marshmallows on a string. Or, marshmallow tea? Or, dunking marshmallows in cocoa for Valentine’s Day.

I don’t know what to call these. Marshmallows on a string in the style of tea bags but for hot cocoa? Regardless, I found myself mighty clever for coming up with this idea. Might-y clever. I really was stunned by my brilliance. Until I remembered how this past weekend I put my keys on the roof of the car to get my kid in her seat. Then drove off. Then heard the keys slide off the car into traffic. Then searched in said traffic for three hours to no avail. (Seriously, where did they go?) Maybe “brilliant” is too strong a word.

OK, sure, you can say such a thing as a marshmallow on a string is pointless, since marshmallows dissolve in cocoa, unlike tea bags, thus you leaving you to pull up a lonely string stained with chocolate from your empty mug. But let’s not say such a thing and appreciate marshmallows on a string for the sake of marshmallows on a string, yes?

I thought of this idea after spotting and posting about these Valentine’s Day tea bags. And these. And since I’m all about cookies and marshmallows, not tea, I naturally ended up with marshmallow “tea bags.” They are extraordinarily easy to make. Extraordinarily.

you will need:*
marshmallows
baker’s twine
tapestry needle
shortening
scissors
red cardstock
stapler
edible writers (optional)
*Find cardstock and the needle at the craft store. You can find edible writers there, too, but I prefer Americolor Gourmet Writers or the FooDoodler fine-line ten pack. I found baker’s twine at Crate n’ Barrel, but you can also find twine in a variety of colors at Layer Cake Shop and Bake It Pretty.

what to do:

Take a piece of baker’s twine about 8 to 10 inches long. Thread the tapestry needle. Make a double or triple knot in one end of the twine and snip off the excess.

Grease the needle with shortening (I use Crisco).

Thread the twine through a marshmallow. Pull the marshmallow until the knot hits the base of the marshmallow (don’t pull too hard or you’ll pull the knot through the marshmallow). Pull the needle off the twine.

Cut out two hearts from the paper and glue, staple or tape at the end of the twine.

If desired, draw a message on the marshmallow with the edible writers. Dunk in hot cocoa (be warned, edible ink will run in funny ways when the marshmallow hits the cocoa) and discard string when marshmallow dissolves.

Comments

1. Sue says

I LOVE this idea, and I even have baker's twine! You ARE brilliant!

BTW, When my kids were young, I put them in their car seats, but forgot to take my backpack off the roof (which had my CAMERA in it) before I drove off! I went 1 1/2 miles to my home, turned around and retraced my tracks, but it was already gone!

2. Amy {The Idea Room} says

Oh my! These are just too stinking cute. I have to share this with my FB fans. Hope you don't mind!

3. Anonymous says

What a cute idea! I don't have edible pens, so I think I'll just write on the heart tag instead. Thanks for the idea!

4. Chic Cookies says

Exactly, Anonymous, I thought about that, too. That's an even better idea since the edible ink runs in the cocoa anyway!!

5. Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen says

So you're pretty much brilliant and amazing. Thank you for sharing such great things with us!

6. Chic Cookies says

Actually Mindy, the big secret is, neither do my husband and I!! But I still have fun making this stuff. And my 3 year old never protests sweet things.

7. Penelope says

You've inspired me! I think this would work with a lump of chocolate strung on too for the complete hot chocolate 'teabag'. Or for my daughters classmates, mini marshmallows strung like a bracelet/necklace then drawn on! Pity my daughters don't like marshmallows :-(

8. Jess says

Uhm, I just smiled. Like, a lot. These are adorable, plus they're a lot tastier than those little rock-hard candies if you ask me. Plus, they're personal. This rocks my socks!
    Jess : )

9. Jessica says

Love this idea! Quick question – I'd like to make these for my son's teachers and am wondering if you have any thoughts as far as how to package them?

10. Kim says

These are fabulous. I am going to feature them in an article I am writing for Everything Mom. I will copy any of your post, just use an image to entice and link directly to this post, so people can come over and read your brilliant tutorial. If you would prefer to not be featured, please let me know.

11. Dawn says

These are just adorable! …and yes, you are brilliant! : ) (I hope you found your keys!) I know this is actually from a couple years ago but I’m going to make these for my grandkids this year and they will love it just as much!! They are in another state and it’s so nice to find food that will package and mail easily. Thank you very much! (Now I’m going back to check out the rest of your site!)

• meaghanmountford says

Thank you Dawn!! So glad they will work for you! And sadly, 2 years later, I still haven’t found my keys :).

12. Lara Morais says

Such a cute idea! you are brilliant my friend. Very sorry about your keys, that happens. Keep posting please.

• meaghanmountford says

Thank you Teacher Pat! You’re welcome to provide a link to my blog and site! I just don’t allow any part of the blog post or instructions to be reprinted. :)