pizza pops and a calzone bonus (my 5th Project Food Blog challenge)

{UPDATE: You can vote for these HERE.}

For the fourth time, a huge thank you to all who voted for my cookie witch legs for the Project Food Blog contest! I made it through to another round!! Thanks for sticking by me this far. And speaking of sticks…That’s how I interpreted the 5th challenge: put my own spin on pizza. I don’t often openly toot my own horn very loudly, but these mini pizzas on a stick…. Oh. My. Goodness. Awesome. My plan worked perfectly (it never does), they tasted absolutely delicious, and they were ridiculously easy to make. So toot.

How did my pizza pops come to be? Anyone who reads this blog or my other gig knows that I love tiny versions of things and I especially love tiny versions of things on lollipop sticks. So when I saw this challenge, I knew precisely what I would do. Then I remembered that I’ve already seen pizza-on-a-stick. And that I already blabbed about it here. Dang. Not an original idea. But I hope to at least claim a tiny bit of credit for this method. Though I suppose dough, sauce and toppings, in that order, is hardly an original idea for pizza either. Hmmm. Perhaps we should just get on with things.

how to make pizza pops

you will need*
roll of refrigerated pizza crust

lollipop sticks
2 1/2 inch circle cookie cutter
assorted toppings
baking tray
parchment paper

*I used the Pillsbury refrigerated pizza dough, Classic, not Thin Crust. Find lollipop sticks and circle cookie cutters in the baking aisle of the craft store. I chose these assorted toppings:tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, basil, arugula, goat cheese, ricotta cheese, cherry tomatoes, and fresh spinach.

what to do
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Unroll pizza dough on a floured surface. Cut out 2 1/2 inch circles (this may need some muscle to get the cutter through the made-to-stretch dough, just twist the cutter back and forth a bit). Insert lollipop stick about half way into the circle and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Add a teaspoon or so of sauce (if using) and tiny bits of desired toppings. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until crust and toppings begin to brown.

some ideas for toppings
In case you need a little inspiration:

bonus calzones!
Look what else I made… calzones! Because these are more dough than toppings, they were a bit too bready for my taste, but they were still pretty dang good.
To make calzones, roll the dough a bit thinner, cut out a larger circle (a 3 inch cutter), put your toppings on the center of the circle (because the toppings can ooze out the side, best to be more sparing with these), lay a lollipop stick on the circle, fold the dough over and pinch the edges with a fork. Bake at 425 for about ten to twelve minutes.

Comments

1. Paula says

Oh, how original and creative! They look so appetizing and I bet you can't eat just one. Good luck with the challenge!

2. Chic Cookies says

Thank you! sugarswings, voting starts monday! I'm pretty sure I'll harrass everyone again. Paula, I ate All. Of. Them. All. I couldn't believe how good they were, something about the mini size I think.

3. shaz says

Toot! Toot! or should I say Woot! Well done on making it to round 5, fabulous job. Hooray. And love the pizzas on a stick.

4. Beth says

My kids are going to love making these! Julia says that she wants to serve them for her 5th Birthday party next month. Fun!

5. Lorraine says

Genius idea. I am absolutely going to make these for my son's 2nd birthday party. I am sure you will make it through the 5th round with this idea. Good luck again.

6. bridget {bake at 350} says

These are SO fun!!! I tried something similar last year and FAILED miserably! YOU are so smart!

PS…congrats on the Project Food Blog!

7. J+S says

Again, so amazing! I'm posting these on my food blog this next week. Good luck on this challenge. You know I'm rooting for you. :)

~Jenifer

8. Debbie says

I was really excited to see what came out for the 5th part of the competition, since I LOVE pizza. This is so creative and it is totally YOU! You are too cute, good luck!

9. Mindy says

This is a very cute spin on pizza. Having just discovered your blog, I looked through it and am really impressed with your skill and creativity- definitely could have used you during the September Daring Bakers challenge of decorating sugar cookies. Luckily I found you just in time for Hallowe'en:p

10. Lisa Orgler says

Are you kidding me?!! These are the cutest things ever!! You are way to much fun. Great (and very unique) idea!

11. RhodeyGirl says

LOVE!

Do you think you could insert the sticks after baking with the same result? I imagine a lot more pizza rounds would fit on a baking sheet that way. I would LOVE to make these for a party sometime!

12. Heather says

If you hadn't said anything, I would've assumed that you were the first person to put a pizza on a lollipop stick. :) I think these are wonderful!!

13. Food Lover says

WOW, this dish is so yummy looking, I don't think it took time ever, ready dough, ready topping, just to the oven ๐Ÿ˜€
    Thanks for this brilliant idea of making it pizza pops.

14. Chic Cookies says

You guys are the awesomest! Thank you! Mindy, I saw the cookie challenge! Always wish I had joined the DAring Bakers… RhodeyGirl, you probably can, but more risk to mess up the toppings and less stable since they aren't baked on (the stick will easily slide back out that way) You do lose tray space, you are right, but if you arrange alternately stacked so the sticks go between two pops, you can squeeze a bit more on.

15. Amelia PS says

absolutely adorable and well presented!
    These were actually one of the ideas I discussed with my children before I went my way.

16. Jacob's Kitchen says

Greta post! These are adorable! Great job. I like how you made it your own and kept true to the spirit of your blog. Nicely done. I voted for you!

Good luck! Hope to see us both in round 6!!! =)

17. We Are Not Martha says

These are absolutely adorable! I would love to make these for a party and see people go just crazy over them :) Good luck!! :)

Sues

18. Stephanie says

I also love small individual desserts and things on sticks! These are great and sound so simple to make. I love it when cooking ideas pan out (they often don't for me either). Good luck in round 5, I just gave you a vote!

19. eataduckimust says

this is way too cute, i know what to do for my nephew's 3rd birthday party now! thanks for this great post!

20. Peggy says

These remind me of the little Bagel Bites my parents made us eat as children! Although these aren't bagels, I'm sure they're extremely more tasty than anything found in the frozen food section! Good luck in this challenge and you've got my vote!

21. Jenn Erickson says

What an incredibly original, creative, and unique "spin" on pizza! I can totally see incorporating this into one of my girl's birthday parties! Fabulous! So glad we were both featured in One Pretty Thing's crafty food roundup!

22. says

Found you from Woman’s World!

I love this idea. I’m thinking the calzones would work better with thin crust.
    these would be great for a party – give everyone 3-5 to make for themselves.

• meaghanmountford says

You’re definitely right about the thin crust! The thin didn’t work for the others because the stick wouldn’t fit, but with the calzones, it’s folded over anyway, so the thin crust would’ve been SO much better. And less messy :). My friend did this for a party (but for kids), and let the kids make their own. Worked like a charm!

23. says

These were too cute, and so easy!! My kids loved these. I made them using heart-shaped cutters for a special Valentine’s week treat, and featured them on my blog today. Thanks for the cute idea!!

24. cl says

how far in advance can you make them? if i need them on a friday, can i make it on thursday & do i just take it out from the fridge and serve?

• meaghanmountford says

Hi cl. They are definitely best made and eaten the same day. You can take from the fridge, but may need to be heated up a bit. No different than, say, cold store-bought pizza. So you can heat up for a few seconds in the microwave, or on a skillet over medium-low heat, or even pop back in the oven for a couple minutes. But same day wins.