snowflake chocolate sandwich cookies

In my refusal to accept that little to no snow has visited Washington DC this year, I give you snowflake chocolate sandwich cookies. I made these sprinkly treats to bring to my dinner hosts (and former put-up-my-whole-family-in-their-house-for-four-months-while-we-look-for-a-house landlords). I found these pretty easy to make. Here’s what I did…

what you need:*
snowflake cookie cutter
white, pink and blue food coloring
3 frosting bags
3 couplers
3 decorating tips (two “2”s and one “5”)
rubber bands
sparkling sugar or fine sprinkles (white, blue and pink)
*I used a 3-inch snowflake cutter. For food coloring, I only use Americolor soft gel paste (Bright White, Electric Pink, and Sky Blue). Find bags, couplers, tips and sprinkles at the craft store. Blue and pink are optional, you may use the white sprinkles in lieu of those if you like. Click HERE for tips on finding supplies.

step one: bake your cookies
Follow the recipe for chocolate cookies. Roll out chilled dough, cut out two snowflakes per cookie, bake and let cool.

step two: prepare your frosting
Prepare frosting according to recipe and tint white, light blue and light pink. Prepare three frosting bags with tips and couplers, fill one with white using a size “5” tip, one with blue using a size “2” tip and one with pink using a size “2” tip.
step three: make your sandwich cookies
Pour white sprinkles into a shallow bowl. Working with one cookie at a time, pipe an outline on the back of a snowflake with the white frosting, then immediately pipe back and forth in a zig zag motion to completely fill the snowflake. Don’t worry about perfection. Top with another snowflake, right side up. Immediately roll the edges in the white sanding sprinkles.
step four: make your snowflakes
Pour blue and pink sprinkles into separate shallow bowls. Working with one cookie at a time, pipe a snowflake design on top with pink or blue. Hold the cookie on the sides and dip the top in blue, pink or white sprinkles. For tips on how to draw a snowflake, click HERE. Let cookies dry overnight.

1. Bridgette S.
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

these are adorable! would be such a fun project to do with my daughter!

2. Lora
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

These are just beautiful. I love the colors.

3. Kathy Martin
    Posted January 6, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Oh, can I have one? Please? Pretty please? With sugar on top? Oh, and some milk! ;)

4. Cakewhiz
    Posted January 7, 2011 at 12:04 am | Permalink

Very nice…i love the sparkly effect sugar gave these cookies!

5. Mini Baker
    Posted January 7, 2011 at 12:57 am | Permalink

so pretty! I love that added touch of sparkle the sprinkles give them!
    -mini baker

6. lilaloa
    Posted January 7, 2011 at 1:07 am | Permalink

Mixing cut-out cookies and sandwich cookies. That's brilliant. They look perfect for a dinner party!

7. Lauren @ Crave. Indulge. Satisfy.
    Posted January 7, 2011 at 1:08 am | Permalink

Beautiful cookies, love the chocolate dough and how they are sandwiched, YUM!

8. anna marie
    Posted January 7, 2011 at 3:33 am | Permalink

yum! i can't wait to make these.

i would gladly share our western pennsylvania snow with you. we've already had four flippin' feet!

xo.anna marie

9. Paula
    Posted January 7, 2011 at 4:09 am | Permalink

Such a pretty and delicious looking cookie.

10. Anonymous
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

I love your how to draw a snowflake and it's so easy to do on an already perfectly frosted cookie…but on the chocolate cookies one of your snowflake designs I love and don't know how to draw (I don't drawl very good) and would love it if you could give me a couple step by step directions. I am making these for our family business store for Christmas and want them to be presentable. Thank you, Shelby
    (info@mobilehomeguys.net)

11. Kassandra
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Your cookies look AMAZING!! But, your link on how to draw the snowflake doesn’t seem to you? Is there anyway that that can be fixed…?

Posted November 9, 2012 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Good eye, Kassandra, thanks so much for letting me know! I updated the link :)