Santa’s belly cookie pops

I got the idea for these easy cookie pops from an ornament. This ornament from Alayna’s Creations featured on Gordon Gossip. So simple, so clever. And then I started seeing Santa’s belly everywhere. Like this candle at CraftBits (coincidentally the sister site of my other gig). And then I spotted this post by my friend and co-editor. See the napkin rings? And gift bag? And that glittery jaris by said friend and co-editor, Amanda. Everywhere. I’m not at all clever. So to add to the pile:

how to make Santa’s belly cookie pops

you will need:
dough
icing

food coloring (red, yellow, black)
2 1/4 inch circle cookie cutter
1/2 inch square fondant cutter
1 inch square fondant cutter (only if you can find one)
lollipop sticks
2 disposable frosting bags
1 coupler
1 size “4” decorating tip
2 rubber bands
scissors
fondant
rolling pin
confectioner’s sugar

knife or dough scraper

light corn syrup

*Find lollipop sticks (6-inch), frosting bags, cookie and fondant cutters, couplers, decorating tips, and fondant in the baking aisle of the craft store. The cookie and/or fondant cutters may only be found in a set. For food coloring, I use Americolor soft gel pastes (Red, Super Black and Egg Yellow). For tips on finding supplies click HERE.

step one: bake your cookies
Roll out chilled cookie dough about 3/8 inch thick. Cut out circles and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Insert lollipop sticks about half way into cookie. Make sure there is no stick poking through the front or back and that the sticks don’t touch each other on the tray. Bake according to the recipe and let cool completely.

step two: prepare your frosting
Prepare frosting according to the recipe. Tint about a cup red. You may need more, but I usually work with a cup at a time for a whole batch. Prepare a frosting bag with a coupler and tip. Fill with half of your red frosting and tie bag closed with a rubber band. Cover remaining frosting.

step three: decorate your background
Pipe a circle on the cookie and let set about 15 minutes. Thin remaining frosting with drops of water until the consistency of thick glue. Fill an empty frosting bag, tie closed with a rubber band, and snip about 1/8 inch from the tip. Loosely pipe the thinned frosting on the cookie, letting it flood to the edges and encouraging as needed with a toothpick. Let set very well, for several hours or overnight.

step four: add your belt
Take a chunk of fondant and tint black by adding a few drops of food coloring and kneading very well. Add more drops until desired color is achieved. If fondant gets too sticky from overhandling, let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes until easily pliable. Roll out fondant using confectioner’s sugar on the surface to prevent sticking. Cut a circle with the cutter used for the cookies, then cut a strip at the center with a sharp knife or a dough scraper. Using dabs of light corn syrup as glue, adhere to the cookie.

step five: add your buckle
Tint a chunk of fondant yellow and roll out as you did the black fondant. For each buckle, cut out a 1/2 inch circle. Then use a knife or dough scraper to cut a 1-inch square around the cut-out square. (Of course, if you can find a 1 inch square cutter, then this would be much easier, but I don’t have one.) Adhere the buckle to the cookie with dabs of light corn syrup.

Linking to….

1. Kathy Martin
    Posted December 3, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

How cute these cookie pops are!!! :)

Posted December 3, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

I LOVE it in cookie pop form! So cute! I may have to make some:)

3. Amanda
    Posted December 3, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

LOVE!!! These are awesome, I will add a link from my jar post :)

4. Jenni
    Posted December 3, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Hilarious! These might have to be my cookies to Santa this year, because they match the ornaments on my tree! Mine look different than the ones you posted… they are sparkly, red, gold and black. I bought them last year and they were the inspiration for my Red Gold & Black tree theme this year!

5. Catalina
    Posted December 3, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

That's pretty stinkin' cute. :)
    I am afraid of fondant though. heh are there any alternatives? :)

6. Paula
    Posted December 3, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

So cute! Great idea.

7. Stephanie
    Posted December 3, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

What a cute, clever idea! Great looking pops.

Posted December 3, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Thank you all so much! Catalina, I used to fear fondant, too, but it's so easy to use (craft store/store-bought brand). My 3-year old adores it (it's all sugar), I'll never love the taste though. You can also use marzipan. Or an easier, homemade marshmallow fondant (search for it on my blog if you need a recipe). Or do they make black fruit roll ups?

9. Danielle
    Posted December 3, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

So stinkin cute!!

10. Suzie
    Posted December 3, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

I love these! I'm so in love with santa belts.

I featured this on my blog.

11. CraftCrave
    Posted December 4, 2010 at 1:31 am | Permalink

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cooking category today [04 Dec 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

12. Zangari Studio
    Posted December 4, 2010 at 7:45 am | Permalink

Those are SO creative! I love these and can't wait to try to make them! I am definitely bringing these to my next cookie exchange party! Thanks for the fun idea and looking forward to more posts!

13. Mommyof2girlz
    Posted December 4, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Adorable pops!!!

14. Vibeke
    Posted December 4, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

So sweet. I like your blog. Very nice things :-)

15. Kendra@My Insanity
    Posted December 10, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks for linking up to our incredible cookie party! I have been following your beautiful cookies for sometime, now! I wish I had your ease in working with fondant. I'm making a microphone shaped cake today! Wish me luck!

These are great!

16. Ashley
    Posted December 10, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Those are too adorable! I have to say the stick makes them that much better. :)
    Thanks for adding these to the link party and posting it on Craft Gossip.

Thanks again!
    Ashley

17. Rachel Lynn
    Posted December 14, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Too Cute!

18. bridget {bake at 350}
    Posted December 16, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Oh, darling!!! LOVE Santa's belly on a cookie pop! You are TOO good!!! A few years ago, I saw huge Santa belly paper lanterns…I see a whole Santa Belly themed party! ;)