet my daughter and her roommates could eat these almost as fast as we could make them! I'll grab some marshmallows at the store tomorrow and give them a try.
    Susan P