happy birthday sesame street!

I’m proud to say my just-turned-2-year-old already knows lots of her letters and numbers. Thank you, Sesame Street, for this was not my teaching, twas yours. I grew up on Sesame Street, and it’s child programming that lacks the cloying insipidness (is that a word?) of so many other kid’s shows that I can happily watch along with my daughter.

Sesame Street turns 40 on November 10. Here is a super-easy marshmallow toast to Sesame Street (no actual toast, just marshmallows) in the form of Elmo, Oscar the Grouch and Cookie Monster. Forgive the lack of step-by-step photos and all around lack o’ imagery. I’m working on a borrowed computer :( as mine’s still sick. But these are so easy to make, hopefully all will be self-explanatory.

to make elmo, oscar and cookie monster marshmallows

you will need:*
marshmallows
skewers and/or lollipop sticks
clean small paintbrush

tray or small bowl
food colors (I use
Americolor soft gel pastes, Electric Green, Red and Sky Blue)
white rolled fondant

black and brown
gourmet writers
wax paper
rolling pin

1/2″ circle fondant or cookie cutter

*Find most of the above in any major craft store. Americolor products are harder to find (see their site), but you can substitute with craft store colors. Same with the gourmet writer.

step one: paint your marshmallow
Skewer a marshmallow to make it easier to paint. Add one drop of coloring to a clean paint tray or small bowl. Add a couple drops of water (by dipping your paint brush in water) and stir. Paint marshmallow red (for elmo), green (for oscar) and blue (for cookie). Let dry about an hour.

step two: make your eyes
Roll a small amount of white fondant about 1/8 inch thick between 2 pieces of wax paper (if fondant gets sticky, let sit at room temperature uncovered about 15 minutes). Cut out two circles for each marshmallow. Let set about 1 hour. When stiffened a bit, draw dots on white for eyes with the black marker. Oscar also gets brown eyebrows at the top.

step three: assemble your characters
Dab a drop of water on the back of each fondant circle with your finger and adhere to the top of each marshmallow in the front (the eye tops can extend past the top of the marshmallow). If the eyes don’t stick, you can also dab a drop of light corn syrup on the back. Draw mouths with the gourmet writer.

1. Sue Sparks
    Posted November 3, 2009 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

You are SO CREATIVE! These are adorable! Yippee for sesame Street!

2. bridget {bake at 350}
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 1:56 am | Permalink

So cute! You even got Oscar's eyebrows!

3. Yael
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 5:46 am | Permalink

Just adorable! Sesame Street is the best- we have a combined American-Israeli version here and I show it to my kindergarteners all the time! They love it. I'm going to use yor marshmallow idea for a class project!

4. cookies and cups
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

how adorable! you've taken marshmallows to a whole new level :)

5. Amanda
    Posted November 4, 2009 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Super cute! Didn't know it was SS's bday coming up, guess i'll need to make something for my craft blog :)

6. Cakebrain
    Posted November 5, 2009 at 6:26 am | Permalink

I grew up on Sesame Street and have it to thank for the fact I'm now an English teacher. My favourite character was Cookie Monster (of course!) Your monsters look cute! especially the Cookie Monster one!

7. Nina
    Posted November 5, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

What's really sad is:

"Those early years are now available on DVD; and the discs contain a disclaimer that essentially states that they are intended for nostalgia purposes only. The warning reads as follows:

"These early 'Sesame Street' episodes are intended for grown-ups, and may not suit the needs of today's preschool child."

Say what!? Never did I ever think I'd see "Sesame Street" and "intended for grown-ups" in the same sentence. "

8. Amanda
    Posted November 6, 2009 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Very kid friendly! I also gave you a shout on my my blog. There was quite a bit a feedback… I am surprised you didnt see it?

Blessings-
    Amanda

9. Rachel@oneprettything.com
    Posted November 7, 2009 at 8:02 am | Permalink

These are so, so, SO cute! I love them and I love Sesame Street! I'll be linking.

10. Greg Delaney
    Posted November 9, 2009 at 2:02 am | Permalink

I may have learned the equivalent of several years' worth of elementary education from Sesame Street

Posted November 10, 2009 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

awww, you guys are the bestest!

12. Mini Baker
    Posted November 10, 2009 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

haha SO CREATIVE! and super cute! I Love Sesame Street, my boyfriend does the best impression of elmo! haha

13. Michelle
    Posted November 11, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

I think I may try these today with sugar sprinkles as fur…….make them a little more 3d!! Fingers crossed…