vegetable garden cookies

These garden cookies were inspired by this vegetable garden mini quilt featured at The Purl Bee last year. Dang, I wish I could sew. Yep, I don’t sew. I don’t garden either.

It’s not that I don’t appreciate the concept of gardening. I do, really, and I wish that I had knowledge of how things grow because it’s beautiful and fascinating. But it’s just not knowledge I retain. Worse, plants seem to whither when I merely walk past them. And if I ever know you, do NOT ask me to water your plants when you go out of town. I’ll try and water them, I will. But I’ll do something terribly wrong and you won’t come back to your plants. They will meet their fates early.

So I leave our yard to my husband who knows more because his mom knows everything there is to know about gardening.

Keeping plants safe and sound on cookies is more my speed I think.

To make these, I cut out 2 1/2 inch squares from my cookie dough. I prepared royal icing, tinted blue and brown with Americolor Soft Gel Pastes (Sky Blue and Chocolate Brown). Then I outlined and flooded the top half with blue and the bottom half with green, and let the cookies dry overnight. Next, I tinted some fondant with two shades of green, off-white, white, orange, red and purple. Then I rolled out the fondant and cut out shapes for the veggies. I adhered the veggies to the cookies with a little light corn syrup, and let them dry.

1. Elizabeth Murray
    Posted March 29, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

So cute! I am great at gardening but I have a feeling I would not be able to make these cute cookies! ha!

2. Posted March 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

I LOVE these!! So cute and creative.

If I eat these, does it count as gardening?

3. Posted March 29, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Love these Meaghan! And I sheepishly admit that my MIL comes over ever year to plant flowers and do some landscaping. She loves it and she lives in an apartment now. So it’s a win win. Right? :)

Posted March 29, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Beth, feel free to come over and garden ANY time! Kristan, yes, yes it does. Yeah, all the plants on our porch are courtesy of MIL.

5. Posted March 29, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

How fabulously clever! They’re precious!

6. Posted March 29, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Love this idea..these turned out very cute! Gardening is not my thing either. My husband takes care of everything outside as well. Love to look at it..just not get hands in it!

7. Posted March 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

those are totally, totally precious!

(And the ONLY way I could grow veggies!}

8. Posted March 29, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Aww! Vegetables served up on a cookie are the best way to eat them! So cute Meaghan.

9. Posted March 29, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

The crumbled chocolate cookie dirt is a brilliant idea. Everything you make is breathtakingly adorable.

10. Posted March 29, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Meaghan, These are just about some of the CUTEST cookies I’ve ever seen! Darling idea!
    We always plant a variety of squash and sunflowers, because we have good luck with them:)

11. Posted March 29, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Really cute!

12. Posted March 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

This is the perfect way I can eat my daily vegetable intake.I love seeing gardens, flowers and beautiful plants in other people’s backyards. But I do not have any talent when it comes to plant anything,plants don’t like me.

13. Posted March 29, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

so cute, I always kill plants too, even the cactus die when I get them.

14. Sweetsugarbelle
    Posted March 29, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I have the same darn disease, lol!!! I call it the black thumb…but oh well, peoe like cookies rather than veggies, right?!

15. Posted March 29, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

These are adorable

16. Posted March 29, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

They are adorable! Just keep on baking-gardening can wait ;-)

17. Posted March 29, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Those are so cute. I LOVE them!!!

Posted March 29, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Yay, thank you all for your no-gardening support! Kind of glad to know I’m not alone, though I, too, love looking at the fruits of OTHER people’s labor! Sue, I did buy a little sunflower kit from Target to do with my daughter, and so far, they are still alive! I consider that a huge success.

19. Posted March 30, 2012 at 12:23 am | Permalink

These are beautiful! For a farmer/gardener like myself, these would be the perfect cookie to decorate any table.

20. Carly
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 1:13 am | Permalink

So cute. I want to make these out of polymer clay for markers in my garden!

21. Posted March 30, 2012 at 4:27 am | Permalink

I neither sew nor sow! But I so love these cookies! Absolutely adorable. :)

22. Posted March 30, 2012 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Love these! What a great idea for Spring, a tea party, or even Mothers’ Day. I have a black thumb and can’t even tell the difference between a flower and a weed, so I, too, only garden in sugar. Real gardening is waaaay too hard.

So, any book tour plans yet?!?!?! I will keep pestering you about this…..

Posted March 30, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Love that idea Carly!!

Posted March 30, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Thank you Jennifer! I secretly wish to be a farmer/gardener, sigh.

25. Posted March 30, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

These are the cutest vegetables I’ve ever seen!

26. Posted April 2, 2012 at 8:42 am | Permalink

totally adorable! This is the kind of vegetable I can get behind :)

27. Posted August 28, 2012 at 7:03 am | Permalink

if only I patience to make cookies as beautiful as yours. Great work.

28. Posted March 13, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink