Thanksgiving: chocolate wish bones

You can still partake in the “mine’s bigger than yours” wishbone tradition without taking a day to roast a turkey. And bonus, you can make a bunch of these, so more than two people can play. And extra bonus, they are made of chocolate.

Because I’m sure you’re curious as to my train of thought, I spotted these plates at West Elm and immediately thought “chocolate wishbone.” Isn’t that what you think when you see them? These are super duper easy to make. They take mere seconds. Minutes if you count the microwave time.

to make chocolate wish bones

you will need:*

bag of white candy melts
disposable decorating bag
scissors
baking tray
wax paper

*Use white chocolate chips or candy melts. Find candy melts and the disposable decorating bags in the craft store.

Pour some candy melts in a disposable decorating bag (about half full). Microwave the bag at 50 percent power for 90 seconds. Massage the candy melts and continue to microwave at 50 percent power for 30 second intervals until the candy is almost melted, then massage the bag to fully melt. Snip the tip off the bag and pipe wishbone shapes on the wax paper. Let set in the fridge a couple hours.

1. Naomi Davis
    Posted November 15, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

He-he-he. How many wish bones does a turkey have? Very clever. The word verification is 'couth'. Is it 'couth' to do the wish bone thing? Tee-hee.

2. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen}
    Posted November 15, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Oh love love love!!!!! Such an awesome idea!!!

3. the decorated cookie
    Posted November 15, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Definitely "un"couth!!

4. cathy@home
    Posted November 15, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Great idea

5. Beth @ Hungry Happenings
    Posted November 15, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Brilliant. Every year the four of us kids would fight over the wishbone. What a great was to give everyone in the family a chance to make a wish and even if you are the loser, you win, because you get to eat chocolate! Yum.

6. Trish - Sweetology101
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 4:47 am | Permalink

having sat for the past 10 hours in lectures and then just completed a 2 hour 120 question "take home" test I would like to break a bone or two if you catch my drift (instructors). This approach will keep me out of jail and my creative sweet tooth satisfied – muchas gracias -

7. cookies and cups
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

My kids would LOVE these! The fighting over the wishbone never ends at my house!

Posted November 17, 2011 at 2:06 am | Permalink

Hooray, no fighting over one wishbone! Love it, Meaghan!

9. Crazy Lady
    Posted November 17, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Fantastic idea! So fantastic I am about to make some for our Thanksgiving gathering on Saturday. :) Thanks for the great idea!

10. Crazy Lady
    Posted November 17, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Tip #1 Don't make these after you have decorated a bunch of cookies. Your hand can only take so much squeezing.
    Tip #2 The table is your friend. Use it to stabilize.
    Tip#3 Even if you mess them up, remember they are chocolate and you can eat the mistakes. :)

11. the decorated cookie
    Posted November 18, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

ha, good tips, Crazy Lady!! Yes, doesn't matter how it all comes out, it's chocolate. Maybe not "wishbone," more "giblet"? (Also, could be the bag opening too small or big? Or hand cramp from all the cookie decorating. Oh, I've been there.)

12. Paula
    Posted November 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness, these are adorable and bring back so many memories of growing up. My mom would always save the wishbones and when they were dry enough there was always a chorus of *I do, I do* between seven kids when she would ask, who wants to make a wish?

13. Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons.com
    Posted November 18, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

This is the best idea I noticed all week! Perfect for the kids and we had to share it… http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2011/11/fun-finds-friday_18.html

14. Cheryl @ Sew Can Do
    Posted November 18, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Genius – I've been a vegetarian for over 20yrs which means I NEVER get the wishbone opportunity. This year I will with this!!