fall showers

I still have a gutted kitchen (and lots of dust and boxes), but I thought I would share a fall shower gift idea. My trend is to purchase a gift from the registry and personalize it with sweets. I’m almost too predictable with this pattern. I bought my friend this gorgeous vase from her Crate and Barrel registry and, in honor of her Halloween-day wedding, filled it with a layer of orange jelly beans, a layer of lime green jelly beans, and topped with fall-themed painted marshmallows. Given aforementioned gutted kitchen, painted marshmallows are about the only thing I could create.

For how-tos on marshmallow art, see my post HERE. I used Americolor gourmet writers, found HERE.

To draw pumpkins: Draw the pumpkin first with the orange marker. Use the brown marker to draw the stem, and the brown to draw highlights on top of the pumpkin. Use the tip of the green to draw curly cue vines. Let colors dry about ten minutes between each color used.

To draw fall trees: Draw the trunk with the brown marker. To make leaves, make dots with the red, orange and yellow markers. Use the tip of the green marker to make grass.

To draw leaves: Draw the veins and stem with the brown marker and let dry about ten minutes. Sketch red around the veins and stem, then sketch orange or yellow around the red.

1. Marian
    Posted August 28, 2009 at 1:54 am | Permalink

Who woulda thunk?! What a creative, yummy and pretty idea!

2. James ~n~ Amber
    Posted August 28, 2009 at 2:05 am | Permalink

I'm gaga for these things ! So cute !

3. Bridget
    Posted August 28, 2009 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

You are the marshmallow queen! :) SO cute! What a darling gift!!!

4. Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer
    Posted August 28, 2009 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

WOW these are incredible!!! So Stinkin cute!!!

5. Anonymous
    Posted August 29, 2009 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

These marshmallow treats would make great Halloween surprises for kids with celiac disease( gluten intoleance).
    Lucille

Posted August 30, 2009 at 2:45 am | Permalink

Aw, thanks all. Great idea Lucille, for kids with allergies, too. (Though I'd have to check the ingredients of the edible pens, I'm guessing it's just food dye.)

7. J+S
    Posted August 30, 2009 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Meghan, you are so talented and I just want to copy everything you do! I love the marshmallow idea and this is the perfect treat for autumn!

8. Jennifer
    Posted August 31, 2009 at 12:05 am | Permalink

These are amazing. How do you come up with these ideas? Tell me you get them in your dreams and maybe I will fall asleep dreaming of sweet creations and wake up full of ideas. Thanks!!

9. Heather - CROQZine.com - Dollarstorecrafts.com
    Posted October 8, 2009 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Found via Crafty Crow. These are soooo cute! Great simple idea!

10. Christianne @ Little Page Turners
    Posted October 8, 2009 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness, this is the cutest thing ever! I can just imagine how excited my daughter would be to decorate her own marshmallows. Thanks for the idea!

11. luv 2 cook
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

OMGOMGOMG I have never thought of doing this!!! I love it. You could even do something with names as placeholders for a smore party pr halloween party. THANKS for the idea I just love it! I found by a link on epicute.com and now I am unable to look away. :)