mini witch leg cookies (as in, Wizard of Oz) (as in, my fourth challenge)

News on the Foodbuzz Project Food Blogfront: My kid’s cookie decorating dinner party got me through to round 4! Though I’m not sure how many more rounds I’ll survive. The competition is pretty dang impressive. But another huge and hearty THANK YOU! to all who voted for me. The next challenge: use photography to create a step by step, instructional photo tutorial.

As my daughter has been obsessively watching Wizard of Oz of late, and as it seems appropriate for Halloween, I thought of the witch’s legs after Dorothy smushes the wicked witch with her house in Munchkinland (accidentally, of course). So I made tiny little bite-size cookie stackswithsparkly ruby slippers.Step-by-step instructional tutorials are, as many of you know, a crucial component of this blog. But, I usually rely on my little drawings. So, this is a bit of new territory. Buthere goes. A photo tutorial…
how to make witch leg cookies
step one: bake your cookies
step two: prepare your frosting bag

step three: stack your cookies
step four: make your ruby slippers

step five: assemble your witch legs

1. Debbie
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

You are too darn cute! I love the picture with her legs sticking out of the house, your daughter sure is a lucky girl!

2. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

How fun are those!!! What an incredibly creative idea, I love it! Your instructions were so clear and very easy to follow. Fantastic job! Best of luck.

3. Cat J B
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 12:13 am | Permalink

Oh my goodness, that is so very cool! Perfect instructions too, just right.

4. Jenn @ BentoForKidlet
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 12:32 am | Permalink

Adorable!! What a fun tutorial :D

5. Megan
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 1:14 am | Permalink

Wow! This tutorial is amazing! And the cookies are so cute. Thanks for the wonderful inspiration!

6. GreenGirl
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 2:39 am | Permalink

OMg, these tinny legs are perfect, I was looking for some ideas for my Baby's next month birthday and these one are definitely a must, thanks for sharing

7. SUNFLOWERS8
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 7:40 am | Permalink

Davvero un'idea molto simpatica, cercherò di rifarle per mia figlia ^_^ come sempre grazie per condividere con noi tutte queste meraviglie!
    A presto
    Sonia

8. shaz
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Congrats on getting to round 4, these are just gorgeous. Will definitely be voting when I get a chance :)

9. Lora
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

These made me laugh out loud. Adorable and so brilliant!

Posted October 9, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

THIS is one of the CUTEST, most creative treats I've EVER seen! You have always posted great tutorials and this is no exception! Way to go, Meaghan!

11. Jen
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Very cute and congrats on making it to the next round.

12. CrystalsCozyKitchen
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Such a cute idea! Congrats on making it to Challenge 4.

13. The Party Animal
    Posted October 10, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Those are so darn cute – love love love

14. TheChocolatePriestess
    Posted October 10, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

I really like your step by step directions with the photos. I think that is very helpful and one thing that the Internet can do better than a traditional cookbook. That many photos would make a book crazy expensive.

15. Amanda
    Posted October 10, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

OMG Meaghan this are fabulous! I LOVE them!

16. Mariko
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 2:46 am | Permalink

Cute cute CUTE! And just in time for Halloween.

17. J+S
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 2:48 am | Permalink

MEAGHAN! I AM TYPING THIS IN ALL CAPS SO YOU WILL KNOW THAT I HAVE BEEN SQUEALING WITH DELIGHT FOR ABOUT TEN MINUTES OVER THESE. I LOVE. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. I HAVE TO REPOST ON MY BLOG AND CREDIT BACK TO YOU (OF COURSE). TOMORROW. YOU ARE MY COOKIE HEROINE.

~JENIFER

18. sophia
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Hee hee! This is so befitting. It's definitely something unusual, one which I cannot get from other blogs or cookbooks!

Posted October 11, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Best commenters ever! Love the all caps, too!

20. J+S
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

P.S. I voted for you!

~Jenifer

21. Heather
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

This is so flippin' adorable!!

22. Gastronomicduo
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

That is so super funny. We love it!

23. Amy (Sing For Your Supper)
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

What a fantastic idea! And SO cute!!!

24. Lisa Orgler
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Oh my! This is so darn cute!! Great photos and fun project!

25. oneordinaryday
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Oh my gosh, these are adorable!!!

26. Megan
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Love it just love it! Whooo hoo! I will get you my pretty! Can't wait to show my kids!

27. Jeanne
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

These are super cute! Brilliant idea, and beautifully illustrated photos. You definitely have a vote from me!

28. Jacob's Kitchen
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

A-dorable! And the tutorial is clear and easy to follow. nicely done. I will definitely be making these this Halloween! Thanks for sharing! I voted for you!

good luck! Hope to see us both in round 5 !!!

29. Beth
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Your post really stood out among the other contestants with this one! I love the tutorial, and especially the subject matter! Great photography, too. Thanks for brightening our day with this one!

30. Stay-At-Home-Chef
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 1:52 am | Permalink

Loved your post…super cute idea! Great instructional step-by-step photos as well. Good luck and hope to join you in the next round!

31. Cate
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 2:08 am | Permalink

This is such a cute and creative idea! Love it!

32. We Are Not Martha
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 3:43 am | Permalink

This is absolutely adorable and so perfect for Halloween! Also, it's the kind of thing I'd NEVER attempt if it only featured one final photo. But since you explain it step-by-step, it makes it feel much more obtainable. Good luck!! :)

Sues

33. Tiny Urban Kitchen
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 4:39 am | Permalink

Ha ha, these are so cute!

34. Ela
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 7:07 am | Permalink

very creative! you really did teach us with pictures…

35. Food Lover
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 8:28 am | Permalink

I really loved your recipe and photos :)
    wish you good luck

36. Lisa
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

ha!! I love those legs! So different, and SO creative!

37. megan @ whatmegansmaking
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

ok these are absolutely adorable! You've got my vote :)

38. Boquete Gourmet
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Very creative and your illustrations are top-notch! You got my vote, good luck, you deserve the prize!

39. Boquete Gourmet
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

40. Whitney
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

if only all moms were as creative as you! awesome job!!

41. Daily Spud
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

Those witch legs are just the cutest things ever! I'm rushing over to vote before I'm crushed by any falling houses :D

42. notyet100
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 12:55 am | Permalink

so cute…good luck for the next challenge

Posted October 13, 2010 at 1:26 am | Permalink

Oh shucks, this outpouring is so wonderful! Thank you all for your kind comments (and votes)! Bestest readers ever.

44. Lorraine
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 2:21 am | Permalink

What a fabulous idea! So creative. I also love your house! I have been voting for you and hope you win! Congratulations on making this round also.

45. eataduckimust
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 3:30 am | Permalink

this is way too cute. voting for you!

46. bridget {bake at 350}
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Great tutorial! These are SO SO cute!

I swear, I can't keep up with you….you are a blogging, baking machine!

47. Nads' Bakery
    Posted October 14, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Oh my gosh, that's hilarious!! My boss had something like that he put under his couch! But made of stuffed legs, of course. Too cute.

48. Butter
    Posted October 14, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Genius – And "this is new territory"…you would never know – my goodness. This was so creative with every component of the challenge. I am voting because this is truly Picture PERFECT!
    - Butter
    (from Running On Butter)

49. Reeni
    Posted October 14, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

These are so clever! And so unique. I love them! And you gave us a great tutorial too. Best of luck in this round!

50. I run for cake!
    Posted October 15, 2010 at 12:11 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh, your creativity never ends! These are absolutely adorable! I'm so excited to see you are still in the competition and I think you can go all the way, each week your entries are amazing!

51. momgateway
    Posted October 15, 2010 at 4:32 am | Permalink

Cutest tutorial I've seen!

52. <br>Jo Lynne @ <br> Carpe Cupcakes!
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

I didn't make it past the first round, but you have had my vote in the contest every time. I have a master's degree in instructional design and you hit a home run with your tutorial. LOVE the ruby slippers!

53. <br>Jo Lynne @ <br> Carpe Cupcakes!
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

54. <br>Jo Lynne @ <br> Carpe Cupcakes!
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

55. <br>Jo Lynne @ <br> Carpe Cupcakes!
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

56. Anonymous
    Posted October 19, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Meaghan,
    Clever as ever! Kuddos to you – adorable!

57. SHORTBREAD NYC
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

this is amazing!

58. Posted May 11, 2012 at 1:11 am | Permalink

I love how you managed to recreate the whole scene! Really cute!

I just made some Wizard of Oz cookies too and just wanted to share. I’d love if you check them out :)

Posted May 11, 2012 at 7:43 am | Permalink

LOVE the Wizard of Oz! LOVE your cookies! (I once played Glinda in a church play, so glad you got her in there, too!)