Guest Post!! chocolate sprinkle sandwich cookies from Heather of Sprinkle Bakes

Did I ever tell you all of one of my crushes? Lucky for my husband it’s a blog-crush. On Heather of Sprinkle Bakes. The crush combines my utter awe of the jaw-dropping sweets she creates with a bit of artistic jealousy at her genius. Just scroll through her site and you’ll see what I mean within seconds. This is my favorite.  Wait, no, another one of my favorites. Or this. Or I could go on. And in more good news, she has a book coming out in May! I’ve already cleared a spot on my shelf. You know how it is with crushes. I’m pretty giddy she’s guest posting today. Beyond giddy. My poor husband… So no more yakking from me, here’s Heather!!

I’m so excited to be guest posting at one of my favorite blogs today!  Meaghan has such a knack for creating cute edibles, I knew whatever I made for this post would need to be pretty darn adorable.  And I felt it was only right to make cookies, since this is “The Decorated Cookie”!

For me, the easiest way to go from zero to cute is to add sprinkles. This colorful, eye-catching cookie is one of my tried and true recipes.  I usually make them for birthdays and Christmas cookie platters.  The type of sprinkles I use are a soft variety that can be easily found in the ice cream section at grocery stores.  The sandwiched cookies remind me of little whoopie pies, and they are nearly as soft, but they still retain the slight crumble of a cookie.

If you’d like to increase the fun factor, you can sandwich the cookies between a lollipop stick.  Before standing the cookie lollies upright, make sure to let them rest on their side until the buttercream crusts. This helps to anchor the stick in place.  For an even better adhesive, dip the lollipop stick in melted candy wafers and lay it in the middle of a cookie before frosting and sandwiching with a second cookie.

Chocolate Sprinkle Sandwich Cookies

12 sandwich cookies

Cookies:

10 1/2 Tablespoons (2/3 cup) butter, softened

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder (such as Hershey’s Special Dark)

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/8 tsp kosher salt

1 large egg

1 tsp vanilla

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour

1 cup rainbow sprinkles (such as Mr. Sprinkles brand from the ice cream aisle)

12  6-8-inch lollipop sticks

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper.  Set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium speed until creamy.
  3. Add granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.  Mix well until combined.  Mix in the egg and vanilla extract. Scrape the sides of the bowl down with a rubber spatula as needed.  Beat in the all purpose flour.  Dough should not be sticky.
  4. Fill a small bowl with the rainbow sprinkles.
  5. Measure out dough by the level tablespoons.  Roll into a ball between your palms and roll dough ball in sprinkles until completely coated.  When all of dough has been rolled into balls and sprinkle-coated, place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  6. Bake for 12 minutes.

Filling:

8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened

1-1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1. Beat butter and powdered sugar in a large bowl with a hand mixer on low speed.  When almost incorporated, add vanilla and beat on high speed until light and fluffy.
  2. Transfer to a piping bag and fill cookies, or fill by spreading frosting on cookies with a small spatula.

Note:  Sandwich them with frosting or don’t – they are good either way.

Heather Baird
www.sprinklebakes.com

1. Rosa's Yummy Yums
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

A wonderful guest post! Those chocolate sandwich cookies are really cute and tempting!

Cheers,

Rosa

2. sheri
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I LOVE Sprinkle Bakes – and now, thanks to her, I've discovered your blog too!

3. Shannon
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

I love both blogs and these cookies are too cute. I love putting them on a stick. Everything is knocked up on the cuteness level when put on a stick!!

4. Amanda
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Those are so cute.

5. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen}
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

I loooove these and Sprinkle Bakes :) Yay!

6. elcuadernodeideas
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Son una preciosidad!

7. Emily
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Great post and now I've found a new blog I love – happy faces all round!

8. sue
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

super cute, I love them on the sticks.

9. Tina
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Awesome guest post, Heather is very talented. Glad to find you two here together on this post. Enjoy the day!

10. countrycuttins
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Great guest post, mine are in the fridge chilling as I write this. My little girls are giddy with excitement at the prospect of cookies COVERED in sprinkles!!! Thanks for sharing :)

11. Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

How cute! I've never considered rolling cookies in sprinkles before but I am definitely going to keep this one in mind.

12. How To Be Perfect
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

I love both of your blogs and I love these cookies! So cute and I think I even have some jumbo sprinkles at the bakery somewhere, going to have to dig them out! X

13. Kathy - Panini Happy
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

These are SO cute! The sprinkles get me every time. :-)

14. alicia
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Beautiful!!!

15. nicole {sweet peony}
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

omg these are adorable! i love heather @ sprinkles bakes… so nice to see her here!

16. Lili
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

Heather, these are so adorable! They DO look like mini whoppie pies — with sprinkles! I wondered where you found those sprinkles — I never would have thought to look at the ice cream section! So excited to find yet another beautiful blog over here to follow. ~Lili

17. Butter Hearts Sugar
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

Oh my gosh they are too cute!!

18. Lora
    Posted November 17, 2011 at 1:30 am | Permalink

These are darling and I am a HUGE fan of both of your blogs. Can't wait for the books.

Posted November 17, 2011 at 2:02 am | Permalink

These are MOST DEFINIETLY some of the prettiest sandwich cookies I've ever seen! How cute they are on a stick! I will have to try them:)
    What a treat to have two of my favorite bloggers together in one place, sort of:)

20. ButterYum
    Posted November 17, 2011 at 5:13 am | Permalink

These are the most adorable things ever! Love the colorful sprinkles.

21. cookies and cups
    Posted November 18, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Perfectly cute! It's like a Heather/Meaghan mash-up! I love it!

22. Cheryl @ Sew Can Do
    Posted November 18, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Super cute and tasty looking. I'm a total sucker for anything with sprinkles. LOVE.

23. Anonymous
    Posted December 14, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Hi, these are adorable Im going to make them with my kids for their teachers. Any make ahead tips?

24. the decorated cookie
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 2:10 am | Permalink

Hi Anonymous, I know, aren't they just adorable?? I would guess they are freezable before adding the frosting (when I freeze my cookies, I package them in single layers in freezer-safe Ziplocs, then let them thaw completely in the bag before opening.) This was a guest post from Heather of Sprinkle Bakes. I bet if you visited her at SprinkleBakes.com, she might be able to give a more helpful answer! :)

25. Anonymous
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Thank you Decorated Cookie :) Great blog you and sprinkle bakes are an awesome pair. Happy Holidays!

26. Anonymous
    Posted December 15, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

27. mary
    Posted August 18, 2013 at 5:16 am | Permalink

when you roll the dough balls into the sprinkles, do you flatten them before you bake them?

if you want to make the dough balls in advance will the sprinkles bleed through the dough?

Posted August 18, 2013 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Hi Mary, I’m not sure! This was a guest post by Heather of Sprinkle Bakes. But if you follow the links to her blog, I’m sure she’d be able to help you! thank you for visiting! meaghan