marshmallow art

Marshmallow art is a super easy fun project for kids or grown-ups who love to draw. Personalize your marshmallows to match a party theme and serve or have marshmallow art as a party activity.

to make marshmallow art you will need:

• marshmallows
  • gourmet writers
  • skewers and/or lollipop sticks

*If you can’t find Americolor gourmet writers, as shown, most craft stores carry subsitutes (but I just adore Americolor products). I found a pack of 100 bamboo skewers for about 2 bucks at the drug store. Lollipop sticks are available at the craft store.

how to make marshmallow art:

Step 1. Skewer 1, 2, or 3 marshmallows.

Step 2. Open package of gourmet writers.

Step 3. Draw.

kid tip:
Kids should use caution with the bamboo skewers, as they are sharp. You can also skewer the marshmallows to create a hole, remove the skewer, and insert a lollipop stick instead.

marshmallow tip:
The stiffer the outside of your marshmallows, the easier to draw on them. If your marshmallows are very soft, you might want to let them sit at room temperature for several hours (or even overnight).

Below is my attempt to recreate Monet’s Water Lilies Painting 1:

Comments

1. Sherry says

What a GREAT idea, I will be doing this with my daughter! I love your blog and am your newest follower!!

2. South Family says

This looks fun!

I love decorating cookies – I have been doing it for about a year and it is so much fun!

Feel free to stop by my blog any time! It is just about my family, life and random thoughts… I enjoyed reading your blog tonight! :-)

3. Chic Cookies says

Awww, thank you all for your great comments and support! It really is such a fun and super-easy project. I'm sure I'll have lots more marshmallows to come…

4. TasteHongKong says

Though cookies or candies are not always my favors, I'm attracted by your pictures and joyfully read the posts here. Just about to share this post, but did I miss those buttons?

5. South Family says

We are having a luau for my little girls 2nd Bday – do you have any ideas that you can share? I just want to do something really cute to go with the theme.

For her 1st bday I did 5 inch "1" tea cake cookies and decorated them pink and green. I wanted to do something cute to go with her theme this year.

6. Chic Cookies says

Thank you new folks, too! Great feedback. TasteHongKong–thanks for the reminder! I need to make/figure out how to add a button. I'll get on it. Rachel–thank you for linking! You have the best roundups.

South Family–fun idea! I also did "1"s for my daughter's 1st. you can do tropical-fruit kabobs, candy/marshmallow kabobs, palm tree cookies (you can find a 3" palm cutter almost anywhere), have kids make their own leis, hawaiian shirt cookies, cupcakes with tropical flower sticker toppers (see my post on this from June, this is the easiest decor/dessert), have grass skirts and other dress-up stuff for kids… now I want to have a luau for my daughter's 2nd, too. Also, if you don't already know of it, orientaltrading.com has lots of cheap party finds. You have to dig a bit, and it isn't of stunning quality, but perfect for inexpensive, temporary wares.

7. Baking Momma says

That is an awesome idea. Even for a party for children to sit at a table and do and then take their pictures with their art work and make a scrap book for the birthday child. lol See I see marshmallows and now I have planned a party and everything lol

8. PuppyLovePrincess says

what a cute idea! easy, pretty, AND delicious… i'm linking for sure :) thanks for sharing your creativity!

9. Sidnie says

This is adorable!
    I might decorate some marshmallow monsters for a birthday thats close to halloween!
    So neat!

10. Adena says

These are amazingly beautiful. I have a daughter that will draw on anything blank, she would have a field day!!!

11. Chelsea says

I LOVE this! I am going to do this with the neighborhood kids at our Halloween street carnival! Thanks so much for sharing!

12. pawdua says

Great idea and really cute, but I'm not sure anybody would want to eat anything decorated by 11yo boys. All of them around here seem to be in a gross out phase. On the other hand, decorated marshmallows would make great bug or monster bodies. I'll just have to fugue out heads and legs.