I’m off to sunny Florida for a couple of days… I’ll be back posting away next week, but I’ll leave you with a tiny taste of sunshine and beaches with these palm tree and flamingo cookies.
For these cookies, I used this cut out cookie dough cut and baked into 2 1/2 inch circles, tinted some homemade fondant with a drop of Sky Blue Americolor soft gel paste, rolled it out and cut it into 2 1/2 inch circles, added a touch of frosting to the top of the cookie, and stuck the fondant on top.
Then I used my Americolor Gourmet Writers to draw the designs (for both, you’ll need black, brown, green, pink and yellow). That’s it.
how to draw a palm tree
1. draw and fill a brown trunk
2. with the green, draw a bunch of green lines in three or four bunches
3. outline the trunk with black (basically, a stack of progressively smaller “M”s)
4. roughly outline the bunches of green lines
how to draw a flamingo
1. draw and fill a pink tear drop shape
2. draw and fill a pink circle above it
3. draw a thick, curvy pink wave connecting the two
4. draw a number “4” for the legs with yellow
5. draw a beak and fill the tip with black
6. outline with black, adding wings and a dot for an eye, add yellow to fill the beak
Sue Sparks says
Great tutorial…love the number 4 for the legs:) Have fun in Florida!
So cute. Now I want to make something with these guys on it.
I just love your tutorials. Thanks for sharing them with us. Hope you enjoy your visit here, it's a nice time to come.
Chic Cookies says
thank you all! I'm lucky to have a Dad who lives in Florida… I love the feeling of the place from the minute I step off the plane when that tropical air hits me 🙂
Julie B. says
Adorable cookies! I live here in the heart of Florida itself, Orlando, so let me welcome you! 😛 It's pretty warm and sunny here right now, so I hope you get a chance to enjoy it. 🙂
These are great! Have a great trip.
So cute!! Hope you are having a wonderful time!!God bless-Amanda
Oh my, I just found you on flickr and didn't realize who it was [I forgot to bookmark your blog :(] Anyway I just wanted to say I saw your marshmallow fondant post and I'm happy you gave it a try! One thing that I do to cut the sweetness is add a dash of popcorn salt and lemon extract. I'll be sure to bookmark you this time ;]
Am decorating a flamingo cake for my niece’s birthday. I am NOT an artist. This is exactly what I needed! Thanks!
Thanks JJ! Good luck! 🙂
I hate to break it to ya, but the flamingo’s leg is backwards. They bend the other way.
Okey doke then. Everyone else: Draw the reverse.