marshmallow playing cards and memory game

Have you seen these new s’mores-friendly rectangle marshmallows in the supermarket? My mind raced with possibilities.  Games popped in first. Even though I don’t like the Memory game. (But I play a mean game of Gin. And Free Cell.)

I’ve never, ever been good at the Memory game. Ever. Oh, I remember what I overturn and what everyone else overturns, I just never remember where it was overturned. And I don’t like reminders of those things for which I have no talent. I’m funny that way. Luckily, I had no need to play this game through much of my adult life. Until I had a kid. A kid with an amazing memory. A kid who beats me at Memory. (In my defense, she’s only 4 3/4. It’s easier to remember 4 3/4 years of stuff than 39, I mean, 25, yeah, 25, years of stuff. My brain is a cluttered mess of knowledge and information from years of rigorous academic study; hers still has a few tumbleweeds rolling around and crickets chirping, so more room to recall where that other apple or unicorn card is sitting.)

I couldn’t even remember where I put the marshmallow pairs for the photos. I had to overturn almost all of them to find each match.  How is your memory?

But despite my aversion, somehow my first thought when I saw these marshmallows was “playing cards.” Which led to “Memory.” So there you have it. I should use these to practice while my daughter is at school so I can crush her in the next game of Memory.  I should also practice that tricky Hello Kitty puzzle and assembling that non-intuitive Barbie tent.

I see eating each card with a piece of chocolate as you make a match. Or maybe saving these for s’mores… I wonder if Dominos would work.

1. Posted June 6, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

OMG I would so just cheat and eat them, and tell everyone I won. They would never know.

2. Posted June 6, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

These are really cute! I haven’t seen these around though.

3. Posted June 6, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I used to see this style marshie more often, I will have to keep a look out, Sophia would like this for sure! Great Idea..I see this a fun idea to do on a playdate..the kiddos can make their memory game and play with each other. Love it.

4. Posted June 6, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

They look like so much fun!! Very cute too :)

5. Maria
    Posted June 6, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Loved them !! How do you make them flat? Just cut them in half?
    Thank you !

6. Posted June 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

This is one of the cutest ideas ever! I USED to be good at Concentration (the memory game). The last time I visited TX my 4 year old granddaughter would beat me each time, and I was trying to win! There were about 25 pairs. I did improve by the end of my visit:)

Posted June 6, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

I remember Concentration! Flashback to childhood (yeah, I wasn’t so hot at that.) Maria, I found rectangle marshmallows in the supermarket, I’m guessing a special for summer, “s’mores” marshmallows. I’m afraid if you cut them in half the sticky part would be too sticky to draw on. Hmm, maybe if you flatten a bit with a rolling pin? I may do some experimenting.

8. Posted June 6, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

Amazing! And I used to suck at memory too!

9. Posted June 7, 2012 at 8:27 am | Permalink

So cute! Ever since I saw those flat marshmallows my brains been on overdrive thinking of how to use them too.

Love this idea- can’t wait to play a matching game with my nephew. Great idea!!

10. Posted June 7, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Ooo flat marshmallows. I hope they come to this side of the pond and soon! I always love your marshmallow designs, so pretty and creative.

I too hate the memory game, I’ve never been good at it either. I remember not remembering (lol) where they were and getting frustrated, and scarred for life by it!

11. Posted June 7, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

I miss that memory game. The last I played was with gameboy, on Barbie game… :D

12. Posted June 8, 2012 at 9:03 am | Permalink

These are absolutely ADORABLE! Oh my goodness! I’ve yet to see the rectangle marshmallows, but now will be on the lookout for them. So, so cute!!!

13. Posted June 11, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Wow, it’s like we’re twins…I have a 4 year old daughter, I’m “25″, and I am terrible at Memory! Go figure! I’m going to keep an eye out for the rectangle marshmallows, too, so I can make these for the girl. She will LOVE them! Especially if I make a unicorn.;-)

14. Posted June 12, 2012 at 10:26 am | Permalink

I love these! Fantastic idea for an upcoming grandson’s birthday party!;)