vegetable garden cookies

These garden cookies were inspired by this vegetable garden mini quilt featured at The Purl Bee last year. Dang, I wish I could sew. Yep, I don’t sew. I don’t garden either.

It’s not that I don’t appreciate the concept of gardening. I do, really, and I wish that I had knowledge of how things grow because it’s beautiful and fascinating. But it’s just not knowledge I retain. Worse, plants seem to whither when I merely walk past them. And if I ever know you, do NOT ask me to water your plants when you go out of town. I’ll try and water them, I will. But I’ll do something terribly wrong and you won’t come back to your plants. They will meet their fates early.

So I leave our yard to my husband who knows more because his mom knows everything there is to know about gardening.

Keeping plants safe and sound on cookies is more my speed I think.

To make these, I cut out 2 1/2 inch squares from my cookie dough. I prepared royal icing, tinted blue and brown with Americolor Soft Gel Pastes (Sky Blue and Chocolate Brown). Then I outlined and flooded the top half with blue and the bottom half with green, and let the cookies dry overnight. Next, I tinted some fondant with two shades of green, off-white, white, orange, red and purple. Then I rolled out the fondant and cut out shapes for the veggies. I adhered the veggies to the cookies with a little light corn syrup, and let them dry.

Comments

1. Elizabeth Murray says

So cute! I am great at gardening but I have a feeling I would not be able to make these cute cookies! ha!

2. meaghanmountford says

Beth, feel free to come over and garden ANY time! Kristan, yes, yes it does. Yeah, all the plants on our porch are courtesy of MIL.

3. says

Meaghan, These are just about some of the CUTEST cookies I’ve ever seen! Darling idea!
    We always plant a variety of squash and sunflowers, because we have good luck with them:)

4. says

This is the perfect way I can eat my daily vegetable intake.I love seeing gardens, flowers and beautiful plants in other people’s backyards. But I do not have any talent when it comes to plant anything,plants don’t like me.

5. Sweetsugarbelle says

I have the same darn disease, lol!!! I call it the black thumb…but oh well, peoe like cookies rather than veggies, right?!

6. meaghanmountford says

Yay, thank you all for your no-gardening support! Kind of glad to know I’m not alone, though I, too, love looking at the fruits of OTHER people’s labor! Sue, I did buy a little sunflower kit from Target to do with my daughter, and so far, they are still alive! I consider that a huge success.

7. says

Love these! What a great idea for Spring, a tea party, or even Mothers’ Day. I have a black thumb and can’t even tell the difference between a flower and a weed, so I, too, only garden in sugar. Real gardening is waaaay too hard.

So, any book tour plans yet?!?!?! I will keep pestering you about this…..

8. says

Gardening is a sure sign of spring. The cookies are so “cute” I will be writing a blog post with a link to your site along with the appropriate credits. Thank you.