partying with conversation heart bark

While I’m not exactly a bluebird-on-my-shoulder kinda gal, I have no ill will whatsoever about Valentine’s Day. We’re not big on celebrating in my house, but I promise, there is no bitterness involved in the smashing of conversation hearts necessary to make these. And I also realize, dear reader, that the smashing of conversation hearts makes it near impossible to read said conversation, save the few that escaped the wrath of the mallet. But I stand by my creation, because conversation hearts are so cheery and colorful (even ground to bits) and dress up white chocolate so nicely.

Plus I got this silicone heart ice cube tray from the dollar bin at Target and I wanted to make something with it.

Plus, I’m going to a party and I needed something to bring. A Valentine’s Day party. A virtual Valentine’s Day party at the Dollhouse Bake Shoppe blog. Isn’t it always so nice to be invited to parties? You can join me, if you like. If you’ve not yet stopped by the Dollhouse Bake Shoppe blog, you must scroll through page after page of Lindsay Ann’s cutest, cleverest treats. Case in point: all of these Valentine’s Day goodies.

how to make conversation heart bark

you will need:*

silicone ice cube tray (hearts if you can find one)
white chocolate chips or candy melts, any color
conversation hearts
Ziploc
hammer or mallet
disposable decorating bag
scissors

*I found the tray at Target. Find the candy melts at the craft store.

step one: crush your hearts
Oh, that sounds so sad. Place some conversation hearts in a Ziploc and smash with the hammer or mallet. Best to do this over a cutting board or dish towel so you don’t destroy the counter. Sprinkle a layer of crushed hearts on the bottom of each heart in the tray.

step two: melt your chocolate
Add some chocolate chips or candy melts to the disposable decorating bag. Fold over the top so they don’t fall out of the bag. Don’t fill the bag too much, use about 1/2 cup of chips or whatever fits comfortably in the bag. Microwave at 50 percent power for a minute and a half. Massage the chips and keep microwaving at 30, then 20 second intervals just until the chips are melted.

step three: add your chocolate
Snip the tip of the decorating bag and pipe the melted chocolate on top of the crushed hearts to fill the tray. Pick up both ends of the tray and gently stamp it flat on the counter to tamp down the chocolate. Let set well, a couple hours. Pop out of the tray and that’s it!

1. Blog is the New Black
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

SUCH a great idea here!

2. Jill FCS
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

GENIUS!!!

3. Bakingmomof4
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

What a cute idea but as I read that you had to break up the conversation hearts, suddenly I heard Neil Sedaka in my head singing, "Breaking Up is Hard to Do". LOL Oh, I just realized, I may have just aged myself with that song title. LOL This is a very cute idea though, may have to give it a try.

4. the decorated cookie
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Thank you! And BAkingmomof4, yes, yes, I know that song, too. (Ever watch the Night Court where Harry had that chimp or orangutan and he mimed "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" with a pencil? OK, now I'm really stretching. Man I'm old. And I know my '80s TV.

5. Rosa Rood
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Oh! Love these!
    Why we don't have a microwave… ;O)
    Have a nice Day!
    Maren

6. Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

so cute I wonder how fast that would go at a party? Looks like a winner:)

7. Pink Little Cake
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

oh.. you beat me to it. I also got them at target last week! yours turn out so cute.

8. the decorated cookie
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

I think everyone got those trays from the Target bin! I spotted another post somewhere else using them, too. Oh Target, you're so good to us. We didn't have a microwave for the longest time, too, Rosa! PS. you can melt on the stove, too, and just transfer to the bag…

9. Paula
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

These are too cute and I'm sure they will strike up many a conversation at the party!

10. Kelli @ RTSM
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

These are so cute…even if you did have to break a few hearts to make them! I almost bought the same silicon trays at Target last week, but I talked myself out of it!

11. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen}
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

I have them from Target too ;) And hello – how insanely cute is this?!

12. Carrie - Carrie's Creations
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Cute idea!

13. Lora
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

I love those little hearts and used to hoade them around Valentine's Day to get a supply that would last through the spring. This idea is just adorable! Loven them and yay for the dollar bin at Target!

14. SweetKaramKapi
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

lovely cookie! would be a great one at the party

15. Kenz
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Love the baking stuff! Just so cute!!!

16. The Partiologist
    Posted January 27, 2012 at 12:16 am | Permalink

This is so cute and would go perfect with the upcoming Conversation Heart themed party I'm having. And, thanks for the info on the Dollhouse Bake Shoppe Party. I'm going to try my best to figure out how to link up! (Are you counting down the days until your book "drops"?? – I know I am!)

17. Tiffany@Fizzy Party!
    Posted January 27, 2012 at 4:16 am | Permalink

Great idea, so cute and I LOVE the virtual Valentine party idea. I'm going to have to pop over to see how that works. I'm thinking of having a virtual birthday party on my blog.

18. Karen @ Sugartown Sweets
    Posted January 27, 2012 at 4:53 am | Permalink

As this is my first year blogging for Valentine's Day..i feel like i've gone hearts crazy! I LOVE these :)

19. Posted January 28, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

So happy and cheerful! I can’t help but smile:)