conversation heart chocolates

These fondant hearts can also be used to top cookies, cupcakes, fudge, brownies… whatever suits your fancy. I used chocolate. Vegan chocolate, to be precise.

how to make conversation heart chocolates

you will need:*
white rolled fondant
assorted food coloring (including hot pink)

heart cutter (I used a 2 inch)
chocolate chips
baking pan

wax paper
rolling pin

icing
disposable frosting bag
coupler
size “2″ decorating tip
rubber band

light corn syrup

*Find fondant, the cutter, coupler, tip and disposable bags in the baking aisle of your craft store. Find coloring there, too, but I prefer Americolor soft gel pastes (a bit harder to find). I used Electric Pink, Sky Blue, Regal Purple, Orange and Electric Green. Instead of the frosting and bag stuff (the last 5 items on the list), you can also use gourmet writers.

step one: make your chocolate hearts
Line a baking pan with wax paper. I used a 9-inch square glass Pyrex brownie pan. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave or on the stove. I use a metal bowl sitting over a saucepan with simmering water. Pour chocolate into pan and spread evenly. Stick in fridge about 20 to 30 minutes until soft but not hardened. Cut out hearts with cutter and return to fridge.

step two: make your fondant hearts
Tint several chunks of fondant assorted colors. For pastels, use only one drop, maybe two, and knead very well. If fondant gets too sticky, let sit uncovered at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Roll fondant between two pieces of wax paper about 1/4 inch. Cut out hearts and set aside. Let stiffen about 30 minutes. Prepare frosting and tint hot pink. Fill a frosting bag fitted with size “2″ tip. Pipe sayings onto hearts and set aside to dry, at least a few hours.

step three: assemble your hearts
Dab corn syrup on the back of a fondant heart and simply place on top of the chocolate heart.

1. Mrs. Bogarde
    Posted February 12, 2010 at 1:41 am | Permalink

So beautiful. You are amazingly talented! Keep it up :) Wendy

2. Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com}
    Posted February 12, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

So cute, what a great idea!

3. Lorraine
    Posted February 12, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

I love this idea. So funny because I did the same thing with chocolate cookies: conversation cookies.

Posted February 12, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Aww, thanks everyone! I love comments :) I'm with you, Lorraine. When I worked at the store we did conv. heart cookies for years and I had never seen them anywhere, and this year, I've seen tons of them! Cookies (especially chocolate) are a great alternative to the candy, I think.

5. Marsha
    Posted February 12, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

Definitely trying this one! I invite you to enter my Valentine giveaway. You could win a pink, bead-knitted purse, hand-knit by me, with a chocolate bar charm.

S.W.A.K.

6. Rachel@oneprettything.com
    Posted February 13, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

I love that you used vegan chocolate for these!!!

7. Kim @ Frostmeblog.blogspot.com
    Posted February 13, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the blog love! Don't be jealous of my html hack work lol… love your logo!!! (and everything else more!) You inspire me to try my hand at cookies, but I am a little scared ;o)

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com

8. Didemin Pasta Servisi
    Posted February 14, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Beautiful cookies.

9. ashleycupcakes
    Posted February 14, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Hi! I stumbled across your blog while looking for cookie ideas aaand I'm falling in love with it.

I noticed in your post regarding candy clay and using it to make cute seashells that you were looking for an alternative to fondant. Have you ever tried marshmallow fondant? I've been making MMF for a couple years and it's so. easy. And tastes 3467296 times better than regular fondant. Plus you can flavor it anyway you want. Hello, awesome! I just wanted to suggest this forum (ironic that it's a Wilton forum hahaa)if you ever decide to give it a try. It helped me a lot and has great tips. Good luck and I can't wait to look through the rest of your blog! p.s. sorry this comment is so dang long!

Posted February 14, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks all! I'm dying to try marshmallow fondant, ashleyscupcakes, it would be so much better than store-bought fondant, I'm sure. Hmmm, perhaps an upcoming blog post…. and I love Wilton, so I'll definitely check out that link, thanks!!

11. Chocolate Gifts
    Posted February 17, 2010 at 2:09 am | Permalink

Hi Chic Cookies!
    You definitely have a brilliant idea doing this. You're such a creative person.Thank you for sharing your this.

Two thumbs up for a job well done.

:)…