updated Valentine’s Day sandwich cookies

Anyone out there remember these from last year? Well, here’s an updated version. Follow the same instructions as HERE, but use a tiny mini heart cutter (a fondant cutter probably, found in the craft store) to cut out a little heart in the cookies you’ll use on the top of the sandwich, then immediately after you frost and stack, roll the edges in Valentine’s Day sprinkles and pour some in the little cut-out if you like.

If you don’t feel like revisiting the past, I posted the instructions below.
how to make chocolate heart sandwich cookies
you will need:*
buttercream frosting (or use store-bought)
2-inch heart cookie cutter
mini heart cutter
food coloring (pink or any desired color)
disposable decorating bag
size 10 decorating tip
coupler
rubber band
Valentine’s Day sprinkles
*Find the cookie cutter, decorating bag, decorating tip and coupler and sprinkles in the craft store. The heart cutters may be part of a set, or use fondant cutters. For food coloring, I prefer Americolor soft gel pastes (Electric Pink).
step one: bake your cookies
Follow the link above to make chocolate cookie dough. Roll out chilled cookie dough ¼-inch thick according to the recipe and cut out an even number of hearts. Bake and let cool completely.
step two: prepare your frosting
Follow the link above for the buttercream frosting recipe, or use your own or store-bought. Tint frosting pink. Prepare a decorating bag with size 10 tip, fill with frosting and close tightly with a rubber band.
step three: assemble your sandwiches
Pair up your cookies on the tray so each pair is of similar thickness. Turn over one cookie in each pair, outline the heart and pipe back and forth in a zig zag motion to fill the heart completely. Immediately top with the other cookie, the one with the cut out heart, flat side against the frosting. Roll the edges in sprinkles and sprinkle some in the little heart, if desired.

1. Amanda
    Posted February 5, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

So cute!

2. Haniela
    Posted February 5, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

♥♥♥ these!

3. Manni
    Posted February 6, 2011 at 1:14 am | Permalink

These are so cute :)
    love the heart cut outs and then the mini-hearts inside them!!

4. Deb @ PaperTurtle
    Posted February 6, 2011 at 1:48 am | Permalink

These are just SO cute!!! Thanks for the Valentine inspiration!!! xo

5. Lorraine
    Posted February 6, 2011 at 3:48 am | Permalink

Definitely going to make these!

6. Mandy Crandell
    Posted February 6, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Love the extra heart detail!

7. Fresh and Foodie
    Posted February 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

These are adorable. I love the extra little cutout on top.

8. La Dinette
    Posted February 6, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Cute cute cute!

9. Leanne
    Posted February 7, 2011 at 5:48 am | Permalink

Adorable! Love the updates to the style

10. Anne
    Posted February 7, 2011 at 5:50 am | Permalink

Adorable!

11. Etta
    Posted February 7, 2011 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Too nice!! :-)

12. Medeja
    Posted February 7, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Perfect cookies for the loved ones :) the pictures are stunning :)

13. El Hada de las Tartas
    Posted February 7, 2011 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Really beautifull! Phantastic! Congratullations!

14. Megan
    Posted February 7, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

I love that little heart window. It adds great personality. A cookie with personality…I like it!

15. Lorraine
    Posted February 8, 2011 at 2:34 am | Permalink

Hi Meaghan: Just curious which frosting you prefer for these heart cookies? I noticed you have a buttercream one here with the updated cookies and I have used the royal icing one with Crisco for the original heart sandwich cookies. Thanks so much. Can't wait to try these.

Posted February 8, 2011 at 3:07 am | Permalink

Either, Lorraine! I was so torn between the two that I did one each (royal icing for original, buttercream for the 2nd). Such a tough call. I'd say the buttercream makes them softer and is quicker to make? That's about the only difference I could conjure!

17. mari
    Posted February 8, 2011 at 4:37 am | Permalink

The window heart adds a nice touch of originality especially the angle at which it's cut. These are lovely!

Posted February 8, 2011 at 7:25 am | Permalink

Love the little window with the sprinkles:)

19. Kim @ The Celebration Shoppe
    Posted February 9, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

LOVE this idea Meaghan! Shared it with my readers this morning! :)

20. Moonlight Dancer
    Posted February 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

I'm making these right now for work. I had made cupcakes and had left over frosting so thought, I would give it a shot. Rolling the dough was tough as it kept sticking to my rolling pin, but all in all I think the cookies were pretty easy to make, we'll see how they turned out. I'll link you to my blog when I post photos.

21. ediblecrafts
    Posted February 13, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Great, can't wait to see! It helps to make sure your dough is chilled well, and flour flour flour your rolling pin!! If the dough is chilled you can brush it off well enough after you cut out your cookies that you don't see the flour on the chocolate.

Posted February 13, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

oops, that was me above, I was signed in on my other account.

23. Moonlight Dancer
    Posted February 13, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

I hope they do yours justice. Thanks so much for the great recipe.

24. Pinky572
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 2:01 am | Permalink

I made these but with brownies instead of cookies. Plus I wish I added the little heart cut out on top, it looks so adorable!

25. Posted January 30, 2012 at 2:38 am | Permalink

Love these – too cute!! Found them on Pinterest and featured you on my blog today :)

Feel free to come check it out!

26. Posted January 30, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

What a fantastic idea! Came over from artsyfartsymamas site and pinned your cookies. Can’t wait to try these!

27. Posted January 23, 2013 at 3:20 am | Permalink

These cookies are super beautiful!
    Thank you so much for sharing this idea :)