finally…homemade marshmallow fondant (and swirly pops)

While I’ve always proclaimed the virtues of store-bought fondant (it’s ready made and easy to use), I’m not fond of the taste. So finally…. I tried my hand at homemade marshmallow fondant. I’ll likely never give up store-bought, but I’ll admit, marshmallow fondant is easy to make, easy to use, and did taste better. I still find the fondant too sweet for my taste, but I can’t begrudge the stuff. It is made of sugar and marshmallows after all.

This marshmallow fondant recipe is not mine. I compiled the advice and recipes found from these sources:

how I made marshmallow fondant:
2 cups mini marshmallows
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 pound confectioner’s sugar
Crisco or vegetable shortening

Grease a microwave safe bowl with Crisco. Pour 1 cup marshmallows in bowl. Pour 1 tablespoon water and 1 teaspoon extract over marshmallows. Heat in microwave until marshmallows puff a bit, about 20 to 30 seconds. Stir well until fully melted and smooth and runny. Put confectioner’s sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer with the flat beater (I greased the beater with Crisco. I’m sure a handheld electric mixer will work, too). Pour marshmallow mixture into the sugar and blend on low speed. Clean marshmallow bowl and repeat with another cup of marshmallows, 1 tablespoon water, and 1 teaspoon extract, melted and stirred. Pour into sugar and continue blending until dough forms. Knead briefly on a surface dusted with confectioner’s sugar. Wrap in plastic and let sit about half an hour. NOTE: I did the marshmallows in two batches because I thought one batch would be enough, but the dough was too dry. Next time I make this, I’ll try melting the marshmallows all at once.

to make colors:
Simply take about an egg size wad of fondant, add a few drops of coloring (start with one or two and add more as desired), and knead very well. A warning if you have an event to attend where non-stained hands are important: your hands will get stained. You can use the concentrated pastes from the craft store, though I prefer Americolor soft gel pastes (click the link, then click “Links” for tips where to buy.) The colors I used here are: Electric Green, Sky Blue, Orange, and Electric Pink.
to make swirly pops:
fondant in various colors
wax paper

rolling pin
confectioner’s sugar for dusting
sharp knife or pastry scraper
ruler
light corn syrup
lollipop sticks

Roll fondant about 1/4 inch thick between two pieces of wax paper (dust with confectioner’s sugar if sticky). Using the knife or pastry scraper and a ruler, cut out strips. For each pop, you’ll need two strips, one 1/2 inch by 4 inches and one 1/2 inch by 6 inches. Dab light corn syrup on top of both strips to help everything stick. Lay the smaller strip on top of the larger strip, centered. Start from one end and roll into a coil. Insert lollipop stick where outer strip ends and set aside on wax paper to dry.

1. Ashley
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 1:24 am | Permalink

I just made marshmallow fondant this weekend as well. I agree the taste is not bad and it was easier to make than I thought. I greased my KitchenAid mixer and used that. It worked really well.

2. TracyLH
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Alexandra and I will have to give this one a whirl. It looks much faster than the way we have been doing it. Thanks for sharing! :0)

3. Pink Little Cake
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

What a reat idea. These will look adorable in a candy cake.

4. Cooking Rookie
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

I love the idea of making fondant from ready bought marshmallows. Your recipe makes it sound so easy and I bet it tastes much better than a store bought fondant. Thanks for this very cute recipe!

5. Jenn's Crafty World
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

I used MM fondant last year for a cake. It's too sweet for me as well, but I prefer it to the store bought stuff. I guess you either like the taste of fondant or you don't!

6. Baking Monster
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

I have recently been hearing alot about marshmallow fondant and i have always just made regular fondant maybe since you tried it I will too. :)

7. Jennifer(Savor)
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

1. Our kitchen wall colors have to be the same brand

2. Must come visit and get creative together

3. Must sell your sets in my shop–must

8. Anh
    Posted March 18, 2010 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Great idea! Thank you.

9. Mr. P
    Posted March 18, 2010 at 10:48 am | Permalink

They are really sweet, they look like souped-up versions of oldfashioned sugar candy lollies!

Made in miniture, they'd look gorgeous on a cupcake.

10. Amanda
    Posted March 19, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

YEAH!! Thanks for posting this… I have been wanting to try making my own but am just too chicken… I think with your easy instructions I might attempt it! SUCH fun lolli pops too!

Blessings-
    Amanda

11. Sara's Sweet Surprise
    Posted May 22, 2010 at 6:19 am | Permalink

Hello Meaghan~Thank you for sharing this recipe. I use fondant in many of the confections I create. This will be a wonderful (tastier)change from the commercial brand I'm using now.

Sweet wishes,
    Sara

12. Carrie
    Posted May 25, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the easy instructions! I've always wanted to try MM fondant, but thought it was too complicated. This looks easy and quick!

Just wondering if you've tried kneading the food coloring in your kitchenaid with the dough hook? I suppose I could always wear plastic gloves if I had somewhere to go, right?

Posted May 25, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

I'm sure you could do that (I've mixed icing colors that way), the dough hook should be strong enough for the tougher consistency. I've never simply because I only mix tiny batches of color at a time, so it was less of a hassle to knead. They sell gloves for cake decorators, though. I think I even saw them at Michaels maybe?? Not sure how they are different from plain rubber gloves, but I thought about getting some…

14. Emi
    Posted May 25, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Yay! Thanks for the recipe and tutorial! I featured this on my blog. Come and check it out…
    jandeecrafts.blogspot.com

15. Anonymous
    Posted October 1, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

I am going to have to say that I have done months of research on the easiest and better way to make homemade fondant and have been unsuccessful! But I have made your fondant recipe today with an extra doze of the marshmallows… and it is the best fondant I have ever made! Thank you so much for being that break threw!!!!

Posted October 1, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Oh, sniffle, thank you Anonymous! I have to give credit to all the marshmallow fondant makers before me (see the links above!) But I'm also going to try and add a wee bit more marshmallows next time, too!

17. Farah Muzaffar
    Posted October 28, 2010 at 4:47 am | Permalink

My daughter is very fond of marshmallow and fondant, she uses to make it …Your recipe looks so easy and tasty.She read it and wants to give it a try… thanks a lot for sharing..
    Hope you would like to spare a little time on me at

Love
    Farah

18. dana
    Posted January 2, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

these are soo cute…ishould try this out….
    Happy new year!!!

19. The Girl
    Posted March 5, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

I tried to make this by myself. It didn't work out too well. I've never made it before, but all my family loved it! thanks for the recipe. I will try again. (P.S. I put it on a cake and it worked really well)

20. Jenni Price illustration
    Posted September 11, 2011 at 4:27 am | Permalink

I enjoyed reading this post! I've been thinking about trying out some marshmallow fondant myself on my painted cookies because like you, I don't like the taste of the store bought variety.

Anyhow, some people have suggested I try this kind of fondant so it was great to read you post on it.

How smooth would you say this fondant for painting on?

21. the decorated cookie
    Posted September 11, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

yep! Should be plenty smooth for painting. After topping whatever you're topping, I'd let it sit at room temperature for a few hours to stiffen though, before painting.

22. Jenni Price illustration
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for answering my question! I've got all the stuff to give marshmallow fondant a try! Thanks again!

23. canvas prints
    Posted November 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

My kids are going to love these, deliciously colourful!

24. yolly
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 8:32 am | Permalink

hi, we don’t have microwave at home…is there any other way to melt the marshmallow? i’d love to give this a try….thanks a lot

Posted February 13, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Hi Yolly,
    Yep! You should be able to use a double boiler, just stir constantly. Instead of a double boiler, I set a stainless steel bowl on top of a gently simmering ban of water. I even prefer it that way sometimes! When you transfer to a bowl for mixing, just make sure to grease the bowl and the beaters well with Crisco. Hope this helps, thanks!

26. Posted February 25, 2012 at 8:51 am | Permalink

I have a question: does this harden? Sorry if that’s a dumb question, but I have never played with fondant before!
    Thanks! :-)

Posted February 25, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Hi Tracy, not a dumb question at all!! The opposite. So the opposite (actually, have a little section in my book exactly on this). Fondant is a kind of bizarre texture, PlayDoh like. Left to dry, it will stiffen enough to handle, pack, ship, etc. if it sets a few hours. It won’t dry rock hard like gum paste though. And the surface stiffens well enough to decorate. You can paint with food coloring, use edible writers, etc. on the surface easily.

28. KelliT
    Posted March 9, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

My mind has been running crazy w/ ideas ever since I discovered your site. I love your ideas & you are so crafty! =) Thank-you for sharing your knowledge with all of us. I’ve always been scared of fondant, but I am ready (& excited!) to try this MM fondant. How long will it last, & should it be refrigerated? I’d like to experiment now & use some on my daughter’s b-day cake in a couple weeks. Would it last?

Posted March 9, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

Hi Kelli,
    Thanks so much! MM fondant does last quite a while and a couple weeks should be fine. But it can dry out easily, so wrap it super duper well. I wrap in SAran wrap, then TWO freezer-safe Ziplocs, kept at room temperature. If it gets a little stiff when you go to use it, keep kneading it and the warmth of your hands should help to get it pliable again. Another note since this is your first time working with it, it should be EASILY pliable. The flip side of dry fondant is sticky fondant. If it gives you least bit of trouble, it’s too sticky, and let it sit uncovered at room temp til it’s EASILY pliable. I use plenty of confectioner’s sugar on my hands if it’s sticky (even if it makes it look dusty, you can wipe it off later).

Good luck!

30. nikki
    Posted May 25, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

try using marshmallow creme that jet puff stuff from store then add vanilla and dyes it cuts half the work out works great

31. Tammy Mashburn
    Posted September 28, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I have only used the Satin Ice brand of fondant for cakes. I was this and am super excited about it. I live in Florida is this just as easy to roll out and use like Satin Ice and also does the humidity effect. Thanks

Posted September 30, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

It is, Tammy, though you may need a bit more confectioner’s sugar. Satin Ice is the best brand, so this may be just a wee bit less malleable than the fondant. I’d start with small cakes and see if it works for you. Also, during out crazy humid summers, I’ll sometimes run a fan in the kitchen to try and help.

33. deodile
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

I have been searching high and low. I found the same recipe you have here. Yes it’s a bit sweet but taste alot better than the box stuff. There are also other types you can make with out marshmallows just keep looking.

34. Paytz
    Posted December 2, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

How many cups did you use for a pound of confectioners sugar? i know it may be a stupid question, but i’ve been searching and some sites say 2 cups and others say 4 cups. sorry, need help.

Posted December 2, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Not a stupid question at all! I’ve actually had to measure out the box and bag to figure it out myself! A 1-pound box of confectioner’s sugar has just under 4 cups (I think it works out to about 3 3/4 cups). I buy the 2 pound bags which have just under 8 cups in it, because I use tons of powdered sugar.

36. Paytz
    Posted December 2, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

37. Jenn
    Posted December 18, 2012 at 9:34 am | Permalink

omg, I *love* your site!! everyone is super cute and I just want to make everything on here all at once! it’s been a practice in self-control :)

I have been working on my dayghter’s first birthday for the past couple months, and am about to start putting the pieces together (CandyLand theme on 12/30). I’m going to try my hand at the mm fondant for her smash cake and possibly her “to share” cake, and I’m just wondering what the yield is for the above recipe. thanks in advance! ~Jenn.

Posted December 18, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Thank Jean! One batch should be enough for decorations. And one batch should be enough to cover a cake. If you’re covering the cake AND making decorations, I’d start with one (depending on how big the cake and how many decorations), but be prepared to make two batches.

39. BrittanyHall
    Posted December 30, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

im wondering did you use 2lb of the powdered sugar or 1 because you split it into 2 but dont say how much you used with each..

Posted January 1, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

I just used 1 lb. The ingredients listed are the total used. If I recall, I just split everything in half to make 2 batches.

41. Drocell Cainz the Cooking Puppet
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Do you have to use vegetable shortening or Crisco?
    Does it make a difference if I do not use it?
    (Please answer as soon as you can, thanks! C:

Posted March 3, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Hi Drocell, It might not need to be Crisco, but you do need to grease the beater well or it will stick. I’ve not ever tried anything but Crisco, such as butter, but worth a try. It’s to make your life much easier :).

43. Drocell Cainz the Cooking Puppet
    Posted March 6, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Thank you! :) I really want to make it and I’m going to rush to the store to get some shortening stuff. I’ll try Crisco, thank you for the suggestion!!

44. Posted October 5, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Hi there. I love making fondant cakes for the sheer “awe” factor of their beauty but I need help with the cake flavor itself and thought you’d be a great source. The problem I’m trying to figure out is the frosting amount . As you know, you can only use a very thin layer of frosting when your covering the cake with fondant and as far as the taste, it’s just not enough frosting. Can you share your thoughts, tips etc? I’m making a cake for a baby shower and I’d love it to fast as grab as it looks. Thanks a bunch :)

45. Posted October 5, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

OMGOSH JUST RE-READ MY POST. I CLEARLY NEED TYPING HELP AS WEEL. LAST SENTENCE SHOULD BE I’D LIKE IT TO TASTE AS GREAT AS IT LOOKS !! LOL :)

Posted October 5, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Haha, I gotcha Denise! :) Fondant. Sigh. I feel exactly as you do about the stuff. It’s ideal for decorating because of the smooth, pliable surface. You can do anything you want with it, and it makes your cake look perfect. But I couldn’t agree with you more about the taste. I also find the frosting preferable. For that reason, I do add a thicker-than-I-should layer of frosting when covering a cake with fondant. However, if it’s at all ever possible, my preference is for the taste. So I usually frost the cake with frosting and then just make decorations on top with fondant. That way, guests can remove the fondant or eat around it more easily. Which then, of course doesn’t help ya’ much if you want to cover with fondant. I think there is just no getting around that fondant tastes like fondant. Cakes are not my specialty though. Some great sites to look at are I am baker, GloriousTreats.com, I believe Cake Central has lots and lots of tips, too. Maybe someone out there has found the secret!!

47. Jamie
    Posted April 20, 2014 at 12:22 am | Permalink

hey, i only need a small amount of fondant and was wondering what i would need to do to cut the amount in half… i dont want it to go to waste so i only want to use what i need….

Posted April 21, 2014 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Hi Jamie,
    I’ve done exactly that before when I only needed a bit. Cut the recipe in half. So 1 cup mini marshmallows, 1 T water, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 pound of confectioner’s sugar. There’s just under 4cups in a 1 pound box, so use a little less than 2 cups.