marshmallows on a string. Or, marshmallow tea? Or, dunking marshmallows in cocoa for Valentine’s Day.

I don’t know what to call these. Marshmallows on a string in the style of tea bags but for hot cocoa? Regardless, I found myself mighty clever for coming up with this idea. Might-y clever. I really was stunned by my brilliance. Until I remembered how this past weekend I put my keys on the roof of the car to get my kid in her seat. Then drove off. Then heard the keys slide off the car into traffic. Then searched in said traffic for three hours to no avail. (Seriously, where did they go?) Maybe “brilliant” is too strong a word.

OK, sure, you can say such a thing as a marshmallow on a string is pointless, since marshmallows dissolve in cocoa, unlike tea bags, thus you leaving you to pull up a lonely string stained with chocolate from your empty mug. But let’s not say such a thing and appreciate marshmallows on a string for the sake of marshmallows on a string, yes?

I thought of this idea after spotting and posting about these Valentine’s Day tea bags. And these. And since I’m all about cookies and marshmallows, not tea, I naturally ended up with marshmallow “tea bags.” They are extraordinarily easy to make. Extraordinarily.

you will need:*
marshmallows
baker’s twine
tapestry needle
shortening
scissors
red cardstock
stapler
edible writers (optional)
*Find cardstock and the needle at the craft store. You can find edible writers there, too, but I prefer Americolor Gourmet Writers or the FooDoodler fine-line ten pack. I found baker’s twine at Crate n’ Barrel, but you can also find twine in a variety of colors at Layer Cake Shop and Bake It Pretty.

what to do:

Take a piece of baker’s twine about 8 to 10 inches long. Thread the tapestry needle. Make a double or triple knot in one end of the twine and snip off the excess.

Grease the needle with shortening (I use Crisco).

Thread the twine through a marshmallow. Pull the marshmallow until the knot hits the base of the marshmallow (don’t pull too hard or you’ll pull the knot through the marshmallow). Pull the needle off the twine.

Cut out two hearts from the paper and glue, staple or tape at the end of the twine.

If desired, draw a message on the marshmallow with the edible writers. Dunk in hot cocoa (be warned, edible ink will run in funny ways when the marshmallow hits the cocoa) and discard string when marshmallow dissolves.

1. Amanda
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 12:19 am | Permalink

SO cute!!! Great job and great idea! *stumbled*

2. CraftCrave
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 1:33 am | Permalink

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cooking category today [20 Jan 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

3. lora
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 2:08 am | Permalink

These are so darn cute. Your tutorials rock!

Posted January 20, 2011 at 2:56 am | Permalink

I LOVE this idea, and I even have baker's twine! You ARE brilliant!

BTW, When my kids were young, I put them in their car seats, but forgot to take my backpack off the roof (which had my CAMERA in it) before I drove off! I went 1 1/2 miles to my home, turned around and retraced my tracks, but it was already gone!

5. Lauren @ Crave. Indulge. Satisfy.
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 3:05 am | Permalink

Adorable! The perfect compliment to a cup of cocoa!

6. Amy {The Idea Room}
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 5:10 am | Permalink

Oh my! These are just too stinking cute. I have to share this with my FB fans. Hope you don't mind!

7. Kelsey-N-Tim
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 5:15 am | Permalink

so cute! Sorry about ur keys though!

8. ♥peachkins♥
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 5:45 am | Permalink

very cute!

9. Jovana
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 5:49 am | Permalink

Fantastic!!

10. piccoLINA
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Great!!!!

11. Butter Hearts Sugar
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Such a cute idea, I think they look brilliant. Perfect with a hot coco. Im sorry you lost your keys.

12. SweetnLo
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Love these, and, as an English teacher, I love that you used the correct "you're." I can't tell you how many times I've seen that misspelled lately! I think these would make a great Valentine's gift with a cute mug, just to let you're honey know you're thinking of him or her.

13. Etta
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

:-) I love this marshmallow!!! <3

Posted January 20, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Thank you all! Love it Sweet n Lo, these would be perfect with that mug!

15. Anonymous
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

What a cute idea! I don't have edible pens, so I think I'll just write on the heart tag instead. Thanks for the idea!

Posted January 20, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Exactly, Anonymous, I thought about that, too. That's an even better idea since the edible ink runs in the cocoa anyway!!

17. Rowaida
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

This is amazingly cute! love it

18. Mandy Crandell
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Cocoa dippers! Yum! Way too cute!!!

19. Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

So you're pretty much brilliant and amazing. Thank you for sharing such great things with us!

20. alicia
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Those are so cute!

21. withpatience
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Adorable! I want to try these for Valentine's Day;-)

22. Leah
    Posted January 21, 2011 at 2:10 am | Permalink

I love them too, very sweet!

23. Missy
    Posted January 21, 2011 at 2:38 am | Permalink

Me and my boyfriend never do anything big for Valentines day. Not really my thing but I loveeeee this idea! Found his gift!

Missy

Posted January 21, 2011 at 2:49 am | Permalink

Actually Mindy, the big secret is, neither do my husband and I!! But I still have fun making this stuff. And my 3 year old never protests sweet things.

25. Eve
    Posted January 21, 2011 at 3:21 am | Permalink

Oh my goodness these are SO cute!!! Great idea :)

26. Penelope
    Posted January 21, 2011 at 6:01 am | Permalink

You've inspired me! I think this would work with a lump of chocolate strung on too for the complete hot chocolate 'teabag'. Or for my daughters classmates, mini marshmallows strung like a bracelet/necklace then drawn on! Pity my daughters don't like marshmallows :-(

27. Anonymous
    Posted January 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

nothing could be cuter than this. nothing.

28. Jess
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 4:37 am | Permalink

Uhm, I just smiled. Like, a lot. These are adorable, plus they're a lot tastier than those little rock-hard candies if you ask me. Plus, they're personal. This rocks my socks!
    Jess : )

29. Bernice
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

That is a cute idea, I like it!!!
    (Thanks for stopping by my blog, I loved seen you there)

30. Tiffany Yang
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 12:09 am | Permalink

Wow…you are so creative! I have never seen anything like that. how fun!

31. Amanda
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Just dropping by to let you know that I linked to this post in a round up today from the Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) You can see the feature here

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!

32. Patty
    Posted January 25, 2011 at 3:13 am | Permalink

What a cute idea! Thank you for the tutorial.

33. Jessica
    Posted January 25, 2011 at 3:17 am | Permalink

Love this idea! Quick question – I'd like to make these for my son's teachers and am wondering if you have any thoughts as far as how to package them?

34. Anonymous
    Posted January 30, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Cute idea. But they do look a little like tampons.

Posted January 30, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Hmmm, you're right. Very good point Anonymous! Also, ew.

36. Kim
    Posted February 6, 2011 at 3:51 am | Permalink

These are fabulous. I am going to feature them in an article I am writing for Everything Mom. I will copy any of your post, just use an image to entice and link directly to this post, so people can come over and read your brilliant tutorial. If you would prefer to not be featured, please let me know.

Posted February 6, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kim, no problem!! I'd be honored.

38. Posted February 12, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink

I love it !!!!
    I just made it !!!
    I’ll put photos on my website today !!!
    many many thanks !

39. Dawn
    Posted January 24, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

These are just adorable! …and yes, you are brilliant! : ) (I hope you found your keys!) I know this is actually from a couple years ago but I’m going to make these for my grandkids this year and they will love it just as much!! They are in another state and it’s so nice to find food that will package and mail easily. Thank you very much! (Now I’m going back to check out the rest of your site!)

Posted January 25, 2013 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Thank you Dawn!! So glad they will work for you! And sadly, 2 years later, I still haven’t found my keys :).

41. Lara Morais
    Posted January 25, 2013 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Such a cute idea! you are brilliant my friend. Very sorry about your keys, that happens. Keep posting please.