watermelon cookies

I should clarify from the start that these are watermelon decorated cookies, not watermelon flavored cookies. But if you have a recipe for the latter, feel free to pass it along! I made these to bring to a BBQ party. (Sigh. A fruitless–pun intended–venture given I couldn’t go to the BBQ due to an unexpected hospital stay. Alas, alack, poor moi.)

how to make watermelon cookies

you will ne
ed:
dough
icing
3 inch (or greater) circle cookie cutter
sharp knife

frosting color (Americolor soft gel pastes used here, Super Black, Electric Pink, Electric Green, Leaf Green and Bright White)
5 disposable, 12″ decorating bags

5 couplers
5 decorating tips (1 size “5”, 2 size “4”, 2 size “3”)
5 rubber bands

squeeze bottle or spoon

step one: bake your cookies
Chill your cookie dough and roll out on a floured surface. Cut circles with the cutter, then slice in half with the knife to make semi-circles. Bake on a parchment paper-lined cookie tray according to recipe and let cool completely.

step two: make your frosting
Prepare 5 frosting bags and a batch of frosting (which should be thick enough to hold its shape when piped). You will need 5 colors: green, white, hot pink, lime green and black. 1/2 cup of each should be plenty, but make at least double of the hot pink. Mix colors and fill frosting bags, reserving half of your pink frosting. Black and lime green should have a 3 tip, white and hot pink should have a 4 tip, and green should have a 5 tip.

step three: decorate your watermelons
With green 5 tip, pipe the rind (I piped two lines for a thicker rind). Let set about 10 minutes. With white 4 tip, pipe line inside rind. Let set about 10 minutes. With hot pink 4 tip, pipe semicircle outline. Let set well, about 20 minutes. Thin remaining pink frosting with a few drops of water at a time until the consistency of glue. Fill squeeze bottle with the thinned frosting or just use a spoon to pour in the center of the watermelon. Let flood to the sides, encouraging with a small knife or spatula as needed until entire semicircle is filled. Let set well, about an hour. When set, pipe wavy stripes on green rind with the lime green 3 tip and pipe seeds with the black 3 tip (I piped a dot, then moved the tip a bit in one direction to make a little point.). Let set overnight if wrapping. TIP: If you click on each of the sets of step-by-step pics below, your computer should enlarge them for a close up view.

Comments

1. Jennifer says

Meghan, so cute. You need (meaning I want) for you to have host (to a few select bloggers-ahem) us at your house for exclusive lessons.

2. Chic Cookies says

awww, you are all the bestest for building my ego so nicely. Cute watermelons at family corner Amanda! Probably much quicker to make, too, and very kid-friendly. Alas, Jennifer, I’ve had such requests, especially from former customers, for years and years! I got so far as planning a class and never followed through. Something on my to-do list for sure (for all who come through the DC area!) now that you reminded me…

3. apparentlyjessy says

Wwaaaa! These are so COOL! I love the colours of water melons, they look great on a cookie! Hope you are feeling better now! x

4. Ginger says

Meaghan,

Would you mind sending a couple my way? (KIDDING) Your watermelon cookies are beyond incredible! Thanks for sharing all the cool pictures!

5. Food Recipes Made Easy says

Hi,

I was wondering since we have the same niche, it would really help our rankings as well as increase our hits by exchanging links. I love your blog and would like to share it to my readers.

Title: Food Recipes Made Easy
    URL: http://foodrecipesmadeeasy.blogspot.com/

Please drop me a comment once you have added my link so that I can do the same for you site. Please provide me with the title of the link as well as the url.

Thanks,
    Jenny

6. Lynne says

I just had an artificially flavored, mass produced store bought watermelon flavored and decorated cookie the other day. It was horrible! I almost spit it out immediately. I mean, I love watermelon, and I love cookies, but together? Those are two flavors that just should not mix. However yours are adorable! I may have to try a batch just to purge my memory of the bad ones. And so perfect for summer! Very cute!!

7. Chic Cookies says

Thanks everyone! I love comments, because it also helps me find great blogs like all of yours.

8. Bridget says

Oh, those are adorable!!! I actually gasped when I saw them. :) Love them all tied up with the ribbon!

9. Cakebrain says

hey, I made these once…a long time ago! and they didn’t look very good at all! If I had your instructions, life would have been a lot easier! So cute!

10. Thena says

Love them. Perfect timing. Just sent out daughter’s sleep-over invitations last week with a bitten watermelon on them. Also love the easy directions.

11. a. says

Those are fabulous!

I came over via CakeSpy because you mentioned Sea Girt – I currently live in Mantoloking :-)

12. Chic Cookies says

Thanks for stopping by a.! Something about shore folks–they have such an affinity for their towns and those nearby!

13. Elizabeth *^..^* says

Get outta town! Watermelon cookies! These are AMAZING! Would love to share my with blog readers. They would go perfectly with my upcoming project.

14. Chiara says

ABSOLUTELY amazing, and I love your recipe tutorial. I am now following you on Facebook. I shared your blog and the link to this post on my blog's Friday Favorites today. Thank you for the delicious idea!