i heart you marshmallow pops

Here’s another simple idea for Valentine’s Day marshmallows.

(I did have one of my readers express frustration at too many marshmallow ideas–understandable, as this is a cookie decorating blog–but perhaps my 2-year old’s creations at the bottom of this post can sway non-believers to accept the marshmallow.)

how to make i heart you marshmallows

you will need:
marshmallows
white rolled fondant

mini heart fondant cutter
pink or red food coloring
black edible pen

light corn syrup
rolling pin
wax paper

lollipop sticks

*Find the above (except marshmallows and corn syrup, in your supermarket) in the baking aisle of your craft store. I used a mini heart about 1/2″ wide. Find coloring and pens at the craft store, too, though I prefer the slightly harder to find Americolor soft gel paste food coloring and Americolor gourmet writers. Click the links for tips on where to buy.

step one: make your fondant hearts
Take a palm-full of fondant and thoroughly knead in a few drops of red or pink food coloring. Add drop by drop until desired color is achieved. If fondant becomes too sticky or difficult at any time, just let sit uncovered at room temperature for about 15 minutes or until easily pliable again. Roll fondant between two pieces of wax paper (roll thinly, about 1/8″, mine are a little too thick). Cut out mini hearts and set aside on wax paper to stiffen about an hour.

step two: attach your hearts
Dip your finger in corn syrup and dab on back of heart. Lay marshmallow on side and stick heart to marshmallow.

step three: write your message
Write “i” and “you” around the heart. Let marshmallow dry on its side until the heart is secure. If desired, insert lollipop stick.marshmallow art by a two-year old creative genius:

1. Sue Sparks
    Posted February 3, 2010 at 1:06 am | Permalink

So simple and so cute! The 2 year old is following in your footsteps:)

2. Baking Momma
    Posted February 3, 2010 at 1:31 am | Permalink

I personally love the marshmallow ideas. I dont like to eat them. But I love all the ideas and I think they are fab. BTW your 2 year old rocks! Those are awesome.

3. LiEr
    Posted February 3, 2010 at 3:25 am | Permalink

Meghan, love the marshmallow ideas! Today the girls and I did marshmallow art. The 3-year old painted hers completely red. The 5-year old painted bands of color so hers looked like a drum. The almost-2 year old just ate. If not for your idea of coloring marshmallows, we would have had quite a bland day today. Thank you!

4. Jean Badgley
    Posted February 3, 2010 at 6:26 am | Permalink

I originally started following your blog for the cookies but I LOVE the marshmallows too…they are so easy and fun to add to little gifts…it is amazing the different things that can be created. I love that you are showing us so many versatile things…thanks so much

5. justJENN
    Posted February 3, 2010 at 6:48 am | Permalink

BE THE MARSHMALLOW!!

6. Dee Light
    Posted February 3, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Marshamallow are wonderful :) and I love this idea. Thanks for sharing.

Posted February 3, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

You are all too hilarious and wonderful! Come to think of it, Baking Momma, I don't eat marshmallows either. Hmmm. Awww, thanks LiEr! It's amazing how long I can get my 2-year old to sit and paint on marshmallows. Like no other activity. Alas, I shall continue with more, though I definitely understand the angst, too, of wanting cookies cookies cookies as promised by my title.

8. Haniela
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

This is fun. I love your marshmallow projects!

Thank you for the shout out.:-)

9. Laural (bhealthier)
    Posted February 14, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Do you have a post on how to make fondant ???

I love the marshmallow pops! I think its cute, its along the same line as cookies but even better without the baking!

You have the cutes ideas! Im glad I found your blog!

One Trackback

1. […] baby food jars inspiration from these fine DIY’ers: Jenny J. Cook Events, Martha Stewart, and The Decorated Cookie Blog. Enter…my daughter…Stevie! Now enter Boeri…Stevie’s buddy! […]