pizza pops and a calzone bonus (my 5th Project Food Blog challenge)

{UPDATE: You can vote for these HERE.}

For the fourth time, a huge thank you to all who voted for my cookie witch legs for the Project Food Blog contest! I made it through to another round!! Thanks for sticking by me this far. And speaking of sticks…That’s how I interpreted the 5th challenge: put my own spin on pizza. I don’t often openly toot my own horn very loudly, but these mini pizzas on a stick…. Oh. My. Goodness. Awesome. My plan worked perfectly (it never does), they tasted absolutely delicious, and they were ridiculously easy to make. So toot.

How did my pizza pops come to be? Anyone who reads this blog or my other gig knows that I love tiny versions of things and I especially love tiny versions of things on lollipop sticks. So when I saw this challenge, I knew precisely what I would do. Then I remembered that I’ve already seen pizza-on-a-stick. And that I already blabbed about it here. Dang. Not an original idea. But I hope to at least claim a tiny bit of credit for this method. Though I suppose dough, sauce and toppings, in that order, is hardly an original idea for pizza either. Hmmm. Perhaps we should just get on with things.

how to make pizza pops

you will need*
roll of refrigerated pizza crust

lollipop sticks
2 1/2 inch circle cookie cutter
assorted toppings
baking tray
parchment paper

*I used the Pillsbury refrigerated pizza dough, Classic, not Thin Crust. Find lollipop sticks and circle cookie cutters in the baking aisle of the craft store. I chose these assorted toppings:tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, basil, arugula, goat cheese, ricotta cheese, cherry tomatoes, and fresh spinach.

what to do
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Unroll pizza dough on a floured surface. Cut out 2 1/2 inch circles (this may need some muscle to get the cutter through the made-to-stretch dough, just twist the cutter back and forth a bit). Insert lollipop stick about half way into the circle and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Add a teaspoon or so of sauce (if using) and tiny bits of desired toppings. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until crust and toppings begin to brown.

some ideas for toppings
In case you need a little inspiration:

´╗┐bonus calzones!
Look what else I made… calzones! Because these are more dough than toppings, they were a bit too bready for my taste, but they were still pretty dang good.
To make calzones, roll the dough a bit thinner, cut out a larger circle (a 3 inch cutter), put your toppings on the center of the circle (because the toppings can ooze out the side, best to be more sparing with these), lay a lollipop stick on the circle, fold the dough over and pinch the edges with a fork. Bake at 425 for about ten to twelve minutes.

1. Paula
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 12:44 am | Permalink

Oh, how original and creative! They look so appetizing and I bet you can't eat just one. Good luck with the challenge!

2. sugarswings
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 12:51 am | Permalink

these are awesome! Going to go vote for you now :)

Posted October 16, 2010 at 12:57 am | Permalink

Thank you! sugarswings, voting starts monday! I'm pretty sure I'll harrass everyone again. Paula, I ate All. Of. Them. All. I couldn't believe how good they were, something about the mini size I think.

4. steph
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 3:01 am | Permalink

LOVE the calzone pops!!!!

5. Glory
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 4:34 am | Permalink

What timing! My 5 year old just rediscovered Pizza tonight at a birthday party. I'm SO going to make these!

6. shaz
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 5:33 am | Permalink

Toot! Toot! or should I say Woot! Well done on making it to round 5, fabulous job. Hooray. And love the pizzas on a stick.

7. notyet100
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 6:19 am | Permalink

so cute,…good luck for the next challenge

8. Chaotic pOsha
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 7:27 am | Permalink

So creative as always :) keep up the good job ur so talented!

9. justJENN
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Love this!

10. dining tables
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 8:19 am | Permalink

This is a very creative treat. I smiled when I saw it. It is really nice.

11. Sommer J
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 9:30 am | Permalink

GENIUS! Totally making these!!! so easy!

12. Lora
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Just adorable. Love them. good luck!

13. Sam
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

These are super cute – but WOW – that's alot of work for something that would be gone in less then a second!

14. Mommyof2girlz
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Those are amazing, you have some wicked awesome creativity!!

15. Beth
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

My kids are going to love making these! Julia says that she wants to serve them for her 5th Birthday party next month. Fun!

Posted October 16, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Julia's FIVE already? Oh my time flies. If any of you make any, I'd love to hear the results!

17. Lorraine
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

Genius idea. I am absolutely going to make these for my son's 2nd birthday party. I am sure you will make it through the 5th round with this idea. Good luck again.

18. bridget {bake at 350}
    Posted October 17, 2010 at 1:20 am | Permalink

These are SO fun!!! I tried something similar last year and FAILED miserably! YOU are so smart!

PS…congrats on the Project Food Blog!

19. J+S
    Posted October 17, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Again, so amazing! I'm posting these on my food blog this next week. Good luck on this challenge. You know I'm rooting for you. :)

~Jenifer

20. Debbie
    Posted October 17, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

I was really excited to see what came out for the 5th part of the competition, since I LOVE pizza. This is so creative and it is totally YOU! You are too cute, good luck!

21. Mindy
    Posted October 17, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

This is a very cute spin on pizza. Having just discovered your blog, I looked through it and am really impressed with your skill and creativity- definitely could have used you during the September Daring Bakers challenge of decorating sugar cookies. Luckily I found you just in time for Hallowe'en:p

22. Carolyn
    Posted October 17, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Such a fun twist on pizza! I'm always so focused on the sweets so I love seeing some savory treats =)

23. Lisa Orgler
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 12:53 am | Permalink

Are you kidding me?!! These are the cutest things ever!! You are way to much fun. Great (and very unique) idea!

24. Hi-D the Dweeb
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 2:56 am | Permalink

I love, love, love this idea and am going to do it for the next football gathering at my home! What a fabulous idea!

25. RhodeyGirl
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

LOVE!

Do you think you could insert the sticks after baking with the same result? I imagine a lot more pizza rounds would fit on a baking sheet that way. I would LOVE to make these for a party sometime!

26. Heather
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

If you hadn't said anything, I would've assumed that you were the first person to put a pizza on a lollipop stick. :) I think these are wonderful!!

27. Food Lover
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

WOW, this dish is so yummy looking, I don't think it took time ever, ready dough, ready topping, just to the oven :D
    Thanks for this brilliant idea of making it pizza pops.

28. Jenny
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

This is an awesome idea! : ) good luck!

29. Sippity Sup
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

These are nothing short of adorable. I bet kids would go crazy for them. GREG

Posted October 18, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

You guys are the awesomest! Thank you! Mindy, I saw the cookie challenge! Always wish I had joined the DAring Bakers… RhodeyGirl, you probably can, but more risk to mess up the toppings and less stable since they aren't baked on (the stick will easily slide back out that way) You do lose tray space, you are right, but if you arrange alternately stacked so the sticks go between two pops, you can squeeze a bit more on.

31. Amelia PS
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

absolutely adorable and well presented!
    These were actually one of the ideas I discussed with my children before I went my way.

32. I'm a full-time mummy
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Wow! What a masterpiece! I voted for you! Good luck!

33. Jacob's Kitchen
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Greta post! These are adorable! Great job. I like how you made it your own and kept true to the spirit of your blog. Nicely done. I voted for you!

Good luck! Hope to see us both in round 6!!! =)

34. Sara
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Fantastic idea! These are super adorable and they look really delicious. :)

35. Lori Lynn
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

What a cute idea! Very creative! Good luck!
    LL

36. ~Lisa~
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Love this idea! Very inventive. Voting!

37. Jeanne
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

These are super creative! I love your choice of toppings, too. You have a vote from me!

38. Kim
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Voted today!! They look awesome! Will be making for Faith and Joey this week. Miss you!

Posted October 18, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Meaghan, Your mini pizza pops are so cute! The calzone is adorable too! I wouldn't expect anything less from you:)

40. We Are Not Martha
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

These are absolutely adorable! I would love to make these for a party and see people go just crazy over them :) Good luck!! :)

Sues

41. Amykinz
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

If you haven't already, you should submit these to your state fair. You can make a lot of money!

42. Julie @ Willow Bird Baking
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

LOVE THEM!! You have a vote from me!!

43. Get Natured
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

What a creative idea! Great job!

44. Tiny Urban Kitchen
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Cute! And I love your little drawings. :)

45. Stephanie
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

I also love small individual desserts and things on sticks! These are great and sound so simple to make. I love it when cooking ideas pan out (they often don't for me either). Good luck in round 5, I just gave you a vote!

46. Paper and Food
    Posted October 19, 2010 at 12:34 am | Permalink

Hooray! Now I can eat pizza easily while driving down the road. Cool!

47. Kristen @ Miss Prissy Paige
    Posted October 19, 2010 at 1:17 am | Permalink

I love these! Too cute! I voted – good luck, I love seeing your ideas!

48. Ela
    Posted October 19, 2010 at 2:30 am | Permalink

pizza pops for kids and calzone pops for the kids at heart!

49. Winnie
    Posted October 19, 2010 at 3:07 am | Permalink

Totally adorable! I love your take on this challenge ;)

50. Mariko
    Posted October 19, 2010 at 6:02 am | Permalink

Calzones! You are crazy. And I love it.

51. naomi
    Posted October 19, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

First off congrats!!

These are adorably cute and creative!

52. michele
    Posted October 19, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Love it! Well done!

53. eataduckimust
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 3:29 am | Permalink

this is way too cute, i know what to do for my nephew's 3rd birthday party now! thanks for this great post!

54. Peggy
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 10:14 am | Permalink

These remind me of the little Bagel Bites my parents made us eat as children! Although these aren't bagels, I'm sure they're extremely more tasty than anything found in the frozen food section! Good luck in this challenge and you've got my vote!

55. Daydreamer Desserts
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

That is the cutest interpretation of pizza I have ever seen, very clever. :)

56. Angela
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

AMAZING!!!!

57. danasfoodforthought
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

These are ridiculously cute! Great job!

58. Jenn Erickson
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

What an incredibly original, creative, and unique "spin" on pizza! I can totally see incorporating this into one of my girl's birthday parties! Fabulous! So glad we were both featured in One Pretty Thing's crafty food roundup!

59. Oui, Chef
    Posted October 21, 2010 at 12:34 am | Permalink

Very clever and original, and I bet they taste great too. A vote from me! – S

60. Reeni
    Posted October 21, 2010 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Such cute cookie pops! And the calzones are charming! Best of luck!

61. Food, she thought.
    Posted October 21, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

love love love love the calzone

62. I run for cake!
    Posted October 22, 2010 at 3:04 am | Permalink

So creative, these look so tasty! Congrats on making it to the 5th challenge!

63. daphne
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 1:51 am | Permalink

Your pizzas look beautiful, so inviting. Very unique because on stick! YUM YUM=)

64. Sara
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Fantastic idea.. my son's birthday is coming up next month so I'm going to make several hundred of these…

65. sassy_stonehill
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Ahh those calzones are adorable!

66. faemaochasiubao
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

OMG! What a great party hors d'oeuvre idea! :-D

67. Mahala
    Posted October 27, 2010 at 12:37 am | Permalink

Mmmm looks like I'm going to have to go grocery shopping tomorrow to try this out!

68. boliyou
    Posted October 27, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Awesome! I'm going to have to try these at home. What a cute and fun idea.

69. Johnna
    Posted November 4, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

These are too cute! Thanks for sharing…I think I will try mines with jerk chicken and mozzarella.

70. Dana
    Posted December 31, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Very creative and my son loved the look of it..Promises that he will try it himself

71. Posted February 22, 2012 at 1:03 am | Permalink

Found you from Woman’s World!

I love this idea. I’m thinking the calzones would work better with thin crust.
    these would be great for a party – give everyone 3-5 to make for themselves.

Posted February 22, 2012 at 1:45 am | Permalink

You’re definitely right about the thin crust! The thin didn’t work for the others because the stick wouldn’t fit, but with the calzones, it’s folded over anyway, so the thin crust would’ve been SO much better. And less messy :). My friend did this for a party (but for kids), and let the kids make their own. Worked like a charm!

73. Posted February 12, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

These were too cute, and so easy!! My kids loved these. I made them using heart-shaped cutters for a special Valentine’s week treat, and featured them on my blog today. Thanks for the cute idea!!